Where Is Our Hobby Headed?

@qball, noted on purchasing that .30 for $600. Still need an air source and various sundries.... Too complicated for the casual criminal... I don't believe there are violent criminals out saying... "Gee that .30 AEA at $600 is just what I was looking for, for drive bys. 🙄

I hope you are right for a long time. With social medias and YouTube not sure if that will stay true, only time will tell. Not all criminals are dumb and they don’t need to buy everything, they just repatriate from someone.

@qball, Not saying criminals are dumb... just a red herring in this topic. Criminals will pick a firearm over an gun for their trade everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. The criminal use of anything? Is criminal... so circular arguments aside. The air gun hobby is looking good from my point of view.

I can only hope you are right and I’m just being paranoid.

@qball, noted on purchasing that .30 for $600. Still need an air source and various sundries.... Too complicated for the casual criminal... I don't believe there are violent criminals out saying... "Gee that .30 AEA at $600 is just what I was looking for, for drive bys. 🙄
that is the bottom line,.....Expensive, limited shot count, much bigger, much less powerful, I agree with your point 100% and been arguing it for years whenever the subject comes up.

Reactions: L.Leon
Bigger, badder, better is what the manufacturers need to stay in business. But that is not only in this business. We are a fickle species, and very much influenced by what goes on around us. All of manufacturing uses this to their advantage regardless of the damage it may do. In our sport, the continued pursuit of Bigger, badder, better will be the downfall and the reason for the regulations form mostly ill informed people who will decide what I can and can not have. And If you think they will be stupid enough to tie them to real firearms restrictions, you may be in for a surprise. It will be much easier to put regulations in place without the protections afforded to actual firearms. Personally, since I do not hunt, i am completely happy to exist in the .25 cal and under catagory. But the big bore stuff will bring us all under government scrutiny.

Reactions: kanmotexacal
Bigger, badder, better is what the manufacturers need to stay in business. But that is not only in this business. We are a fickle species, and very much influenced by what goes on around us. All of manufacturing uses this to their advantage regardless of the damage it may do. In our sport, the continued pursuit of Bigger, badder, better will be the downfall and the reason for the regulations form mostly ill informed people who will decide what I can and can not have. And If you think they will be stupid enough to tie them to real firearms restrictions, you may be in for a surprise. It will be much easier to put regulations in place without the protections afforded to actual firearms. Personally, since I do not hunt, i am completely happy to exist in the .25 cal and under catagory. But the big bore stuff will bring us all under government scrutiny.
Again, been hearing this argument for a decade and a half,..."the sky is falling" "the sky is falling"

Much bigger fish to fry out there then come after Airguns, they cannot even get together to really regulate firearms, airguns are safe.

Reactions: L.Leon
Again, I agree with you Ed (elh0102). Also, don't forget that our "God given rights" were not "GOD GIVEN", they were "politician given" at a time when the peak of technology allowed one shot a minute with useable accuracy of 150 yards. Don't think they ever saw 800-1000 rounds per minute @ 800 yards being in the hands of the common man (or hand grenades, bazookas, 50 cal. Sniper rifles, etc).
Nor did they see them in the hands of the government, either. What the founding fathers intended was for the populace to be able to defend themselves against a tyrannical government, and in fact be able to overthrow it if it went off the rails and began encroaching on the people's freedoms. Single-shot firearms or 5-shot capacity magazines aren't going to accomplish that nowadays .

Reactions: kanmotexacal
Nor did they see them in the hands of the government, either. What the founding fathers intended was for the populace to be able to defend themselves against a tyrannical government, and in fact be able to overthrow it if it went off the rails and began encroaching on the people's freedoms. Single-shot firearms or 5-shot capacity magazines aren't going to accomplish that nowadays .
Correct.

Also, many people seem to forget that despite the fact that the weaponry at the time was relatively slow and rather simple, they were the very apex of firearms development. To imply that the founding fathers thought they were granting people a right because weapons were quaint and ineffective (as compared to today’s firearms) is simply wrong.

But in regards to airguns, I definitely see regulation in the future. There are always naysayers, but it will happen. It’s just a matter of time. Especially in places like California and other states known for their hostility towards the shooting sports.

Reactions: Triggernosis
Well, we can decide to live in a state of paranoia or just go out there and enjoy everyday to the full extent.

They can't even stop the online sales of 80% assault weapons kits that can be turned into fully functional high power, high rate of fire weapons in a few minutes work at home,......they can't even get together on a simple gun reforms bill that in reality changes very little in the big scheme of things,
you can still order muzzle loaders and black powder pistols on line.

Airguns are toys, expensive, slow moving, complicated, big, heavy, long, in need of extra external air sources toys in comparison of what you can easily get out there.

Well, we can decide to live in a state of paranoia or just go out there and enjoy everyday to the full extent.

They can't even stop the online sales of 80% assault weapons kits that can be turned into fully functional high power, high rate of fire weapons in a few minutes work at home,......they can't even get together on a simple gun reforms bill that in reality changes very little in the big scheme of things,
you can still order muzzle loaders and black powder pistols on line.

Airguns are toys, expensive, slow moving, complicated, big, heavy, long, in need of extra external air sources toys in comparison of what you can easily get out there.
You clearly underestimate the stupidity of American politicians.
They have no concept of the difference between semi-automatic and fully-automatic firearms.
They have no concept of the difference between a peaceful demonstration and a riot.
They're unable to figure out which toilet to use.
Never, NEVER, underestimate a politician's ability to *mess* things up.

Reactions: Triggernosis
You clearly underestimate the stupidity of American politicians.
They have no concept of the difference between semi-automatic and fully-automatic firearms.
They have no concept of the difference between a peaceful demonstration and a riot.
They're unable to figure out which toilet to use.
Never, NEVER, underestimate a politician's ability to *mess* things up.
Again, you can choose to live your life in a constant state of paranoia or live to he fullest enjoying every single day,......I take the latter :)

....Going hog hunting in a few minutes with my airgun ;)

The OP asked about, "where our hobby is headed?" How dumb some politicians might be? Or are? Was not asked. Our hobby is in the midst of wonderful innovations at price points to suit most shooters... Enjoy the sport as you legally see fit and allow others to do the same. Together strong, separately? Not so much.
True enough. But as airguns become more advanced and powerful, we have to understand that lawmakers will be waiting in the wings to foist their fears and projections upon us.

I think everyone who lives in places like California already know this. Many of you are fortunate enough to live in states where the word freedom actually means something. Thus, I think it’s easy to dismiss the concerns of those who are constantly being hammered by state legislatures hostile to anything that shoots.

Rest assured, regulation WILL happen. Maybe not in your state, but in California it’s just a matter of time.