Where Is Our Hobby Headed?

Wise to keep "air guns" and powder burners separate, in thought and function.To do so will take work and education.

More problems because of more people and less responsibility and respect.

To use misguided quotes only brings attention to why people use them against them.

Enough of the BS ,the self-righteous attitude and holier than thou.

The question was air gun-related and because the last word is gun,a word that can be defensive or offensive, people get confused and can become human, another word that at one time promoted growth and tried hard for humanity.

The question was a good question, but like a person that had too many drinks became a stumbling exercise.

Don't languish in my thoughts,get out while you can or become part of them.LOL

I liked the hobby 10 -15 years ago...especially the yellow forum. What a great time to be the hobby back then. It was sooo enjoyable readin the different posts from a bunch of characters on that forum.

Springers co2 pumpers were the rage at the time and pcp were up and coming.

The classifieds on the yellow were intense...hard to explain. 

Oh well...

I too miss the old Yellow, a lot more fun and personal back then.

Our hobby is heading the way of gasoline $$$$.

For the lovers of PCP, it is way better and so many new products all the time,$$$$

PCP has made it easier to shoot better, shoot harder, and farther;I see the PCP part evolving for some time;

then new gimmicks will come about, add-ons, chrome handles, and billet do-dads.

PCPs are kool and are like the newer thing, though they have been around for decades.

Alas, the poor neglected springer will never be a new thing again,the same old model by the same old companies.

Not to worry springer people, rejoice in the utter simplicity of that old-fashioned air gun that takes more than a huff of air to get it to shoot.

Add the benefit of the springer truths,a study hold,a strong arm, and knowing how age has affected both.

I think airguns are going to grow in importance over the next many years primarily because most non air gunners see them as not a real gun. Gun clubs/outdoor ranges have been under public pressure for many years for a variety of reasons. Noise, lead pollution, anti-gun sentiment, land cost, operating costs, etc. Luckily in many states ranges are grandfathered in to stay open but even with that they can be closed or forced to alter their operations. Trying to build a new outdoor range and meet all the environmental and safety requirements is getting to be almost impossible in many areas. Noise is a huge obstacle because it travels so far beyond property lines. Airguns can be more easily moderated for noise and for way lower cost than a PB. It’s not unreasonable for neighbors of a gun range to expect all rounds land on range property. The expense of adequate backstops, No Blue Sky, etc. is a tough nut to crack for Powder burners. Again airguns shorter range and less long range leathal power makes them safer to the neighbors. I think airguns are going to be a substantial part of the shooting sports in the future just because of places available to shoot. I know for myself if my options is shooting silhouettes this weekend with my airgun or not shooting at all I’m all in with a airgun. And I think that will be the future choice for a lot of shooters.

I think airguns are going to grow in importance over the next many years primarily because most non air gunners see them as not a real gun. Gun clubs/outdoor ranges have been under public pressure for many years for a variety of reasons. Noise, lead pollution, anti-gun sentiment, land cost, operating costs, etc. Luckily in many states ranges are grandfathered in to stay open but even with that they can be closed or forced to alter their operations. Trying to build a new outdoor range and meet all the environmental and safety requirements is getting to be almost impossible in many areas. Noise is a huge obstacle because it travels so far beyond property lines. Airguns can be more easily moderated for noise and for way lower cost than a PB. It’s not unreasonable for neighbors of a gun range to expect all rounds land on range property. The expense of adequate backstops, No Blue Sky, etc. is a tough nut to crack for Powder burners. Again airguns shorter range and less long range leathal power makes them safer to the neighbors. I think airguns are going to be a substantial part of the shooting sports in the future just because of places available to shoot. I know for myself if my options is shooting silhouettes this weekend with my airgun or not shooting at all I’m all in with a airgun. And I think that will be the future choice for a lot of shooters.

+1

Excellent ideas. 

Thoughtful post.

👍

I got into airguns because they were quiet so I could shoot them in my yard without hearing protection and because they are accurate, and I just find them more interesting than powder burners.

I feel like the trend towards slugs and more power will attract unwanted attention and possibly cost us the ability to buy airgun silencers without a tax stamp or any of the other “luxuries” we enjoy now.

Heck, the new 800mm slug tuned impact competes with a 22lr and it’s so loud you need hearing protection. At some point when airguns are equal to powder burners in noise and power - what’s the point of the airgun anymore?

Reactions: kanmotexacal
On one hand you have a very strong common ground that powder burners and air guns be kept separate (for legal reasons)

On the other hand of the same beast, you have a majority of consumers and producers trying to close the gap to be nearly indistinguishable in performance between air guns and powder burners.

I agree with the sentiment of, what's the point of air gunning if you end up going full circle?

The last few years and the next few year have put the nail in the coffin for me personally, unless this slug and big caliber fad dies, I'll stick to myself and remain fairly traditional in my personal air gun practice.

I liked the hobby 10 -15 years ago...especially the yellow forum. What a great time to be the hobby back then. It was sooo enjoyable readin the different posts from a bunch of characters on that forum.

Springers co2 pumpers were the rage at the time and pcp were up and coming.

The classifieds on the yellow were intense...hard to explain. 

Oh well...

Yeas it was exciting, "Yellow" and "Adventures in airguns"

.....and even back then with the few Big Bores around the "sky is falling" airguns will be regulated was very much alive and after 15 years nothing happened.

You can still buy Muzzleloader by mail, I don't see airguns regulations come anytime soon,...can't compare with countries like England where even bowhunting is not legal.

While we can debate the value of “Progress”, for me there is only one “truth”. That is that Things Change. They always have and they always will. I’m no longer a kid, but I have been hearing exactly the same music since I was one. Namely, something along the lines of “why do we need this? Things are going to hell in a hand basket! Things were better before. I don’t like change. This will cause the government to intervene, sky to fall, end of all things, etc., etc.,

I personally feel that these are the absolute best of times for air gunners. I personally have zero nostalgia for the “Old Days”. I love PCPs and will not consider buying anything else. I do not ever shoot any of my springers and will probably never buy another CO2 powered gun. There are aspects to the PCP world that don’t turn my crank, such as full auto airguns, but that’s just me. Other people love them and that’s fine. I fully expect that we will continue to see evolution in our airguns, and one of those will be more power. I don’t shoot a lot of slugs, because I primarily shoot in my yard at 50 yards and under. I absolutely do not want any errant shot to have any possibility of going off my land, and pellets degrade so rapidly past 100 yards that I am pretty safe as long as I stick to pellets. I have many firearms for any time I want to shoot a bullet. However i still appreciate the progress made with enabling our airguns to shoot slugs accurately and with power. Not for me, but still change and progress.

The real issue will be our behavior. At the end of the day, irresponsibility in the use of the wonderful airguns we have will be the thing that will change our environment for the worse. Even saying that, I don’t see major changes unless we have a lot of irresponsible shooters annoying neighbors and endangering people.As pointed out above, one can still buy muzzleloaders by mail, and even black powder revolvers have far more power than most mainstream airguns. 

Reactions: bamavet55
Back in the 1950's and early 1960's most young boys had BB guns and routinely carried them to Boy Scout meetings and out "hunting" for birds and rabbits. Times changed and boys were discouraged from carrying guns and the Boy Scouts were infiltrated by perverse leaders. The industry has lost several generations of youth as customers. FT matches are attended mainly by older men born in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, the Boy Scouts are in a severe decline and the only youth taught gun safety are the children of law enforcement agents, farmers, ranchers and military veterans. The industry should participate in gun safety classes, FT matches, benchrest matches and airgun shows for youth with reasonably priced guns available for use at these events.

Well said and somewhat prophetic as well. If the industry wants to survive the coming regulations and the fall off due to their customer base aging, they would be very well served to start sponsoring youth events and youth training as was done by the NRA before it lost favor in so many eyes.

If you don't have any customers, you can't sell any guns. If you the think coming regulations are not going to impact the AG industry also ... think again.

Reactions: kanmotexacal
Seems crazy to me for any hobby/interest to be against innovation. Seems pretty silly. Honestly I certainly don’t worry about regulation invading the hobby. The left is far too worried about those black evil rifles to care about our airguns. Heck they can’t successfully gain much ground going after those so they are moons away from worrying about our air power. Using that fear to stop innovation is just ridiculous (in my opinion) anyway. 

Seems crazy to me for any hobby/interest to be against innovation. Seems pretty silly. Honestly I certainly don’t worry about regulation invading the hobby. The left is far too worried about those black evil rifles to care about our airguns. Heck they can’t successfully gain much ground going after those so they are moons away from worrying about our air power. Using that fear to stop innovation is just ridiculous (in my opinion) anyway.

+1. Agree 100%,just look at the last 2 weeks;10 people shot in super market,another 10 or so at their place of worship,and yesterday 18 children and 2 adults at an elementary school and of course politicians will do nothing.

I think our hobby is safe.

My condolences to those families and communities suffering through these tragedies.

Even if you did,nothing will happen.That’s my point.Our airguns are safe from widespread government overreach.

Really? All that has to happen is for someone to shoot someone of notoriety, the the gov't rats will jump all over us. First they will declare airguns as firearms subject to the same regulations. Then..... who knows what? I've already seen a club in Florida that has singled out airgunners as a potential safety risk based on media propaganda about guns.

I regret that some manufacturers are developing more "tactical" designs with folding stocks and "black scary gun" aesthetics. Big bore plus semi or full auto is probably not the smartest combination either.

I also don't think AEA needs to be selling 1000+ FPE air guns. Umarex and Hatsan have some heavy hitters too.

To me that's a completely different sport or hobby than the target shooting and pesting I use air guns for. Although I am looking forward to using my new Guantlet 30 in a shooting competition against a 22LR.

It does seem like a golden age for air guns but I think some of these imports aren't necessary and too easily substitute for you know what.

That said, my interpretation of 2A is strict as written. It's the other folks that concern me.

+1. Agree 100%,just look at the last 2 weeks;10 people shot in super market,another 10 or so at their place of worship,and yesterday 18 children and 2 adults at an elementary school and of course politicians will do nothing.

I think our hobby is safe.

My condolences to those families and communities suffering through these tragedies.

What do you think politicians should do?