Where have all the classic springers and CO2 rifles gone?

Personally, lost interest. I like owning them (2 FWB124D) but rarely shoot them anymore. They were all I shot for over 30 years, but can't compete. Once I finally settled in, to the very quiet shock free shot cycle of a pcp I have shot springers less and less, and the whole process, that I use to find relaxing (compared to firearms) just started grating on me (like firearms use to). Yeah, there is a lot more prep work to pcp, but the actual shooting time is sublime.

Counterpoint to PumaCarl I have gained interest. I absolutely love the simplicity, form, function, and challenge of taming the temperament of springers into single hole accuracy. They of course have their limitations in range and power. Anything pushing beyond 18-20fpe would seem to be better served with a pcp. I sure enjoy the lower powered springers for what they are though.

I think people that buy them rarely go onto forums. And rarely sell them.

I used to have a springer, and found it easier to take it to pieces and sell the parts, rather than sell the rifle whole. That said, for firearms I only sell in Canada as the cross-border headaches for things the Canadian government considers a "firearm" aren't worth the hassle.

I think most members here are more into pcp rifles. I shoot my 2260, 2400KT, and HW30 far more than my pcps. Could also be because I don't have an air source and need to hand pump. 😮‍💨
Didn't take long for hand pumping to steal the joy from PCPs for me, too. Thank goodness for the Yong Heng, without a fortune invested, found "air freedom" and a new appreciation what the PCP has to offer. WM

I like the simplicity of springers. The sound of a springer cocking right next to my ear is satisfying. Closing the breech and hearing the sound of it securing. Pulling the trigger perfectly backward and being surprised at the let off.

I can mash the trigger on my PCP's with no penalty and they are nearly silent and boringly accurate.

They are very different but any trigger or string time is a good time.

I think there is a price point when it comes to selling say an air gun rifle online. If the air rifle is a lower value gun. What you can get when you sell it is not really worth the hassle of the money exchange, packaging it adequately and shipping it. I’ve got two CO2 rifles worth $100.00 or less. If someone wants to meet face to face. I’d sell them quick. I’m not going to list them and sell them online where I’d have to ship them.
Same opinion of springers.

I think people that buy them rarely go onto forums. And rarely sell them.

I used to have a springer, and found it easier to take it to pieces and sell the parts, rather than sell the rifle whole. That said, for firearms I only sell in Canada as the cross-border headaches for things the Canadian government considers a "firearm" aren't worth the hassle.
I am on here a lot and shoot springers way more than pcp . short time ago i bought a Mac 1 and only have shot it 4 times in the last month and i shoot every day , also 78 year old . PCP's are boring to me .

I posted about the lack of traditional air rifles for sale in these classifieds just the other day on another forum, IMHO it's not just with air guns, take a walk through the classified adds on Facebook Market place for vehicles, you'll find a distinct shortage of the most reliable vehicles and a over abundance of problem cars and SUVs, late model BMW's, Mercedes Benz, Audi's, Chryslers and Jeeps, Nissans, and Isuzu's and the like for cheap money.
I look at these air gun classifieds in the same way, the more Traditional Springers, gas piston, pumpers, and Co2 guns are not there because owners tend not to get rid of them because they shoot well and they are fun, there's allot of PCP guns and gear for sale because people got caught up in the power, range, accuracy, and ease of shooting rabbit hole, then they experience the leaks, break downs, lost filler connections, the aggravation of being worn out from hand pumping or the breakdowns of expensive compressors, or hauling air tanks around with them and they say screw it, I'm not having fun anymore, I'm going back to my break barrels as soon as I can get rid of this PCP albatross around my neck.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

I tend to go new on springers as always afraid someone has dry fired tjhem. I did buy a FWB 300 from Jim E on Airgun Classifieds but he is well known and also resealed it. I felt confident buying from him. However 2 of my pumpers leaked although the ad said they held air. However I sort of expected that. I have noticed the shortage of traditional air rifles on classifieds. May be due to the low ball offers. I tried to sell a tuned, relatively new B28 on the airgun classifieds for less than half what I paid for. Crickets except for one possible buyer but he was from California. I will not do buisiness with that state or New York. I sold some guns, archery bows, fishing gear and air guns and now wish I never had. The money I got was not worth what I gave up. Always a question of why somebody is selling it. Is it problematic?

Reactions: bf1956
Maybe you only see PCPs for sale because they suck and everyone wants to unload them?

Probably people just don't want to sell CO2 and springers because they didn't cost much in the first place and they would take a hit selling them, if they even sold at all. I would rather hang onto a break barrel I paid $200 for than try and sell it for $100 on the market. One of those things you buy with no expectation of resale. So hopefully you enjoy it!

Reactions: billketsugo
They are still around if you're patient... just dont wait around like I did. I've mostly lost interest in springers, but did see a beautiful little BSA Lightning on the classifieds. For whatever reason, I've always loved the looks of those little guns. Drooled over it for a couple days, decided to get it...and it was sold.

The market is hard for them right now. I offloaded several really nice springers at the last Hickory show and just about had to give them away. For folks spending $80-100 to ship, it's just not worth it.