• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Where do you live and do you like it there?

I moved to CT right after I graduated from college in Worcester. Taxachusetts, as they called it, had a high cost of living, and at that time, and CT had no income tax. Just a few years later came Gov. Lowell Weicker and he destroyed that. Yes, CT is a pretty state and has (had) a lot going for it. I rode motorcycles too and New England has the best riding anywhere. Ever go to Marcus Dairy in Danbury on Sunday mornings? My wife and I would take off on a weekend, ride through the Western part of the state, then head up Rt 8 to Vermont. I miss those days, but I'm old and the bike is gone. Hey don't forget the high quality Field Target events at my old club, Rockville Fish and Game. These guys are running some great matches and getting some national attention.

Yep, used to go to Marcus Dairy for breakfast on Sunday and hang out with the hundreds of fellow riders. Nowadays I like to ride out to the Bidwell Tavern (est. 1822) to feast on their awesome chicken wings!

Yep, Weicker was a dirty, lyin’ pos. I attended the protest in Hartford and would have clubbed the criminal with a baseball bat if I had the chance.

Rockville F&G is a couple miles from my house. My Dad was a member and shot trap there years ago. I’ve thought of signing up for a field target match there, but I’ve never shot FT… maybe I should - best way to learn is hands on…

There is always a combination of multiple aspects to determine where you live.

I have reached the conclusion that taking into consideration all those aspects, people "decide" to live where they live.

And they do because a complex equation of convenience.

Is not just a matter of surrounding beauty, is a matter of family values, available jobs, health services, amenities, bla, bla ,bla.... Everything counts.

Reactions: swNCsw
I've spent my whole life moving from one state to another and everywhere I've lived there was something to appreciate for one reason or another, But I now live in Oregon about 30 minutes from the ocean (Myrtle Point) and don't see myself anywhere else. It is my idea of paradise especially if you love the outdoors.
Been there. I have a friend that lives in Powers.

Some people have referred to my area in SW CO as a third-world country. Not so jokingly. I get it.

There are wonderful aspects of living here, as well as horrible ones. Not so sure that the US isn’t becoming increasingly bipolar, too. :(

BUTbutbutbut I have room and legal freedom to practice shooting right at home, no formal range required. The major constraint is avoiding unintended hits on flora and fauna (hasn’t been a problem).

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I live in southeast LA. That's Louisiana, not Los Angeles. Im about 40 miles north of New Orleans right next to the Honey Island swamp. Many cypress and Live oaks trees abound. They don't have county's, they have parishes and napoleonic law. Idk what napoleonic laws are though I just know they still have them. Hot and humid with very mild winters.

I live in northwestern CT and it is nice here with lots of things to do, but CT is a very expensive state and getting worse every year with the influx of NYers. Winters are not too bad, and I live at the top of a hill with good breezes during the summer, so humidity is not bad at all. We run our AC maybe 2 weeks per year. This year was a bit worse with all the rain. Some winters we get a good bit of snow and it seems to snow every week, but last year, I don’t think I started my snow blower once. And no snakes!

CT has a high property tax relative to other states, as well as a personal property tax on your vehicles that is the same rate as your house property tax. That took me by surprise when I moved here. Depending on which town you live in, that could be anywhere from 1.5-4% of the value. We buy used cars now so the property tax is much less than what it would cost on something new. House prices here are a lot higher than other parts of the country as well, so you probably won’t be able to find something similar to what you had without paying a lot more for it. Once my daughter finishes school, we might relocate, so this thread is a good source to start looking elsewhere.

As a certified national monument let me give a geezer's warning. Make your move before you are too old to adapt to a new area and establish yourself. Look carefully at local political trends. I bought into a rural area in '06 and then got tied up with work etc. That state (Oregon) has subsequently gone so far looney left as to be a step backwards from my current CA life. And now I'm too decrepit to make any move at all.

All my best to you all but, move now while you can.

I too born was and raised in N. Cal. Moved up into the Sierra's to get away from the lunatics and rat race 38 yrs ago. Location only goes so far, the cost of living there is ridiculous. High taxes, high insurance, high gas prices, high crime rates, at least in the cities. Your taxes are being used to fund the homeless, drug addicts, illegal aliens, whatever is "green" at the moment, and is NOT 2A friendly.
We bought land in a Red state and we're moving there in 2 yrs. If we make it that long!

orthern California Born & Bred ..... Home paid for, life is great.
2 hrs from the Ocean, 1 hr to the Sierra Nevada mountains, 4 hrs from the Redwoods & 4 hrs to Death valley.
More places to see & things to do only limited by ones time and adventurous spirit.
Air guns legal and LOTS of uncluttered lands. It's not what you read stated by the haters :rolleyes:

We live in Ohio, but not in any big cities, that is where problems begin ! Ohio is a decent political state if you stay out of big cities, actually staying oyt of big citues means everything in any state you live in !! Out in the country, the taxes are decent, crime is under control, great fishing in Lake Erie, pro gun state, pro hunting, mabey not perfect but far ahead of other states where we have friends and family. No income tax on social security !! Be aware, things can and will change, so, look carefully and do yiur homework.

Reactions: JDR