• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Where do you live and do you like it there?

No I’m in hill country, the prairie land is where the worst weathers at. Of course naders drop everywhere in the state, but I think the hills and all the water in my area helps. Don’t have a clue if that’s true but it sounds good to me, I’ve never had one touch down that was close enough to worry me. We Oklahomans are known for liking storm season, ain’t nothing like watching a spring thunderstorm coming in.

Beau

That looks like a fantastic property! Love those streams.

The closest water source I have to my property about a mile a away is a stream we call sh!t creek and it literally smells that way. :confused:
Fortunately its far enough away the smell doesn't reach us.

How's the bugs and humidity there, how about the amount of rain?

Reactions: moodyblues
I have a question for you guys.

From heading west to east across the USA, say in the middle-ish of the country as far as north and south goes, where does the humidity begin to become nasty in the summer?
This is a tough question since everyone's tolerance for humidity is different but here is my perspective for the middle of the country. Missouri tends to be pretty humid in the middle of the summer but if you go next door to Iowa, it will be more agreeable to most. Nebraska could be a good option too if you ave trying to be someplace close to the middle of the country. I hope this helps.

Reactions: steve123
I moved from Southern California where I grew up to Missouri about an hour west of St Louis. This is a gun friendly state. I can carry a concealed weapon with no permit - as long as you are allowed to own the firearm legally you can conceal carry.

I grew up in So Cal so very good weather all year. Moving to Missouri I have found the winters to be mild. My kids had one snow day all year and was due to ice. The snow normally melts by the next day because we do not get much. Spring and fall are awesome here.

Summers are hot and humid but not like the south. Gas is about $1.50 cheaper per gallon than California was - weird since they refine the gas in California?

When I moved I looked for a State where the weather was mild enough for a So Cal boy to move to, I agreed with the majority politics of the state (yours may vary from mine but I would look at moving to one that suits YOUR beliefs), was gun friendly and I wanted to be in the middle of the country if possible so I could ship our products all directions. All in all, I think Missouri has a good balance of weather and affordability. Tennessee would have been my other choice.

I spent some time comparing high record temps for all the states as well and seems like the coldest states are also the same ones thst get extreme hot as well. A good bit of states like VA amd NC topped out at like 104 ever. Here in the upper portion of the country we now get 90 days of over 90 and not unheard of to be 105+ at times. Really California and Hi is the only weather that impresses me. I sure wish my wife would go to one.

Reactions: rcs9250
I spent some time comparing high record temps for all the states as well and seems like the coldest states are also the same ones thst get extreme hot as well. A good bit of states like VA amd NC topped out at like 104 ever. Here in the upper portion of the country we now get 90 days of over 90 and not unheard of to be 105+ at times. Really California and Hi is the only weather that impresses me. I sure wish my wife would go to one.
I know what you mean. My wife and I like New England area (not Taxachusetts though). We researched the weather temps to compare to NE Ohio. About the same even getting up into northern Maine, referring primarily summer temps as we don’t mind winter. It wasn’t all that much different. Ended figuring to get lower summer temps it was looking like Montana or North Dakota. But temps were still warm in summer. So I think you’re right on CA and HI.

Reactions: Cody01
sure, being Dutch , I never cease to be amazed at the polarisation in US politics...being under constant threat of water, we, the Dutch, have learned to compromise on nearly anything the HARD way...we even have a special verb for it, it is called `POLDEREN`....referring to polder, land that is below sea-level...
It's something I've often pondered. Living like that, below sea level. A place where a dyke is a real dyke, not something else.
At the grand old age of 22 I worked in the Netherlands, did so off and on for many years, loved the people and the country.

Could never afford to live there though. As much as I was tempted.

Still wandering 😕

Reactions: robbos
Here in nw ohio, we definitely get all four seasons. Pretty decent hunting seasons, pretty good fishing. I'm not far from lake erie but i don't go there much. I'm more of a reservoir guy. You no longer have to have a permit to cc. Plenty of game.
That said, i would move back to Ky in a heartbeat if it werent for all the kids and grandkids.

Central California here. Rain/snow amounts not seen since about 1958. I'm in between the Merced and San Joaquin rivers (both over flood stage) but I'm high and dry here at the farm. Closest flooding is 4-5 miles from my place, and not in impacting my usual routes into town. The heavy rains, roughly twice the yearly average, have unfortunately caused standing water all over the place resulting in many new pot holes. I have lived here my entire 65 years, so I like where I live, but I am increasingly contemplating a move to "free America" if things get much worse politically.

Minnesota and it sucks. I found out that I now live in the most diverse city in the state, I guess that explains the latest two shoot outs by teenagers with over 150 rounds fired. I'm taking care of my aged mother so I'm stuck here for now if I don't catch a bullet while driving to the store.
Jake Frey didn't solve it with counselors? Shocker! ;)

Reactions: darylm
I live in rural east Tenneessee and I think it's awesome. Love the mountains and all the parks, lot to do. I also like no state income tax and wide open spaces. It's also safe, virtually no crime other than the drug users that every state has.

Jake Frey didn't solve it with counselors? Shocker! ;)
I'm one city north of MPLS but it's the same crap. What's worse is we have a smaller police force so the young urban troubadour's do as they please. Walmart and Target are closing down due to theft. My beer store was also shot up, that's a step over the line.

Reactions: Firewalker
I'm one city north of MPLS but it's the same crap. What's worse is we have a smaller police force so the young urban troubadour's do as they please. Walmart and Target are closing down due to theft. My beer store was also shot up, that's a step over the line.

We moved out of Anoka due to the epidemic and I dont mean 'rona. Come up and shoot some day, were just an hour north.

Reactions: Beer Nap
I live in Great Falls, MT. It's winter for 6 months and windy all the time. Like really windy. I am ready for a move. My wife says she likes Michagan mainly because of the kind of properties she is finding for $300-400k. I am willong to spend up to $500k but I don't want wind, I don't want 6 months of winter, and I don't want venomous snakes or gators. We have a lot of rattlesnakes in central Montana. I lost my dog to one in my backyard 2 years ago.
"The grass is always greener..but eventually it's just going to be grass". Pick up an Outside magazine..they have an edition each year that selects the "10 Best Places To Live In The US". Look at the previous years. You'll probably see a pattern. Very few "best places" remain a "best place". The trouble with looking for the "best" place now is that there's 1000s of other folks looking for the same thing. Find a location that is what you think will be what you want in 10 to 15 years. If you want a town with a pop. of 25K..look for one with 5K that has strong city planning and a culture you feel comfortable with. If you think 5 or 10 acres is "enough", get 20. Trust me, if you start with a small-ish town, it will grow into what you want.

My wife and I moved to SoCal from the Silicon Valley 30 years ago. We thought we'd found nirvana. Compared to the Bay Area, there was no traffic, homes you could actually afford, and homeless people were non-existent. Now SoCal is Silicon Beach. Condos that were $150K are now $900K. It seems like all the people from the Bay Area (including the homeless) followed us to SoCal. The weather is great, but that doesn't make up for the negatives. I keep seeing more and more National Forest property being closed to hunting/shooting and reserved for hikers and bikers. The only thing keeping us here is friends, family, and Prop 13. Even if we left for another state, the CA FTB would track us down and tax our retirement income..yup..they claim it was made in CA so even if you leave, you'd get taxed as though you still live in CA. ggrrrrrrr.

I assume the tax is voluntary? How do they collect it if you don't send it? These are not rhetorical questions, I genuinely want to understand that. If I were in that situation, I would tell Newsome to **** off -
Once you fill out a tax form then you accepted the tax. It's all lawyer speak and it was set up so we don't know what it really means.

"The grass is always greener..but eventually it's just going to be grass". Pick up an Outside magazine..they have an edition each year that selects the "10 Best Places To Live In The US". Look at the previous years. You'll probably see a pattern. Very few "best places" remain a "best place". The trouble with looking for the "best" place now is that there's 1000s of other folks looking for the same thing. Find a location that is what you think will be what you want in 10 to 15 years. If you want a town with a pop. of 25K..look for one with 5K that has strong city planning and a culture you feel comfortable with. If you think 5 or 10 acres is "enough", get 20. Trust me, if you start with a small-ish town, it will grow into what you want.

My wife and I moved to SoCal from the Silicon Valley 30 years ago. We thought we'd found nirvana. Compared to the Bay Area, there was no traffic, homes you could actually afford, and homeless people were non-existent. Now SoCal is Silicon Beach. Condos that were $150K are now $900K. It seems like all the people from the Bay Area (including the homeless) followed us to SoCal. The weather is great, but that doesn't make up for the negatives. I keep seeing more and more National Forest property being closed to hunting/shooting and reserved for hikers and bikers. The only thing keeping us here is friends, family, and Prop 13. Even if we left for another state, the CA FTB would track us down and tax our retirement income..yup..they claim it was made in CA so even if you leave, you'd get taxed as though you still live in CA. ggrrrrrrr.
That reminded me of a article that I just read about the most affordable places to buy a house. The article seemed to want people to feel foolish for not moving to those places. Memphis Tenn was number one on the list. It is also on it's way to be the murder/crime capitol of the country and non criminals are moving out left and right because they just want to stay alive. Maybe that's the reason why houses are so cheap there?

We moved out of Anoka due to the epidemic and I dont mean 'rona. Come up and shoot some day, were just an hour north.
That's actually the reason why I bought my new old truck. I need to go north for a hour or more drive to shoot. I'm looking at state forests near Mille Lacs lake. It's a bit of a drive so a overnight camping outing is what I'm getting setup for. Astronomy is another hobby of mine so it will all work out.

Reactions: Firewalker
me ,I see no politics,can shoot for miles all around...many places similar. Gun laws,right; bad politics right,I fish, shoot, and go to car shows and many other .places.Enjoy life,be glad you can,do not let BS stop you from doing that and if you do it is your BS that does...Peace.love and happiness.Country is where you find it,Seek and you shall find, This is a excellent topic,learned much.I admit I am spoiled .
306.JPG
:p
301.JPG

Reactions: Kgphotos
That's actually the reason why I bought my new old truck. I need to go north for a hour or more drive to shoot. I'm looking at state forests near Mille Lacs lake. It's a bit of a drive so a overnight camping outing is what I'm getting setup for. Astronomy is another hobby of mine so it will all work out.

Rum River State Forest, 30 or so first-come camping sites, free, stay for 2 weeks. Great small game hunting all over.