• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Where do you live and do you like it there?

North Carolina, (Sanford, Raleigh area) it's nice here. We have the beach and mountains, I spend most of my time at the beach. We have all four seasons but none are extreme, maybe a little humid in the summer. No gun laws except permit is needed if you conceal your handgun. No one here knows anything about air guns though, if you mention it they think you're shooting a pumpmaster from walmart, if they are really up to date they know the name gamo.

North Carolina, (Sanford, Raleigh area) it's nice here. We have the beach and mountains, I spend most of my time at the beach. We have all four seasons but none are extreme, maybe a little humid in the summer. No gun laws except permit is needed if you conceal your handgun. No one here knows anything about air guns though, if you mention it they think you're shooting a pumpmaster from walmart, if they are really up to date they know the name gamo.
Looks like that is a ways to the beach. How far is it? Do jobs pay ok?

I'm in S.W. Missouri. Beautiful part of the country with some sort of hunting season pretty much year round. I'm not real fond of winter, but it's relatively mild compared to a lot of the country. I'm Tennessee born, but have lived in MO since I was 6 years old. I may move when I retire, but I doubt it..
Around what city thinking about Mo.

I have enjoyed this thread. Not only is it interesting to hear about pros and cons of different areas, I have found it interesting to see what criteria people place importance on. Often people prefer areas where others share their political beliefs. Personally, I think it is good to be around people who have ideas different than your own. At the end of the day, you can still disagree with the person but you are more apt to understand why they think the way they do. If you spend the day shooting each other's guns, you may still think the person is horribly misguided when it comes to politics but find something in common because you like their taste in guns.

Having said that, you may be wondering where I stand on politics. For my entire life I have been an independent. I find candidates on both sides of the aisle that I agree with. Likewise, I find people on both sides of the aisle who I believe should reconsider their chosen career path. The down side of being an independent is all of my red friends think I am a fool and all my blue friends think I am a fool. The plus side, of being an independent is it is the one time my red and blue friends all agree with each other. They all agree I am a fool. :)

I am new to this board so if I violated any rules in this post, the moderators are free to delete it but hopefully I walked the line carefully enough to avoid that. To get us back on topic, here is another picture of this beautiful state in which I live (Tahquamenon Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula).

DNR-backgrounds-Tahquamenon-Falls.jpg

Came from the Blackhills of S. D. to a great state called Oregon 32 yrs ago. Now trying to figure out how to get out of here (live just west of Portland) only come here if you like cold wet weather October thru March or can figure out how to shoot indoors. After a while the 7yrds in the garage just doesn't cut it. Not even going to get started on taxes and the population boom we are having, trying to keep my blood pressure down these days.
Late spring, summer and fall are great and with all the orchards around the squirrel hunting can be real good. Of course they don't like guns in this state so it's getting harder to get out and enjoying one's self without looking over ur shoulder. Love to get back to SD but momma says she is not leaving the grandkids sooooo gonna try and stick
it out. At least the better weather is soon on the horizon!!

Reactions: bf1956 and Cody01
I am very much with bryanm, two posts above this - in fact I was not going to post in this thread until I read his post . . .

I too am in Michigan (the southeast part) and love the state. And I am an independent that leans republican. But I like to be around others with different perspectives than I have, as I learn a lot from that. My wife and I chose to live in a community that let us raise our kids in an upscale but diverse school district, and they are now young adults who are better people for it.

As for those of my strong-red friends that are concerned that Michigan has taken a turn to a more blue shade recently, I offer a simple bit of advice: don't put up "bats$$t crazy" candidates for office. That only makes rational people choose to vote for the only remaining rational candidate. If future candidates provide a path to good governance vs. grievance governance, the pendulum will swing back. If this paragraph is too political, the mods can feel free to punt it . . .

Michigan is a gun/hunting/sporting friendly state, and is not about to change in that way despite the current situation in the capital - there may be some personal carry restrictions added, but I am one that thinks unlicensed concealed carry is nuts to start with (I don't think any wacko should have the right to concealed carry - I think that right should be earned through a qualification process). Michigan does have cold winters, but they have been getting warmer and warmer over the years. And there is plenty of water around for a future in which it could become scarce and very expensive in much of the country. We plan to stay here, but could go a bit farther north eventually.

Well due to winters and other factors its still looking like Idaho or Virginia, maybe NC. I won't even move if I can't have ar least 10 or acree of my own forested land. Have to have at least 1 less month of winter than central Montana and less wind. That eliminates the midwest really. I been watching wind patterns and some states are awful. New Mexico, Colorado, the Dakotas, Ne, Ks, and Wyoming seem to be full of wind a good bit of the time. Idaho seems to be inching out the win but I notice its about 30% more expensive so I hope jobs keep up with the increased cost of living. Anything inland Virginia is what scares me economy wise. Seems like the coast is the only thriving market there. Wi and UP are stunning for about 4 months and the rest of the year is indoors meaning I would need a 100x200 shop for my shooting and RC needs.

I have enjoyed this thread. Not only is it interesting to hear about pros and cons of different areas, I have found it interesting to see what criteria people place importance on. Often people prefer areas where others share their political beliefs. Personally, I think it is good to be around people who have ideas different than your own. At the end of the day, you can still disagree with the person but you are more apt to understand why they think the way they do. If you spend the day shooting each other's guns, you may still think the person is horribly misguided when it comes to politics but find something in common because you like their taste in guns.

Having said that, you may be wondering where I stand on politics. For my entire life I have been an independent. I find candidates on both sides of the aisle that I agree with. Likewise, I find people on both sides of the aisle who I believe should reconsider their chosen career path. The down side of being an independent is all of my red friends think I am a fool and all my blue friends think I am a fool. The plus side, of being an independent is it is the one time my red and blue friends all agree with each other. They all agree I am a fool. :)

I am new to this board so if I violated any rules in this post, the moderators are free to delete it but hopefully I walked the line carefully enough to avoid that. To get us back on topic, here is another picture of this beautiful state in which I live (Tahquamenon Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula).

View attachment 346750

I too was a registered Independent for years and you forgot 1 major drawback....... you can't vote in the primaries.

I'm in Wiltshire, UK- it's ok, more rural than Berkshire where I grew up but, the whole country is experiencing some rapid changes - not for the better.

Big cities here have really gone to poop in the last 50yrs. There's an insidious creep that's slowly reaching into everywhere.

I'd love to move out your way - you have more freedoms and a hell of a lot more free land than we do.

Reactions: crosman2016