Where Do You Find Bipods and Tripods on Sale?

Ezana,

I use tripods made for photography, and look for sales @ B&H, Adorama, Midwest Photo, and Amazon.

LeoPhoto is a great option for brand. they have even have an amazing padded rifle clamp that I now have two of!

@CyberDyneSystems Thanks for the response. I’ve checked B&H, Adorama, and a host of other sites. Beyond weight capacities, I’m not sure what’s good for rifle shooting of the tripod or tripod system isn’t marketed towards rifle shooting. After viewing a number of tripods on these photography gear websites it seems that a video tripod is preferable to one designed for photography. Furthermore, I’m unsure of which heads to look at, which attachments are necessary to affix rifles to the heads, or if video tripods would work with something like a BOG Death Grip head. LeoPhoto has a nice selection of tripods they appear to be high quality. What the name of the clamp? Can you share a link or a photo of your setup if you have one handy? I found this link again through your profile. I’ve visited this thread before, but now that I’m actively looking the information is more relevant. Great thread on tripods. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/tripods-im-hooked/page/2/#post-1001207

This is another informative tripod thread found within the above thread https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/mini-tripod/

Idaho Guns and Outdoors has really decent pricing on AccuTac products, among others too....

Gun Accessories | Idaho Guns & Outdoors (idahogunstore.com)

mike

Thanks. Mike I will check them out. 

@CharlieF Thanks for the reply. I’m kinda concerned about being sold an overpriced knockoff on Amazon and eBay. 

Good timing on your question. Right now I am examining/ playing with these three tripods. They are all from Amazon. Amazon has a great free return policy so I was able to buy all three and then I’ll keep the one the I think works best for me. I’m being very careful to keep them clean and scratch free. I’ve actually placed tissue paper between all metal surfaces. So far I like the biggest one because it is most steady. It is also heaviest. They’re will definitely be a compromise between how much weight I want to carry and how steady I want to have the rifle. Anyway, these were the best price and highest customer rated tripods for the price tripods I could find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087PHXNTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094MM1F11/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M36DW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went through the tripod learning experience earlier this year when I converted from using bipods and bags.

Here is the advice I can give:

The whole goal with a tripod is a stable base for shooting your gun. You want the thickest carbon fiber legs you can afford with the fewest humber of segments. The thinner the leg the more likely it is to flex - and not just flex from weight on top of it, but from angular stresses the cantilevered gun places on the base support legs. As far as leg segments, each connection is a potential flexing point so you want to keep that minimized. 

I went all in and got a 40mm Leofoto. I may not need all that support and maybe a 36mm or 32mm could do it, but if you have to extend a leg segment realize that the next segment is going to be smaller that the first one and can induce flex. On top of that I got an RRS head that fits the 100mm bowl - and I went with the 55mm ball because I had tried a smaller on and the more friction to hold that ball in place the less the whole rifle wants to continue to move after you've tightened down the ball. Otherwise you have to aim over a foot or more down when you start to tighten the ball and it will still flex past your POA when you let it go.

I'm not saying spend $1K on a setup, so please don't read that into the items I've purchased. What I am getting at is you'll get a sturdier platform if you get the beefier parts. Of course weight could become a factor, but that is very individual.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Anyone have any experience using one of these on an air rifle? Particularly one with a bottle in the front?

Kopfjager K700 AMT Tripod with Reaper Grip

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022438354?pid=818831

338DB30E-068B-4797-89DF-FEA574F6FE78.1631636434.jpeg

Ebay is good for used expensive ones like Manfrotto etc. BH Photo and Adorama for largest selection of name brand stuff and low prices. They also both sell some used to like ones dinged or scratched in shipping etc. Bounce them off Amazon for the oddball Chinese brand ones.

Amazon for Chinese cheaper new ones. Lots of reviews to wade through the crap.

You really should have mentioned what you are using it for. You don't need much for a range spotting scope or binoculars. If for hunting most people use a bipod or shooting sticks as the tripods are too cumbersome. For a camera that is an entirely new discussion.

Ebay is good for used expensive ones like Manfrotto etc. BH Photo and Adorama for largest selection of name brand stuff and low prices. They also both sell some used to like ones dinged or scratched in shipping etc. Bounce them off Amazon for the oddball Chinese brand ones.

Amazon for Chinese cheaper new ones. Lots of reviews to wade through the crap.

You really should have mentioned what you are using it for. You don't need much for a range spotting scope or binoculars. If for hunting most people use a bipod or shooting sticks as the tripods are too cumbersome. For a camera that is an entirely new discussion.

Good point. I would like to try using a tripod as a shooting platform. I’ve done more “bench rest” styled shooting than I need to. I’d like to transition from target shooting while seated at a table to shooting standing in front of a tripod. As I see it, a tripod has a more practical application for some of my intended hunting purposes and pest removal of multiple animals. I’ve seen a team of shooters pick off multiple pigs within the same sounder using tripods. I’d like to give it a try and see if I can improve from that shooting platform. With that said, I’m looking form something decent to start with that won’t break on me with light to moderate use. I’m primarily looking for discounts and sales.

As for bipods, I know what I want. However, I rarely see a significant sale beyond 10% off so I’m wondering where you all find decent bargains from reputable retailers and sellers. 

I ended up getting an Innorel RT85C carbon fiber tripod from Amazon. With a BOG Great Divide head. I’m not in love with this head. I may return it, I’m undecided. The (up/down) tilt locking knob is not strong and doesn’t hold well. If left unattended an unbalanced rifle can fall (drop down even with the tilt knob “locked”) and possibly topple the tripod with your gun mounted to it. I have my eye on an Articise ball head, but I’m open to suggestions. So far I like this tripod. I seems pretty stable. I want to take it through the motions on some extremely uneven terrain. I’m confident it will hold up. It’ll take some getting used to for me. 
CD76555F-D507-44B2-B559-442B3902EA88.1632613943.jpeg

6EE6AD57-B856-4D2D-B4DA-7866A3A51DB7.1632614424.jpeg

Thank you to @cyberdynesystems for your input and your much appreciated tripod insight and advice in other threads. Thanks to @kgphotos for the Amazon suggestions. I also found threads and posts by @ctshooter and @dairyboy helpful. 

Before you buy, you really need to take a close look at the Field Optics Research Pro32-MIL ASFPL or the Field Optics Pro39-MIL ASFPL for a rock solid, smooth action tripod. They have a positive locking Swiss Arca/Picatinny combination head. Look on Youtube for the Field Optics Research Pro Series Tripods video and the Field Optics Research Head Comparisons. Available at Utah Airguns and other retailers.