Where are the rats?

Max115

Jul 15, 2018
BC, Canada
I went back to the "rats" farm last weekend and quite disappointed to only tagged 4 rats as compared to 10 from previous weekend.

Either they are depleting in numbers or I wasn't there at the right time. But I still had a great time shooting them with my HW100T and Pard008LFR. I continued to use the Hades 16gr as they worked very effectively pinning down the rats on the spot.

A short video but hopefully you will still enjoy it.

Thanks for watching. Cheers.

Reactions: Reeg
@iAMzehTOASTY1. good idea, but we have had so much rain lately that the ground is very saturated. I was afraid to walk on the ground to pick them rats up as the ground was pretty wet and hollow out with all the rats tunnels underneath. I am sure I will tag a few more next time out.
Thanks for watching.
Aw yea I hear ya! It's a booby trap for sure to walk on; we would use shovels and stuff to cave them tunnels in when it's that wet. Also those cheap smoking firecrackers; put in hole and put a can or bucket over to force the smoke down in....seen one guy use his exhaust pipe and some metal flex hose to fumigation them🤷‍♂️

I went back to the "rats" farm last weekend and quite disappointed to only tagged 4 rats as compared to 10 from previous weekend.

Either they are depleting in numbers or I wasn't there at the right time. But I still had a great time shooting them with my HW100T and Pard008LFR. I continued to use the Hades 16gr as they worked very effectively pinning down the rats on the spot.

A short video but hopefully you will still enjoy it.

Thanks for watching. Cheers.

Hello Max, I'm in the same situation as you w/ ratting now. My take of 2022( starting late June ) was 208 at my permission, which is a satellite barn of heifers & steers from the main dairy.The score was combined from outside & inside the structure. Since the new year I've collected 57, all w/in the barn . My longest range is 21yrd.s . I've been sticking to my Kral NP-03 .22 caliber w/ an ATN LTV scope since Jan. I also have had great luck w/ Hades pellets running ~680-700fps. That the little guns top speed ( 2ft from muzzle ) and it's just fine for this work. I have had success w/ MeisterK's & Gamo wadcutters also. I just got an order in w/ a tin of Rifle brand Destroyers 16.66 gr to try. These hit spot on w/ the Hades at my ranges & are devastating ! My trips in the last few days have been low counts also ,may be 6 or less each time out. I've tried various times early & late . The largest haul was 12 , most of which were taken in 10 min.s . I hope I've done what the farmer has asked. There sure aren't as many as before ! The farm hands tell me they don't see them like before. We'll see come warm weather. Well signing off from Central PA .

Reactions: AmosBurton
@iAMzehTOASTY1. Those are extreme and deadly methods to use on them rats, lol. What ever works, right?

@Contndr35BB. I guess your persistent hard work paid off as well. Their number is done but not out and before you know it, the farmer will be calling you back to shoot them again. Keep up the good work. Thanks for watching.
Rats started out bigger than most house cats, we got em down to tiny baby mice in about 3 months

What is your goal? To kill or to achieve the absence of rats? From the first post I think you are more interested in the first option.
In the long run the 2nd goal is impossible. Rat's are like cockroaches and ants they will be on the earth long after humans are extinct. I've killed over 50 of them (mostly with traps) and they still keep coming! Traps with bird seeds don't work outside too well, kill more squirrels and birds than rats.

I think I'm going repurpose some 20 year old bait stations I haven't filled for years (they didn't work) with the bird seed I used for traps. Monitor them with webcams and when they draw the attention of rats I kill them with 0.177 pellets.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Max , My Wife was working late so I went over to the barn last eve around 10pm. I peeked through the shooting window w/ the Kral & saw two rats ,, inches from a bedded cows head ! I focused the ATN & in a few minutes they moved to where i got a clean shot. Nailed the first one , waited a few min.s & dropped the second. Eventually I got four in the same area in about 15 minutes .

@bfiebs002. Thanks for watching.

@Contndr35BB. Great job with tagging those rodents. They will multiply fast and furious, so get ready to drop a few more. cheers.
Max , I went out last eve from 7 till 11:30 . Got 3 more, then the cows got to moving around for their midnight snack. I ordered another bag rest from Midway to use on the Toyota window in warm weather . The bag came today . I also replaced the IR torch that came w/ the ATN LTV w/ another of the same that I purchased as backup a while back . My rechargeable batteries let me down now ( cold maybe ? ). So I went out this afternoon to try it out on the starlings flocking at the main farm. It was a bit windy & the only safe shot I had I over compensated , whacked a dry branch beside the bird. The smack sent the flock off . In a few minutes a group off hosp's landed in a bramble bush at the same range ( lasered 49 yrd ) so another chance ! Hold off just slightly to the left ,,, Poof ! Wind slowed a bit for the next three shots , held right on them and let the Hades do the rest . Three more poofs & smacks. Again the FlashPup showed it's stuff. I went over to the rat barn & cleared some stuff out of the way for a little better access into the shooting window while daylight held out & the wind kept the dust moving out for me. I'm sure this will mess w/rat movement on that side of the wall , so I'll give them a night to acclimate . Tomorrow night, It's game on !

@Contndr35BB Good job shooting. Yes the cold weather will drain any batteries. I went out tonight for some rat shoots and I only saw 5 in total and tagged 3 with my HW100 + Hades. The number is low but the coyotes were very active tonight around 6:30pm when I just got to the farm. They were howling very close by; unfortunately (or luckily) I didn't see them in view. I left the rats as bait and trail cam to hopefully capture the footage if they come around after to eat. I am planning for coyote #6...