• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Where are the FWB 124Ds as in classics?

I've been head over heals into pcps for years and it took me over 30 some odd years to pick one up at an airgun show here in North Carolina a few years ago. In my honest but humble opinion, the FWB124 was the finest and closest thing to a pcp and was the first magnum airgun in its day. My belated friend was a strong believer in its ability to take a squirrel any day of the week and he did just that numerous times making a believer of me as well. As I have began to ripen as in the aging process, if I were to ever run out of air and for small game, I can honestly say that my FWB124D is truly up for the task.

Yep , I agree. It will always get it done. I dont shoot mine much but it shoots great when I do.

IMG_20201004_4635.1601824429.jpg

I got mine by accident, I wasn’t really looking to specifically get a 124 but I’m glad I did. I do t have much to compare it to, I’ve had an hw97, a flying dragon 34 clone, and 2 34’s. The 124 is the only one I’ve kept.

7DBBE164-D5EC-4723-9BD2-400EAEB40CCF.1601829422.jpeg

Yep , I agree. It will always get it done. I dont shoot mine much but it shoots great when I do.

IMG_20201004_4635.1601824429.jpg

You're right on point Randy_68 but I don't shoot mine as well and I love the way that yours is dressed up. 

kingston73, it's great that you had that one accident that you don't and will not regret because keeping that riffle was a very smart choice. I still have my HW97 in .177 and my TX200 in .177 as well but as a hunter, the FWB 124 is an excellent hunter when it comes to small game. BTW fellas', it's light weight, well balanced and it's not heavy having to drag it through the woods all day.

I forgot to mention that I do love the aperture sight on yours as well, was your 124 set up like that when you bought it?

The weight is definitely one reason I like it better than my 97, the HW is a heavy SOB! Mine came with the peep, it’s a Beeman so I’m wondering if the original owner ordered it that way. I did replace the front with a truGlow post, slides right on the groove and it’s a little more precise than the original post front. Also tried a few other inserts , a crosshairs and a circle but prefer the truGlow.

FWB 124D.1601925357.jpg
I have had this FWB 124D since 1979. Bought it from Robert Law at Air Gun Headquarters. Perhaps Beeman's would have been a better choice, but I saw the ARH ad in a gun magazine and sent for a catalog. Robert Law, like Dr. Robert Beemen, had information on why the spring-powered air guns were worth the price. With a Bushnell 3X9 scope and mounts, the FWB 124D was just under $300. That was about what a Winchester or Remington rifle would cost at the time. My friends thought I was crazy to pay that much for what they considered a BB gun. Little did they know. I had it re-built in 2006, with new seals, spring, and a Hawke 3X9 Vantage side focus scope. Even with my Weihrauch 30S, 35E, and 97K, the FWB holds it's own in the accuracy department. My guess why is the match grade barrel. The trigger is not as good as the Weihrauch Record triggers, but still OK.

FWB 124D.1601925357.jpg
I have had this FWB 124D since 1979. Bought it from Robert Law at Air Gun Headquarters. Perhaps Beeman's would have been a better choice, but I saw the ARH ad in a gun magazine and sent for a catalog. Robert Law, like Dr. Robert Beemen, had information on why the spring-powered air guns were worth the price. With a Bushnell 3X9 scope and mounts, the FWB 124D was just under $300. That was about what a Winchester or Remington rifle would cost at the time. My friends thought I was crazy to pay that much for what they considered a BB gun. Little did they know. I had it re-built in 2006, with new seals, spring, and a Hawke 3X9 Vantage side focus scope. Even with my Weihrauch 30S, 35E, and 97K, the FWB holds it's own in the accuracy department. My guess why is the match grade barrel. The trigger is not as good as the Weihrauch Record triggers, but still OK.

readyfisher9, thanks for sharing and you did very well in buying your 124 when you did, I'm your friends envied you once they saw and shot it as a true work of art. Yes, back then $300 was a lot "just for a BB gun" but if I wanted something that to shoot miles away from my home, I would have bought a powder burner to do just that. BTW, that's one fine specimen of a springer that you have and I'm sure it's not for sell.

shambozzie, you're not late to this party because you're still in the game and you also do know what quality is when it comes to one very fine springer. The FWB124 is still one of the greatest springers ever made and especially during the time in which it was made. After putting my 124 away for a little while, it was still dead on point at 20 yards and it wasn't built for power but rather accuracy.

Whenever you can mentioned an air rifle and almost everyone has heard of it yes it's a classic for sure. The 127's are in there also but to a lesser degree it seems. They both make nice power but are not high power by today's standards. They are an absolute breeze to cock, light weight and have superb accuracy. A tune with a modern spring can bring some added power or the power can be brought down a bit with other kits. From deluxe to sporter and even custom stocks they fully fit the classic category nicely.

208 Beeman Feinwerkbau 124D .177.1602026172.JPG

214 FWB 127D.1602026219.JPG

205 Beeman FWB124 Jnc.1602026254.jpg

Whenever you can mentioned an air rifle and almost everyone has heard of it yes it's a classic for sure. The 127's are in there also but to a lesser degree it seems. They both make nice power but are not high power by today's standards. They are an absolute breeze to cock, light weight and have superb accuracy. A tune with a modern spring can bring some added power or the power can be brought down a bit with other kits. From deluxe to sporter and even custom stocks they fully fit the classic category nicely.

208 Beeman Feinwerkbau 124D .177.1602026172.JPG

214 FWB 127D.1602026219.JPG

205 Beeman FWB124 Jnc.1602026254.jpg

DualMagMike, what can I say because you've said it all and I have to say that anything that has "FWB" on it has to be a winner, history proves it.

Thanks for sharing. 

Question for all who have a chrono, when i sent mine to John for a tune i just wanted a smooth shooter, wasn’t asking for magnum power. Mine’s shooting 8.44 gr at an average of 787. Is that original or lower than original? I’m happy with it, zero desire to change anything as right now it’s perfect, more just curious about what the original goal was for FWB?

Also wondering what modern rifle that would compare with? In other words, if (when) i get something new and don’t wanted something similar what should i avoid?

Kingston 

Shooging 8.44 @ 787 fps is shooting 11.6 fpe which is a great tune. A hot tune i would consider between 820 -860 fps / 12-13 fpe. Original oem would have shot between 10 - 11 fpe, and that could even depend on the serial number. The earliest ones often shot slower even with an after market spring / seal, often contributed to being a two piece welded construction compression tube that some were found to have a tapered tube. Paull Watts did an article on this some years ago. Sorry, more info than you asked for.

Cheers