Where are the chipmunks?

Numbers are noticeably diminished here in my little area in the southeast. Saying that based on about a decade of removing them from multiple properties. After the first 2 or years of hitting them hard, things seemed to reach an equilibrium...a relatively consistent population from year to year. However I'm seeing only about half as many this year.

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
I thought it was just me, Ive only seen 2 chip monks this year... plenty of squirrels Grays, blacks a few fox sqirrels and only one or two reds
But the chip monk population is way down
by maybe 80=90 %?
S.E. Michigan
MI , MAN TOO…haven’t seen one yet , very low on squirrel numbers also.. The way I like it. My apple blossoms never looked better and TULIPS SURVIVED ..

Reactions: Richieg
Where are all the chipmunks at this year? Haven’t seen a single one yet, they must be late bloomers this year or I took them all out last year 😀, anybody else notice this in their area? I’m from Pa and they are usually out and about already, lots of squirrels around already
They moved to Alabama 😂

Last edited:
I realize these things tend to be cyclical and this is all anecdotal. But does it seem a bit odd and wide spread?
This along with the obvious decrease in the overall bird population is cutting down on the need for pesting here.
I have seen very few English sparrows and only a couple grackles. maybe two cow birds. These are species that maybe two or three years ago were still in large flocks pretty much every where you looked.
On the plus side my fruit trees had more blossoms than in recent memory, my wife's tulips looked great this season and I have two pairs of wrens nesting nearby.

They all came to Richmond, VA. Seen them on 3 different properties over wide area here so I know they are out there...
Plenty in my West End Richmond neighborhood. I bagged 3 Tuesday from the same burrow (one below caught running from hole)
IMG_2651.jpeg

Targeting and eliminating chipmunks leads to the title of this thread! ;) I started my quest 6-7 years ago against the burrowing little buggers.... they seemed everywhere around my home, no matter which direction you looked, one would be scampering.
I bought a low-end .22 break barrel with mediocre accuracy and began eliminating.... after many hits, but no body for kill confimation, I upgraded to a higher quality break barrel and finished my first season with a body count of 42 with many more known to be in burrows providing worm food.
The next year brought less shooting... but still ended with 20+, and many of those I noticed coming in from neighboring yards possibly searching for long lost friends or relatives. Each year since has proven that the targeting has paid off and kills have dwindled to the single digits the past two seasons. I've yet to see one so far this year.... though still a bit early with not a lot of food around as yet either.
Likely many old burrows hold skeletal remains and new chippers finding those make the decision to live elsewhere. (y)

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
Targeting and eliminating chipmunks leads to the title of this thread! ;) I started my quest 6-7 years ago against the burrowing little buggers.... they seemed everywhere around my home, no matter which direction you looked, one would be scampering.
I bought a low-end .22 break barrel with mediocre accuracy and began eliminating.... after many hits, but no body for kill confimation, I upgraded to a higher quality break barrel and finished my first season with a body count of 42 with many more known to be in burrows providing worm food.
The next year brought less shooting... but still ended with 20+, and many of those I noticed coming in from neighboring yards possibly searching for long lost friends or relatives. Each year since has proven that the targeting has paid off and kills have dwindled to the single digits the past two seasons. I've yet to see one so far this year.... though still a bit early with not a lot of food around as yet either.
Likely many old burrows hold skeletal remains and new chippers finding those make the decision to live elsewhere. (y)
I probably killed them all off lol, last two seasons seems like they were everywhere getting like 2-6 chipmunks everytime I watched my feeders and I would shoot a couple times a week, they were abundant last year too but this year have t seen a single one yet, lots of red squirrel though, got a few of them already though before the little bastards start making nest in my pavilion and getting into everything