When silence is a priority

But aside the beautiful rideability of electric bikes, aside the pretty much complete lack of necessary maintenance the one thing that stand out the most long term is that there's an extreme low number of parts that can break compared to a Gas bike, .....Starter, alternator, battery, clutch, fuel pump, water pump, gear box, all the parts that make pistons work, radiator, then you have oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and probably forgetting a bunch

Electric is the future and battery tech is starting to be good enough and soon could be nuts. I love and owned many cars and will not buy a Dino burner again, simply out classed in every way besides going to gas station. And with extremely low number of parts you don't have to do anything, can't go back at all!

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
But aside the beautiful rideability of electric bikes, aside the pretty much complete lack of necessary maintenance the one thing that stand out the most long term is that there's an extreme low number of parts that can break compared to a Gas bike, .....Starter, alternator, battery, clutch, fuel pump, water pump, gear box, all the parts that make pistons work, radiator, then you have oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and probably forgetting a bunch
Also, no more false neutrals, at least with the e-motos that only have one gear. No power loss at elevation is a huge one for those of us that live in the Rockies. IIRC you Hawaiians have a 13Kft mountain on one of the islands, which is crazy!

I'm pretty rough on my bikes (have a couple of euro dual sports) that I use mostly off road. At 100 hours I'm usually due for new wheel bearings, new chain & sprockets. Suspension fluids have to be changed, brakes need to be bleed. Non of that will change with electric. Not to mention new rear tire every week and a new front every other week! I usually manage to need a new rim or two every riding season. Riding hard off road is just super tough on bikes, especially here in the Rockies. So worth it though! To me, off road riding on a fast bike, is the most fun thing imaginable. Nothing else even comes close. Everything else is just passing time until I can ride again.

Tesla is the only EV I know that lets you turn every single nanny off, you can even put it into "drift mode" or zero traction control and it's the easiest burn out ever. There are quite a few things to turn off though, track mode doesn't automatically turn all the nannies off if I remember right.

Drift mode would be fun, but you loose 1/2 of your power since you're not using the front motor. I just wish track mode would let you turn off everything, but that might not be practical. Give it to much throttle and next thing you know your rear inside wheel is doing 155mph and your ground speed is 20mph lol. Goodbye tire.....

Reactions: qball
Drift mode would be fun, but you loose 1/2 of your power since you're not using the front motor. I just wish track mode would let you turn off everything, but that might not be practical. Give it to much throttle and next thing you know your rear inside wheel is doing 155mph and your ground speed is 20mph lol. Goodbye tire.....
If you like hard trail riding the Stark Varg is a crazy powerful bike

Reactions: Phil.Probe
It was top of my list for a long time, but I think it's probably too much power and weight for a dedicated technical single track slayer.
Yeah the Ultra is plenty and at 180 Pounds very manageable, good thing about the ultra is that a lot of aftermarket batteries, controllers and engines are already available.

Me, I'm waiting for Energica to come out with a 400-450 pounds Tenere style rally bike,

Energica has made huge leaps on the batteries, in only a few years they have pretty much double the capacity while shedding about 20 pounds.

Their Tourer, the 560 pound 17" wheels Experia can give a solid 150-170 miles range by riding quite spirited, much more if trying to save and with the fast DC charger that can re-charge the bike in half hour

Fun fact: A sweet sounding v8 is a chick magnet. An EV engine, on the other hand, is just a magnet. :D

Kind of........when I was younger and had loud exhaust I only got young guys asking about it, NO CHICKS! When I had my badass land cruiser all I got was middle aged white men asking about it. Think we mostly fantasize our loud V8 to be a chick magnet but it's more like sausage party starter in my experience. Decked out Jeeps on the other hand are chick magnets, only wish I knew about it earlier. Here was me with my loud V8.
1710547397502.png

However, this is the chick magnet of the future! And it' won't struggle to get to 88MPH.
1710546864273.png

Last edited:
Yeah the Ultra is plenty and at 180 Pounds very manageable, good thing about the ultra is that a lot of aftermarket batteries, controllers and engines are already available.

Me, I'm waiting for Energica to come out with a 400-450 pounds Tenere style rally bike,

Energica has made huge leaps on the batteries, in only a few years they have pretty much double the capacity while shedding about 20 pounds.

Their Tourer, the 560 pound 17" wheels Experia can give a solid 150-170 miles range by riding quite spirited, much more if trying to save and with the fast DC charger that can re-charge the bike in half hour

I'd never heard of Energica before. They look interesting and have plenty of range for where you live.

My biggest concern about the ultra is that I will be a little disappointed with it's power (not torque), but who knows. It's great that it has an upgrade path but that battery back costs just about as much as the bike. Then you still need a new controller and motor... Maybe should have just bought the stark at that point. I wish there was something off the shelf that is in-between the Ultra and the Varg.

I'd never heard of Energica before. They look interesting and have plenty of range for where you live.

My biggest concern about the ultra is that I will be a little disappointed with it's power (not torque), but who knows. It's great that it has an upgrade path but that battery back costs just about as much as the bike. Then you still need a new controller and motor... Maybe should have just bought the stark at that point. I wish there was something off the shelf that is in-between the Ultra and the Varg.
Yeah Energica is the leader in the field,...as a bonus they are from the town I'm from :D

The good thing about the Stark is that yes it has 80 HP but you easily set the power where you want, probably 30-40 HP is a great start, at 240 # she is not really that heavy and also you have to keep in mind E-motos wear the weight down low so the perceived weight while riding is far less

Reactions: Phil.Probe
Airguns, why do we love airguns ?

The ease of shooting them, the efficiency, the precision, the underdog factor, the low maintenance ( with firearms I have to clean them every time I shoot ) and last but not least the silence.

I find a lot of parallels with my Electric bike pretty much all mentioned above.

So ? .....so I had this Donny FL sticker and figured it would sit perfectly on the tail of my bike ;)View attachment 445371View attachment 445372
You've just confused the heck out of whoever is riding behind you (unless they are airgunners!)

• Haha
I agree.
I was very hesitant, but eventually purchased my first electric bicycle a few years ago.
Himiway.
Love it.
I own several motorcycles, and electric will never replace a V twin purring down the highway, but....
Short commutes around town, electric is great.
Unfortunately, larger electric vehicles have a looooong way to go.
I saw a review about a Rivian electric truck, going coast to coast, pulling a small trailer with maybe 1500 lbs cargo as I recall, and it was pathetic.
They spent more time charging, then they did traveling!
But a small, lightweight bicycle = great.

I agree.
I was very hesitant, but eventually purchased my first electric bicycle a few years ago.
Himiway.
Love it.
I own several motorcycles, and electric will never replace a V twin purring down the highway, but....
Short commutes around town, electric is great.
Unfortunately, larger electric vehicles have a looooong way to go.
I saw a review about a Rivian electric truck, going coast to coast, pulling a small trailer with maybe 1500 lbs cargo as I recall, and it was pathetic.
They spent more time charging, then they did traveling!
But a small, lightweight bicycle = great.
Yes completely agree,...the energy delivery system isn't quite there yet and needs to catch up with the motors that btw are just fabulous and performance wise are superior.

But tech moves fast, batteries will get smaller and yet more powerful and the charging infrastructure will become more widespread ( footprint for charging stations is way smaller then for gas station and you can put them anywhere ) and the charging will be faster too.

so couple with smaller more powerful batteries and better infrastructure and EVs will in not to long become valuable even for extended cross country trips.

Also can you imagine if they will be able to have a mini nuclear reactor for vehicles, or something along these lines ?

.......Then with the phenomenal performance of electric motors, the magic carpet ride feel and the basically zero maintenance if would be a joy to put down big miles