When life takes a hard left turn

Twenty years ago, I had my left hip replaced. Ten years ago, the other one. 7 months ago, my right knee. Fortunately, I don't suffer from the arthritis that you do. You may want to examine your diet and eliminate foods that aggravate arthritis like nightshade vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, white potatoes, eggplant). Eat more eggs, asparagus, garlic and onions. These contain more sulphur. Pineapple is good too. Rice, wheat, rye are good too. Can't say that this will help, but it's worth a try. Do some research on dietary supplements. Glucosamine/chondroitin is a good one. While nsaid medications temporarily ease the pain, long term affects aren't great. Drink plenty of water. Enjoy shooting as much as you can. It's good for you.

Reactions: ironlion269
Hey fellow pneuma-nuts, been some time since I posted. As with all of us, 2022 was a year of defining moments for me. It began with terrible migrating joint pains that led me to a rheumatologist who confirmed I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. A month later that expanded to RA and Lupus, two similar yet distinct autoimmune diseases that attack joints, muscles, and select organs. By late Fall I added a left hip replacement to my changing health profile. That surgery led to a severe infection in the hip and three more surgeries in the following five months. I now sit on a new set of hardware emplaced yesterday morning and I pray this is the final phase of this turn in my life.

My thoughts of looking for pesting permissions died a slow death as the full extent of my new limitations has become clear; weakened hips and legs and permanently swollen hands do not lend themselves to rambles around farm yards and standing sessions with shooting sticks.

In the end I've found that my airgun collection needs to be adjusted to focus on internally powered airguns: PCPs and CO2s. Multi-pumps and heavy target guns are beyond me now as are low end plinkers with heavy/non-adjustable triggers. Time and again the vagaries of growing older reorder my priorities, going even so far as choices in which airguns can stay and which have to go. I didn't think these kinds of challenges would come so soon in life, but it's a fallen world we live in.

So on we go, already deep into 2023 and all that life brings. I hope you all are prospering in health, home, and every endeavor you embrace. And of course I hope you are shooting straight and safe. Aim small, miss small...and remember that your foundation, in shooting as in every aspect of life, must be firm and trustworthy. May God bless you all.
You know why they call it the golden years right? It takes all of your gold to keep going.

• Haha
Treatment costs can be huge. I get intravenous immunoglobulin monthly for the CIDP and it's ungodly what the insurance costs for it is. Been that way for several years and will be needed monthly until death. Treatments for some of the autoimmune diseases suppress the immune system, leaving a person vulnerable to infections. Some have very serious side affects. It can be difficult to find a balance where the cure isn't worse than the affliction.

• Sad
Treatment costs can be huge. I get intravenous immunoglobulin monthly for the CIDP and it's ungodly what the insurance costs for it is. Been that way for several years and will be needed monthly until death. Treatments for some of the autoimmune diseases suppress the immune system, leaving a person vulnerable to infections. Some have very serious side affects. It can be difficult to find a balance where the cure isn't worse than the affliction.
One of the members of the rock band The Eagles, Glen Frey, came down with RA. He eventually passed on. But, it wasn't the RA that killed him. It was the medications that they put him on that destroyed his immune system.

• Sad
Hey fellow pneuma-nuts, been some time since I posted. As with all of us, 2022 was a year of defining moments for me. It began with terrible migrating joint pains that led me to a rheumatologist who confirmed I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis. A month later that expanded to RA and Lupus, two similar yet distinct autoimmune diseases that attack joints, muscles, and select organs. By late Fall I added a left hip replacement to my changing health profile. That surgery led to a severe infection in the hip and three more surgeries in the following five months. I now sit on a new set of hardware emplaced yesterday morning and I pray this is the final phase of this turn in my life.

My thoughts of looking for pesting permissions died a slow death as the full extent of my new limitations has become clear; weakened hips and legs and permanently swollen hands do not lend themselves to rambles around farm yards and standing sessions with shooting sticks.

In the end I've found that my airgun collection needs to be adjusted to focus on internally powered airguns: PCPs and CO2s. Multi-pumps and heavy target guns are beyond me now as are low end plinkers with heavy/non-adjustable triggers. Time and again the vagaries of growing older reorder my priorities, going even so far as choices in which airguns can stay and which have to go. I didn't think these kinds of challenges would come so soon in life, but it's a fallen world we live in.

So on we go, already deep into 2023 and all that life brings. I hope you all are prospering in health, home, and every endeavor you embrace. And of course I hope you are shooting straight and safe. Aim small, miss small...and remember that your foundation, in shooting as in every aspect of life, must be firm and trustworthy. May God bless you all.
“And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?” - Job 1:18

Man, I had a serious awakening in the same zip code. A year ago, just a lil pain in my hip. I'm an old war horse who played competitive basketball until I was 56. Suddenly, after a routine blood test, doctor CALLED me and told me to go to the emergency room. Turned out nothing lethal... but serious irregularities that need to be monitored as well as a bunch of other recent developments, like letting my friend "Arthur" move in and take up a bunch my space. Who's Arthur, you ask?... "Arthur-I-tis"!!! Knots on hands, L1-L4 is toast, can't open jars, using my 30 minute tank more than my 60 minute... oh yeah, hip replacement last November.
All that to say YOU ARE NOT ALONE! This is new territory for a lot of us. I'm a vegetarian, lift 3 days/wk, and walk/swim everyday. Keep fighting,... keep shooting.
As my 84y.o. retired registered nurse neighbor (who gave me the keys to her workshop to shoot squirrels all day) told me, "Keep moving!" Bless Up!

Sorry, I know what you are going through, my mother had rheumatoid arthritis and it was bad, I inherited Arthritis but luckily is not rheumatoid, both shoulders, knees, fingers and hips, back has Sciatica both sides and Afib had 2 ablations both failed, ain't getting old just wonderful...:eek::p
I hope the replacements help and you get to feeling better.;)