When life blows up your jeep motor ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coulda been worse brother
View attachment 430056
NOT my rig

Good job on the rebuild.
This is the number one reason they closed all the state game trails and township shortcut routes over the mountains. We lost access to native trout streams and some great hunting areas. Clowns go in there and act like they own it.

• Sad
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I see new pistons and wrist-pins and freshly honed jugs.

I can't help but ask... Did it drop a valve? What brought the engine to a stop? Cylinder 6 con-rod?

J~
Cracked cylinder head which is why I had the brand new head on stand by, however, I had a loss of oil pressure as well. Started to hear very faint lower end noise. Crank and rods turned out to be good. I also replaced the camshaft and lifters as well.

When I went into this, I didn't have time to diag via looking and then order parts so I ordered everything all at once, pistons, rings, cam, lifters, bearings, etc... I "lucked out" that a hone cleaned up the cylinders.

Running smooth now and not a puff of smoke :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Treefrog
Cracked cylinder head which is why I had the brand new head on stand by, however, I had a loss of oil pressure as well. Started to hear very faint lower end noise. Crank and rods turned out to be good. I also replaced the camshaft and lifters as well.

When I went into this, I didn't have time to diag via looking and then order parts so I ordered everything all at once, pistons, rings, cam, lifters, bearings, etc... I "lucked out" that a hone cleaned up the cylinders.

Thanks.

Nice! Glad to see that you caught it before it got to the whacka-whacka stage. It's also good to see that you were set up and ready to go when it did. Bottom ends get expensive quickly.

I'm guilty of having more than a few boxes of 'anticipated' parts sitting around. Once you have the experience, you can write down the mileage at which they'll be needed on the box.

J~

• Love
Nice! I was wondering what happened to you. Makes working on airguns seem ridiculously easy doesn't it?
At least you had Peri to help, is there nothing that dog can't do? [ I kid ] I had a Wrangler with the I6 4.0L, it had decent power and ran well, glad I didn't have to do that! My Tacoma has 220K on it, so I know something is coming soon there too.

This is the number one reason they closed all the state game trails and township shortcut routes over the mountains. We lost access to native trout streams and some great hunting areas. Clowns go in there and act like they own it.
Agreed, and I have witnessed the same myself.
Access to public and private land both denied due to lack of consideration and the inability to comply with rules.
4 wheelers, hunters, etc. the public can generally be relied upon to disappoint it seems.

The old AMC 258 was another rock solid Inline motor.

Nice! I was wondering what happened to you. Makes working on airguns seem ridiculously easy doesn't it?
At least you had Peri to help, is there nothing that dog can't do? [ I kid ] I had a Wrangler with the I6 4.0L, it had decent power and ran well, glad I didn't have to do that! My Tacoma has 220K on it, so I know something is coming soon there too.
Peri can do anything! She was a great supervisor and lucky charm.

Reactions: PumaCarl

How big was the #1 cylinder? The first one usually has all the wear on it due to it getting too much cooling. I built a 4.0 for my daughter in law about 7 years back and had to bore it .060" over just because the first cylinder had so much wear. The other five could've gotten by with just a hone if not for #1. I don't think she's put over 5000 miles on it since. She had my grandchildren and stopped driving it because it wasn't safe enough for children.

Status
Not open for further replies.