• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

When life blows up your jeep motor ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pull it, rebuild it, and install it in less than a week.

Yup, it blew up last weekend, so from Monday till yesterday morning I was doing all that's shown in pics, didn't take anything to a machine shop, did it all on my own. Well of course with the help of Peri! Drove about 100 miles on it so far and it's 👌

Oh and great news.... I FINALLY secured a permission for some winged rats!.. pigeons at the farm I've been frequenting. Back to airgunning I go. Also time to buy a backup vehicle, being stuck at home was arguably the worst , even though I love it here lol.

Really though, what a stressful week, very glad to be back to normalcy and get back to shooting!

20240121_172828.jpg
20240122_101219.jpg
20240122_130703.jpg
20240123_065517.jpg
20240123_063310.jpg
20240123_075310.jpg
20240125_124533.jpg
20240128_150302.jpg

It’s probably an esoteric thing to say, but I took one look at the metal cabinets in the background of the picture where you’re pressing the wrist pin out of the piston and thought ”This guy and I would probably understand one another.”
Also, it’s interesting to see how much room the 4.0 takes up in the engine bay of your XJ. My TJ seemed to have a lot more space in there all around, and I had a second engine driven compressor (for on board compressed air) with plumbing for not only the air tank out back, but also the compressor oiler.

Last edited:
How many miles before the rebuild?
140k miles. Previous owner(s) clearly did not know how to maintain anything. They knew how to keep it nice looking thats about it.
It’s probably an esoteric thing to say, but I took one look at the metal cabinets in the background of the picture where you’re pressing the wrist pin out of the piston and thought ”This guy and I would probably understand one another.”
The shop was a lot filthier during this time than it normally is too lol. A lot of things in disarray but easily found while doing this.

Reactions: techna
Well done man! I've work with a lot of techs in my years and I think I would have trusted maybe 3 of them to do that job. Excellent work
Thank you very much, it was quite stressful to be honest. Used a week of vacation time that I wanted to use for airgun comps, a lot of waiting for NDA shipments to come in but I did pat myself on the back with a 1 pound ribeye when I buttoned her up for good yesterday evening.

I think the 4.0 inline 6 is best motor jeep had. Not as good as the 300 my pops had in his f150, that thing was bullet proof. Changed out all the fluids,belts,hoses,brakes after pops passed n was amazed it still ran after seeing how nasty it all was. Ended up selling to a neighbors nephew who uses it for landscaping to give her a new life back on the road.

I assume you've got the tools to properly hone and or deck? Looks like good work. And I assume by the setting (and apparent quality of work) you know what you're doing. Looks like a job well done. But from doing it myself a few times (mostly on turbo supras) I know those long blocks (and heads) really throw a fit if they're not just right.

Well done man! I've work with a lot of techs in my years and I think I would have trusted maybe 3 of them to do that job. Excellent work
I totally get that, that was always my bread and butter. Easy to make money being a good builder with no comebacks. Great job on clean up of everything CT.

I assume you've got the tools to properly hone and or deck? Looks like good work. And I assume by the setting (and apparent quality of work) you know what you're doing. Looks like a job well done. But from doing it myself a few times (mostly on turbo supras) I know those long blocks really throw a fit if they're not just right.
Hone yes, deck no. Block was straight, head I had sitting on standby brand spanking new. Its running real smooth . Just a guy in a home garage following torque specs and instructions lmao

You pull it, rebuild it, and install it in less than a week.

Yup, it blew up last weekend, so from Monday till yesterday morning I was doing all that's shown in pics, didn't take anything to a machine shop, did it all on my own. Well of course with the help of Peri! Drove about 100 miles on it so far and it's 👌

Oh and great news.... I FINALLY secured a permission for some winged rats!.. pigeons at the farm I've been frequenting. Back to airgunning I go. Also time to buy a backup vehicle, being stuck at home was arguably the worst , even though I love it here lol.

Really though, what a stressful week, very glad to be back to normalcy and get back to shooting!

View attachment 429999View attachment 430000View attachment 430001View attachment 430002View attachment 430003View attachment 430004View attachment 430005View attachment 430007
Great work man!

• Love
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I know it can be done (I'm assuming painstakingly) with a lapping plate. I could see doing aluminum, not so much iron :ROFLMAO:

Glad it was straight, though. And always nice to have backup parts on hand! :cool:
Luckily the block is about bulletproof. True story we had a guy on drugs drive down our shop road and almost hit a guy walking, he turned around at the end of the dead end and the walker put 2 .357 rounds into the block through the radiator. Well, the shop owner bought it after it sat wrecked on oir lot for 2 months. After acquiring we pulled the engine. One shot scatterred the head and valvetrain, the other hit the front cover and stopped at the blocked. After the wire wheel, not a mark on the block.lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.