• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

When is it time to move on to a new gun?

Not fully understanding where you’re going with this one. I never said new guns don’t interest me, or the hobby in general is losing my interest. I’m saying, when is it time to throw in the towel and sell something you’re not shooting well (even though it’s a stellar shooter), and buy something else that you may shoot better.
What I’m saying is, why try to force something to fit that may not be a good fit? For example, some guys don’t like bullpups because they’re awkward to hold, cock, etc. It may be an ergonomics thing that prevents them from enjoying what many others tout about a gun, let’s say a Taipan Veteran. I don’t see anything wrong with selling that gun if it doesn’t fit you as well as it fits others. Or as others have suggested, maybe take more time to work on learning to shoot that gun that’s proven to be difficult for you to take to. Personally I spend time with the ones that fit me and my intended uses. Therefore, I don’t see much wrong with using “what works” meaning what I shoot well. At that point it may be a good time to trade or sell a gun that just doesn’t fit well with my style of shooting or my needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeintheuk
Maybe I wasn’t as clear as I though in my first post. What I’m trying to ask is when you’re not accurate with a gun you own, but like the gun, do you practice and practice until you are good with it? Or do you sell for something else?

there have been many guns I just didn’t like, and sold or traded them for something I did. I also like to have guns I use and have a purpose. If it’s a safe queen, it doesn’t stick around for long. I feel certain guns just fit certain people better than others. Otherwise, we’d all own the exact same guns. They also have different purposes. Some like to plink, some like shooting paper, some (like me) hunt and pest.
I’m with MikeWV, in where I feel you should do what makes you content as it’s your hard earned dollars, your sweat, you earned it.

But, wiyh me, if I let a gun go because it’s not performing to my standards or I can’t perform to its standards I’m not gonna give up. I will do whatever it takes, buy whatever needs bought, and test whatever needs testing till I find out where the guns or my flaws are.

This second impact MK2 I picked up almost a year ago has been a journey. I almost fell for the discussions about 22 cal redesigns being crap. Tried different twist liners, different speeds, cleaned and polished liners till my hands bled(ok that’s a little overboard), tweak here, tweak there, and finally, finally, I’ve got groups I’m happy with.

It’s a good feeling, Andy, to conquer a troublesome pcp. I say you keep the top tier ones you now have and show ‘Em whose boss! Ha ha

Oh, and part of this journey just made me better overall in learning about more quirks an impact could have, and now I’m even more excited that now I can just focus on scope use mastery, meaning I’m thru questioning the guns abilities

I have been through some guns since I got into this hobby. It has only been about 7 months now and between my wife and I we have bought 8 PCP’s. We are now down to 4.
We are happy with what we have but every time I pick up a traditional rifle (think Huntsman, Crown etc) style I just love the feel of it. Completely different than bullpups.
Had to try one so ordered a Crown MKII. I am hoping the accuracy is what I am expecting. Looking forward to tinkering, tuning and learning the gun.
Then when the time is right I will give a big bore a try.
There seems no end to the variety and I can play for the rest of my life.

madeintheuk;
Airguns are a hobby I do for fun. When of if a gun becomes more frustrating than fun, I'm moving on. Life is too short to purposely do things that are not enjoyable or rewarding on some level.
I like to think of it more as life being too short that I can’t enjoy the sweet reward long enough of overcoming and mastering something that had previously caused frustration.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeintheuk
I haven't been blessed with an airgun that I didn't like or that didn't shoot well. I don't really "move on" to a new gun as much as I "pick up" a new gun. I have never sold a gun to fund a new one. But if I were to run across a gun that just did not fit for some reason, I would sell it on the condition it was not defective.
Every several years, I get the itch. My most recent purchase was due to a specific deficiency of my Marauder (its weight) for certain types of shooting. The Mrod is great from a bench or if you aren't walking around all day. I decided I wanted a lighter field gun to compliment the Mrod, not to replace it.