When I felt remorse about hunting of a dove (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKtU-XL2W2Q

Some events during hunting make me think and review my doing.
One of these events was with a dove.
I saw it over a building.
The distance was 85 yards.
On this day I was hesitant to shoot it.
I do not know why?
Something like a voice within my soul was saying do not shoot this dove, it should live!
But I had not listen to advice.
I pressed the trigger.
The dove fell over the roof.
When I went to get it.
It was bleeding and standing like a statue.
There was a spot of blood beneath dove.
This means that it has not moved from its place since its fall.
I approached dove.
It did not move.
This is unnatural because doves in Egypt are very afraid of people.
Something made dove overcome its instinctive fear of people. Maybe that was a great pain or unknown thoughts in its mind make it do not care.
When I had touched dove, it suddenly a little flew then stood again.
Dove was looking at me.
I saw incomprehensible look in its eye.
I felt that the dove was weeping without tears.
As if it felt its death approaching.
I felt that the dove was blaming me and saying why did you do that? This is my life; I have nothing but this life. You do not have a right to eat me.
For the first time I felt guilty about hunting.I regretted stealing life of this dove.
I remained depressed to the end of the day.
Time was enough to erase the sense of remorse.But remembrance and lesson remain

Reactions: sonny
Well, maybe an 85 yard shot was not as ethical as you first thought? If I hunt, I will only shoot at something that I know I can cleanly kill...I have bypassed a lot of game because of it, but so be it.

One time, years ago, I was deer hunting, and had this Doe hobble past me with an arrow sticking two-thirds out of it's side, way high in the spine area. It made me sick to my stomach that some SOB would take a shot like that, where the arrow hardly had any penetration. Either they did not have a clear line of sight where the arrow glanced off a small tree branch, or they were being a real idiot and shot way out of the kill range. Either way, whoever did that sucks.

I was just angry that I did not have a Doe tag, so I could have put it down. I called the DNR and told them what I saw, and they said that they would send a Conservation Officer out to "put it down", if they could find it.

The longest shot I ever put on a deer was about 125 yards, even though the Model 700 in .30-06' could have easily taken a White Tail at greater distance. I will not shoot at a critter unless I am positive I can put it down with one shot.

Hang in there my friend, your videos are very good, and you are certainly a good shot...just remember this time, and don't repeat it. Peace.

Well, maybe an 85 yard shot was not as ethical as you first thought? If I hunt, I will only shoot at something that I know I can cleanly kill...I have bypassed a lot of game because of it, but so be it.

One time, years ago, I was deer hunting, and had this Doe hobble past me with an arrow sticking two-thirds out of it's side, way high in the spine area. It made me sick to my stomach that some SOB would take a shot like that, where the arrow hardly had any penetration. Either they did not have a clear line of sight where the arrow glanced off a small tree branch, or they were being a real idiot and shot way out of the kill range. Either way, whoever did that sucks.

I was just angry that I did not have a Doe tag, so I could have put it down. I called the DNR and told them what I saw, and they said that they would send a Conservation Officer out to "put it down", if they could find it.

The longest shot I ever put on a deer was about 125 yards, even though the Model 700 in .30-06' could have easily taken a White Tail at greater distance. I will not shoot at a critter unless I am positive I can put it down with one shot.

Hang in there my friend, your videos are very good, and you are certainly a good shot...just remember this time, and don't repeat it. Peace.

You think in a perfect way.But it is hard to be sure that you can put bird down with one shot regardless of distance.

There are LOTS of folks who can not hunt for just this reason. More who can not take a life and have trouble setting a mouse trap. 

The world might be better if there were more people like that. 

Feeling guilty about an out come like that is a good thing.

Look of dove and its reaction was unusual. Point is not killing the dove, but what dove felt at the moment of death.

Hassan, Thanks for sharing this. You obviously recognize how precious life is. It’s awful when you screw up a shot and then have to deal with it. Taking away life does mean something, and to have these feelings about it shows that you respect it, in my opinion. Plus you are eating the doves not just killing for fun. Good for you for deeply considering it, then sharing it. 

If this helps.....wild animals/birds don't feel sorry for themselves.

This. I’m fully convinced most or all animals have personalities, can problem solve, and experience emotions, based on a lifetime of observation of animal behavior. But nonetheless people they are not. 

Once I shot a baby coon in front of its momma. Momma examined her dead baby, ran off a few paces, then walked back and went to eating corn again. Corn meant more to her than her dead baby. 

Animals are amazing living beings in many respects. In other respects, they are biological robots that live only within the parameters of their programing. 

A great story, and well documented. These situations are well known between hunters, and the fact that you have second thoughts is nothing but a human reaction, and why we are not animals. 

Even the cutest cat would play with the mouse, and even hurt it badly before killing it. And acting rather proud afterwards, even treat the mouse as a trophy. Well, there the cat and (some) hunters may have some similarities.....

Sorry, not helpful, but I try to say that you appear to be a decent chap Egyptian_sniper. 

This. I’m fully convinced most or all animals have personalities, can problem solve, and experience emotions, based on a lifetime of observation of animal behavior. But nonetheless people they are not. 

Once I shot a baby coon in front of its momma. Momma examined her dead baby, ran off a few paces, then walked back and went to eating corn again. Corn meant more to her than her dead baby. 

Animals are amazing living beings in many respects. In other respects, they are biological robots that live only within the parameters of their programing.

You shot a baby raccoon in front of her mother and you imply the mother was heartless. That’s rich. 

You shot a baby raccoon in front of her mother and you imply the mother was heartless. That’s rich.

Oh, I’m not implying it. I’m openly stating she’s pretty much a biological robot whose has genetic programming we call “instinct.” Animals are not moral actors like we are. They don’t ponder the morality of life and what they do. If they did, they would be culpable for their actions. Yet none of us are about to indict a killer whale or sea otter for rape and murder

Are you strong enough to handle the truth? Or does the truth hurt your feelings? That you care more about a baby coon than its mother only proves my point. 

Gentlemen, poets, philosophers...I'm 76, and have lived an eventful life. I've had to deal with poverty, drugs, war, alcoholism, ungrateful children, road rage, and 50+ years of marriage to the same woman. As I reflect on my experiences, I have come to the following conclusions...

I feel no remorse when I shoot a goose, a beautiful, graceful, magnificent, creature that poops all over my boat, my dock, my lawn chairs, I don't like geese.

I feel no remorse when I kill an armadillo. A hardy creature, a scavenger of nature's trash, it means harm to no one and conducts it's business at night, It digs holes in my wife's flower garden, looking for the night crawlers I put in there at great personal expense. My wife awakens to a bright sunny day and finds holes all over her flower garden, so I catch hell because I am held responsible for the presence of those holes!

I shoot harmless English Sparrows, and common Black Birds, because they are an invasive species that takes food out of the beaks of our native song birds! They eat my expensive Walmart birdseed, and give me nothing in return. The bastards can't even sing!!! While 4 and 20 of them might make a pie, YOU try cleaning that many birds! Then talk your wife into baking the damn things in her oven, and Corelle casserole dish!

I shoot raccoons because they are ill-tempered, and downright mean! I never met one I liked, and I don't want them in my neighborhood going through my garbage can, deck box, trash bags, and scattering crap all over the street. Besides...I like to watch them jump around after a head shot...sometimes, as I watch, I clap my hands and dance a little jig while singing the lyrics of the catchy ballad written by Huddie “Lead Belly” Ledbetter,.. Whoa, Black Betty

I kill possums....because they are ugly! I don't like ugly women either...they may be good dancers, but they are still ugly.

Fond regards,

Kindly 'Ol Uncle 

"...Life is short, and we must run, but I've lots of pellets for my gun, and there's plenty of critters before I'm done."