• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

When food is priority over danger

Vetmx, You get 5 stars ***** for being a human with compaction. 

Patrick

5 Stars for being a constipated human. That’s a new one. 😅 

Bad joke I know. Couldn’t resist. Sounds like “impaction.” Anyhow I was just teasing.

Ha Ha, Jokes on me for sure :) , Finger slips can cause lots of constipation...I mean compaction...wait. I really mean Compassion.

P

LoL good story, Vetmx.

Rabbits are space cadets, not very bright and totally non aggressive. At least the ones I've seen.

I shot one in the heart about 10 years ago with a .177 R9 at about 20 yards.

Watched in disbelief as he didn't even blink. My 1st thought was I forgot to load a pellet.

I kept watching through the scope and after about 15 seconds it started to wobble, passed out and died.

It didn't even realize it had been shot.

Last summer I caught this one bare handed in my back yard. He struggled some but never even attempted to bite me.

I held him for a little while till his heartbeat settled down to normal and then let him go.

Fenced the garden in with chicken wire so I no longer need to shoot the bunnies.

20210723_154047.1645881782.jpg

I put some seeds on my woodpile every evening to lure out mice and moles. I get a couple a week. Finally in the dead of winter this rabbit discovers the seeds. It climbs up on the woodpile and eats them. I admired its ability to discover them up there. Admiration soon dwindled when I realized it was eating all the seeds so no more mice. I don’t want to shoot it because there really is no reason to. I’m positive I will never catch it in my house chewing on stuff. So I decided to shoot this stainless piece of chimney right beside it. The rabbit never even flinched. So I put a .177 slug right through its ear to scare it. It ran away. A couple days later it was back up on my woodpile showing off it’s new piercing. So I pierced its ear with another slug. It ran back in a little ways and spun facing me. I watched it grab it’s ear, pull it down and lick it. I’m done. It won. Now I just feed the dang thing. Here’s a pic of it with two piercings. It’s out there right now, piercings still visible so it inspired me to write this. Sorry, no dead body at the end of this story. At least not yet.
5035BE8C-2641-4AB3-AB14-F2B5F5F934C4.1645838628.png

I have a friend that used to take care of a golf course and he would do the same thing with deer but with a 22 rimfire. He said that they really didn't like being shot in the ear and would take off but eventually would come back. He had several that had been shot 4 or 5 times. 

Yeah I've been leaving the rabbits alone on my property too.

Last week I built a mouse trap from a 5 gallon bucket - put a gallon of water in it, drilled two holes opposite each other in the bucket 1/2" from the top, with a brass rod going from one hole to the other, and a water bottle with holes drilled on both ends with the rod going through them. Smeared Nutella on the sides of the bottle and up the piece of wood used as a ladder going to the top of the bucket so the mice can climb up it. It got 6 mice in 3 nights.

I had a chicken block on the ground and one day I kicked it over by accident, well those funny moles were eating the bottom out of it out, LOL!!! Dastardly things.

It takes too much patience hunting those moles, only once in a great while I'll see one to snipe. So funny watching my Siberian Shepard cocking his head back and forth listening for them under the ground. Silly dog!

LoL good story, Vetmx.

Rabbits are space cadets, not very bright and totally non aggressive. At least the ones I've seen.

I shot one in the heart about 10 years ago with a .177 R9 at about 20 yards.

Watched in disbelief as he didn't even blink. My 1st thought was I forgot to load a pellet.

I kept watching through the scope and after about 15 seconds it started to wobble, passed out and died.

It didn't even realize it had been shot.

Last summer I caught this one bare handed in my back yard. He struggled some but never even attempted to bite me.

I held him for a little while till his heartbeat settled down to normal and then let him go.

Fenced the garden in with chicken wire so I no longer need to shoot the bunnies.

20210723_154047.1645881782.jpg

That is obviously a very young rabbit. When they are young, the only protection they know is staying VERY still. They don't even understand biting as a defense.

If they survive to adulthood, they DO learn better strategies, but I think they never lose the thought that standing perfectly still is a "good" defense. And it actually is... much, but not all of the time... (chuckle/sigh)