When do you start to get annoyed by a leak on your gun?

I know PCPs leak. I had my FX Impact M3 serviced a year ago for seals. They also tuned it for 30gr slugs. It is maxed out at the moment. Not that I need it to be but it is. I use it for backyard hunting raccoons in the winter for the most part. It will be shot maybe 20x a year and probably no more than 5 shots per occasion if even that. I would imagine that does not help. Anyways now it is leaking again very very slowly. 10 PSI a week. No big deal at all. But when it was new, it held pressure for a very long time. The Leshey2 I had also held pressure. It seamed like it never lost any pressure. Anyways... I am just curious. Would you service it? Should I care?

As much as I like the M3, I am starting to feel it is a total overkill and too much complication for my 20 yards distance, private war with coons. Maybe I should get something simple.

It shouldn't be a given that "PCPs leak." A properly sealed system won't leak at all when stored in stable temps. This applies to any HP air system, not just PCP airguns. If there is a leak, however slow it may be, it indicates a problem with the system and should be addressed...since a slow leak can sometimes turn into a violent leak and cause other issues if left unattended. So to answer your question, if even a very slow leak is noticed, I pull the gun out of service immediately.

It shouldn't be a given that "PCPs leak." A properly sealed system won't leak at all when stored in stable temps. This applies to any HP air system, not just PCP airguns. If there is a leak, however slow it may be, it indicates a problem with the system and should be addressed...since a slow leak can sometimes turn into a violent leak and cause other issues if left unattended. So to answer your question, if even a very slow leak is noticed, I pull the gun out of service immediately.
Okay... got it... get it fixed. I will bring it in tomorrow. It is raining anyways the next 2-3 days. I am like this anyways with all my things. Everything has to be 100% or it annoys me. Cars especially but everything else too. I was just wondering if it was my OCD again.

I don't know since I started using Evanix guns leaks where so rare I can't even remember them, I think of the 20 or so Evanix I had only one or two had minor leaks at the check valve and that is because debris get stuck on the valve, a two minute job clears that out.
do you have a evinix viper? I was reading about them coming out and people having trouble with them sometimes dumping the magazine.. I haven't seen anything about them recently.. I have read lots about the huben gk1 pistol and although it seems like it has a lot of moving parts, seems like everyone is happy with them.. I thought it was extremely clever and makes good use of the shroud as a air tube on the viper..
mark

I know PCPs leak. I had my FX Impact M3 serviced a year ago for seals. They also tuned it for 30gr slugs. It is maxed out at the moment. Not that I need it to be but it is. I use it for backyard hunting raccoons in the winter for the most part. It will be shot maybe 20x a year and probably no more than 5 shots per occasion if even that. I would imagine that does not help. Anyways now it is leaking again very very slowly. 10 PSI a week. No big deal at all. But when it was new, it held pressure for a very long time. The Leshey2 I had also held pressure. It seamed like it never lost any pressure. Anyways... I am just curious. Would you service it? Should I care?

As much as I like the M3, I am starting to feel it is a total overkill and too much complication for my 20 yards distance, private war with coons. Maybe I should get something simple.
Got rid of mine, for the exact same reason. Thing seem to always leak. Pissed me off constantly, to the point i hated that rifle !

Reactions: airgunmike56
do you have a evinix viper? I was reading about them coming out and people having trouble with them sometimes dumping the magazine.. I haven't seen anything about them recently.. I have read lots about the huben gk1 pistol and although it seems like it has a lot of moving parts, seems like everyone is happy with them.. I thought it was extremely clever and makes good use of the shroud as a air tube on the viper..
mark
I'm the biggest Evanix fan I think lately they gone crazy with the pricing I think the Viper is a 600 dollar gun, no more.

Reactions: markhooper
If a PCP is 6 or 10 years old and starts leaking I just send it off and have it resealed ,All the 0 rings, My RTI prophet II compact starting leaking about a year of owner ship, RTI did send out a lot of new valves to be installed in the leaking valve guns, Labor is all on the owner parts are free, New guns less than 5 years old should not leak, If they do something is wrong, Just what I think and I have been shooting PCP for a long time..

Mike

I'm the biggest Evanix fan I think lately they gone crazy with the pricing I think the Viper is a 600 dollar gun, no more.
I thought it was around the same price as the huben gk1 $1200???
do you have a evinix viper and the huben gk1.. just wondering how they compare and the difference and how happy you are with each one.. I don't tune my guns, just prefer to shoot out of the box and it working good..
also do you know what the major difference is between them and if one is better, less trouble than the other? from what I have read they are about the same size..
Mark

I thought it was around the same price as the huben gk1 $1200???
do you have a evinix viper and the huben gk1.. just wondering how they compare and the difference and how happy you are with each one.. I don't tune my guns, just prefer to shoot out of the box and it working good..
also do you know what the major difference is between them and if one is better, less trouble than the other? from what I have read they are about the same size..
Mark
No I don't have one, as I mention in my opinion they are grossly overpriced and nowhere near the Huben power capability

First, it is absolutely false to say that all PCPs leak. What most people that say this probably mean to say is that all PCPs will eventually leak. I think this is a true statement, as eventually seals will fail, even if it takes decades.

PCPs should not leak if all is well with them. Once I know that I have a leak, I usually will try to fix it in short order. That said 10 psi a week is incredibly small - the only reason that you are aware of it is because the gun is rarely fired and thus the compounding of the leak gets detected. In that case, if the leak is stable I would probably not fix it right away, but rather would monitor it for changes over time - unless that occasional use was critical to me: there would likely be a day when you pull it out to use to find that the leak has greatly accelerated and maybe even find the gun empty.

I’ve only been into PCP’s for about 8 years but I’ve owned several different brands. I had an Impact m3 but sold it because I was concerned about it leaking because my buddy has one that has given him fits. My other guns have not been a problem. So I don’t agree that PCP’s leak, sure they can leak but it’s not the norm. I would fix it immediately.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66