• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

when do you need "special" MOA or offset positionning rings

Hi all,

New to this... trying to understand a few things. Picking out rings to mount a scope on a rifle seemed straight forward at first... know your rail type and diameter of the scope "tube" and just get 2 of these rings. But as I am looking more into it I see that some rings exist where the 2 rings are in one assembly that has what is called for example "2 inches of forward positioning". I am assuming those are needed only if the scope size or the rifle design are "exotic" and you need to move the scope mounting location forward or backward for comfort of eye positioning... that seems straight forward enough. Did I miss something?

The kicker is the rings advertised with some amount of "MOA"... I think that is when the scope will end up "slanted" compared to the rifle. When do you know for sure you will need this? I thought scopes have the elevation adjustment to be able to compensate for the fact that scope and rifle "lines" can't stay parallel and have to "meet" somewhere at the point of aimed impact. So do you need those MOA rings because some scopes do not have built in elevation adjustment (??!), or because in some cases of very short range (say 10 yards) application, the scope does not have enough elevation adjustment and you need to mount it slanted...? It seems to make sense but really not sure as should not need any scope for that short a range either.

Could someone school me a bit here?

Thanks

The forward mounted rings have come about due to people mounting optics on AR15s that were intended for open sight use. The stock puts most people too close to the scope to get proper field of view. You probably don't need those unless your rifle has an unusually short stock. The MOA rings were originally intended for long range shooters who run out of adjustment on their scopes. They can be helpful on airguns with extremely high mounted optics like bullpups. You probably just need a standard set of medium or high rings depending on your rifle/optic combination.

Very simple. When you want to shoot longer ranges with a standard scope especially airgun, you can very simply " shim " up the rear ring. It doesn't take very much. No more than .010" will usually do the trick. Also the higher end rings are adjustable for elevation {FX No Limit } to increase MOA. In most cases, 20 MOA is all you need. 

Hope this helps

As stated in the above but many airguns have barrel droop from the factory especially break barrel springers but others also. These will need MOA rings or rings such as the FX NO Limit or one of the other adjustable rings available. Else you can run out of vertical adjustment trying to get your scope on target. I found one piece with the MOA are best for the more powerful spring and air strut guns for the most part. Two piece are fine for PCP guns and possibly some lower powered spring guns as well.

Thanks guys... I had it wrong thinking we needed to lower the scope nose for short range while it is actually running out of lowering the scope adjustment for compensating for projectile loss of elevation at long distance. Very clear. Got it. I am going to hone my skills at short / medium range for now so gonna get standard rings to start with. Thanks again guys

You most definitely need the MOA or droop compensating adjustable rings such as FX No Limits, Eagle Vision, or Sun Optics (The old B-Square) especially when using high magnification scopes with a very limited amount of elevation travel and not necessarily only to shoot at farther distances because you may not be able to zero your scope even at close range without them. Better err on the safe side unless you're only using a 4x or a 2-7x or maybe even a 3-9x where normal cheap non adjustable rings would probably do just fine but you still won't be able to optically center your scopes using regular mounts. 

The 3-9x should have sufficient elevation to have your gun zeroed to compensate for the typical barrel droop in airguns. Just don't ever plan on upgrading it to a higher magnification scope that's all then the 0 MOA regular basis style rings would do ok but you still won't be able to optically center your 3-9x or any scope but it sounds like you don't mind cranking the elevation more than it needs to be anyway.