When do I need to use a tank flow restrictor?

I recently purchased an Omega Super Charger compressor and a 100 cu.in tank. The valve on the tank includes a 2.5mm removable flow restrictor, to prevent filling the airgun from the tank too quickly. My question is: when filling the 100 cu.in. tank from the compressor, should I remove the flow restrictor from the tank valve to keep the compressor from overworking? (I would have to unscrew the valve connector from the valve each time)

Is the restrictor in the valve itself or is it in the male DIN fitting attached to the fill hose? If it is in the valve, you should not need to remove the tank valve restrictor each time you fill. I assume that in order to remove the valve restrictor, you would also need to remove the valve from the tank each time you fill it and that would not be practical.

If it is in the DIN fitting that screws into the valve, you have a few different options. I use 2 different fill sets. When filling my tanks from the compressor, I use a 3mm microbore hose with an unrestricted DIN300 fitting that goes into my tank valve. For filling my guns, I use a shorter 2mm microbore hose with a restricted DIN300 fitting, which makes it easier to control the fill and wastes less air per fill. On my setup (AV Compressor), I did notice that it took longer to fill my tanks when using the restricted fill set.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your post as a 100 cubic foot tank. If your tank valve does not use a DIN300 type valve/fill set, then the comments above would not be relevant.

Probably best to check with the manufacturer of the tank valve. What type/brand valve is it?

When filling a tank from a compressor, there's 2 ways to go about it..

VERY slowly - to help keep heat down / condensation down - and the restricting bushings would be useful..
*More restriction just means that the compressor would have to work harder and longer..

VS

Quickly - free flowing / non restricted, which will create more initial heat in the tank, 
and possibly cause a bit of condensation, however, monitoring the comp/tank heat can limit that..
*Less restriction means the compressor works a bit less, and won't have to run as long..

Me personally - I use delrin in-fitting restriction bushings for filling the gun-tanks only..

When filling larger tanks - especially my 90 cf SCBA tank - I don't restrict the airflow at all..

Also, when I refill my tank from the compressor - I use a male-male-fitting, 
that connects the compressor hose to the output hose from the tank, and just push air in 'backwards'.

That seems to work like a charm.

🙂 

Sam -

Not that familiar with scba tanks/valves, but very familiar with scuba valves. With scuba valves its easy to 'crack open the valve slightly and if its quiet hear the air start to flow and hear the check valve in the fill port snap open, see the pressure gauge on the gun start to rise and easily be able to regulate it and shut it down when its full in 5 to 10 seconds, or a little over to compensate for the loss from the bleeder. Are the scba valves unable to do this thus needing a restrictor...?

IMO would never have an inline restrictor in the compressor fill line to the storage tank. It could over amp the compressor possibly, or at the very least cause higher working amperage /heat.

jmo

Not that familiar with scba tanks/valves, but very familiar with scuba valves. With scuba valves its easy to 'crack open the valve slightly and if its quiet hear the air start to flow and hear the check valve in the fill port snap open, see the pressure gauge on the gun start to rise and easily be able to regulate it and shut it down when its full in 5 to 10 seconds, or a little over to compensate for the loss from the bleeder. Are the scba valves unable to do this thus needing a restrictor...?

IMO would never have an inline restrictor in the compressor fill line to the storage tank. It could over amp the compressor possibly, or at the very least cause higher working amperage /heat.

jmo

SCBA have a valve like scuba tanks. The flow can easily be adjusted via the valve. I agree with above replies. I would not restrict the fill line from the compressor or the fill line of the SCBA to the AG tank. You should be able to control the filling just with your SCBA valve.

An Omega tank fill hose includes an allen head restrictor plug threaded into the male 300DIN connector. I use my compressor fill hose to refill my tank after removing the tank's restricted flow hose. Compressors have unrestricted fill hoses and many include a 300DIN male connector that connect to the tank valve. It is helpful to have a restrictor on a tank output hose when filling a PCP. It prevents the pressure from a full fill tank from rapidly overfilling a PCP air cylinder. Years ago I had a friend overfill his Falcon PCP to the point of valve lock. He was lucky it didn't ruin the air cylinder. It required 400 firing cycles to release pressure down to normal. It is much easier to control your tank's air output with a flow restrictor than it is without one. Filling too fast can cause check valve o-ring damage and leaks from them. A flow restrictor is a nice convenience and safety feature, but not a must have if you are skilled at opening the valve slowly.

1551970379_5549398095c81304bb8f9a0.91943696_Flow restrictor.jpg

1551970427_18208786595c81307b1df2a7.96470874_Flow restrictor 1.jpg