• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

When clipping isn't an issue.......

So here's the deal. I shoot a Compact Taipan Vet in .25. It shoots great without an aftermarket moderator. If I do my part, dime sized groups @50 yds.
But when ever I spin on a moderator, it significantly adds to my flyers, regardless of the company. I've tried several name brand moderators. I go one size up in moderator size, so I know its not clipping. And I can visually see that I don't have a clipping issue.

I'm no airflow expert, but it seems to me that the back pressure by adding moderator is disturbing the flight of my pellets, causing the flyers.

The gun is a little hard on my ears if I don't use an external moderator, and using ear plugs/muffs is kind of a PITA. I haven't experimented with any air strippers yet.

But I guess I'd like to know if there are any manufacturers that incorporate an airstripper in their moderator design. Or if there are any guys here that design this type of devise.

Thanks for looking.

I'd put my money on harmonics. But odd for such a short barrel. I have the same issue, but on a freefloated 700mm barrel on a fx crown. Normally this is seen on looong barrels.

One case of what you're suspecting... or at least a comparative example... My .25 pp800 probably has some of the tightest baffles out of anyone's gun on here. At least one is 7mm bore intended for .22 cal. Some others are 7.5mm. Huma mod 40 so, the baffles can be changed. Gun produces 50fpe in a 9" barrel, and I know for a fact it is wasting a TON of air. And it'll still shoot super tight groups at 35 yards.

314202776_1511524812652444_6941206783415321586_n_edited.jpg

It doesn’t need to be clipping to have issues. Any moderator that’s not sitting perfect on its mount and in line with the barrel could have flyers. Coming out of the Moderator more on one side than the other but not clipping kinda thing. It’s like having a bad crown. This would make any moderator mounted to it act that way. Threads are only to pull the moderator tight ,not to line it up.
That’s just another point that not a lot of people look at. But with that being said I was never a fan of Moderator‘s because it’s a factor you bring into play for the gun not to be accurate. Loud and proud! Lol.

Reactions: dgeesaman
Have you tried turning the power down? I feel like my compact vet is one of the quietest factory guns I've owned.
I currently have it set at about 880ft./s shooting 25 gr. pellets. It seems that if I lower the power, my accuracy falls off. About 860-880 is the sweet spot for rifle.

What is your rifle set at?

Last edited:
Me shooting my airguns in a gun club only, I have many distances available to me, and earmuffs a must. In Canada moderators are a big Nono, especially at this my gun club where a law enforcement is leasing a calendar for their training groups.
I have several air strippers from different Brands, and I am a big fan.
At both 50 or 100 meters with both .22 and .25 calibers I can confirm that the groups are tighter also the POI is higher about 2 MOA and to the Right about 45 degree.
This all assume that the gun was well tuned for high Dwell time.
If your Dwell is not tuned there is no magic.