When birds think your targets are their perching place.

Caliber 22

Nov 29, 2023
SA
Two birds each perch on a target and I had to wait form them to move on.

Fork-tailed Drongo and Burchell's Coucal

Photo taken with cellphone through scope.

1707680997046.png

Last edited:
Somebody asked me why I did not shoot the target and chase the bird away like that.
Two things;
* I don't want to scare the birds otherwise they might not come back. I like birds. I have an album of about 430 bird photos on my list. If I don't have a photograph of a bird I took myself it don't go on my list. I know it is not much but it is about half of the more than 900 bird species in SA.
* The lead scattering in all directions might hurt the bird. I don't want to do that.

Yes I do like hunting but not at home or near somebody else's home who likes birds. And only birds like dove, pigeons, spurfowl or something I intend to eat. And of course invasive species like Indian Myna that does not belong here and is aggressive and do damage to the indigenous bird population.

Last edited:
No perching on targets, but “my” nuthatches show up like Pavlov’s dogs when they hear the pumping clacks. They sometimes sit in a tree right near where I shoot from. The clacks just signal that I am out there, and they are hoping I put some peanuts out for them.

In marked contrast, Euro doves hate the sound of pellets punching steel cans, especially nested steel cans. That’s a good thing. I want them to go away.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I have a steel rimfire/ airgun trap sitting on a 4" cinder block on the ground at the top of the bank of the creek behind me. It is my 30 yd shooting lane.

I get such a kick out of all the clueless critters who wander directly in front of my target and watch me watching them through my scope, Groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and some birds. They all get a pass in my yard unless they are starlings or hosps.

Its just funny.

Occasionally I'll have a curious grey squirrel emerge from the wood line and come up to investigate the "thump...thump" sound they hear being produced from the big old log that is the backstop of my 60yd target when I'm shooting through paper. They'll climb right up on it to try and figure out what is going on. The sound seems to intrigue them for some reason. They do not fair as well as your birds.