Wheel weights for pellet casting?

Noob airgunner here. Sold my Diana and ordered a Bauer compressor, (arrives today afternoon) an FX compact in .25 cal, and some JSB pellets. I've cast bullets and used a swagger for handguns but when reloading components became difficult and impossible to purchase I gave up the sport.

Question 1: Will wheel weight lead work for casting pellets?

Question 2: Can pellets be swaged?

Here is a book of good info http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

But in general, wheel weights may be too hard for airguns. And they are difficult to find now, most places have been forced to switch to steel or zinc. Unless you have a bunch and a source to get more, I'd just buy from Rotometals or Seabrook Fishing Sinkers. I would not mess around with ebay, Amazon, or Etsy, I've already been burned with a Amazon purchase that was junk unknown alloy.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Range lead can be from pure lead (in copper jacket) up to as hard as they could make in cast rounds. A lot of it depends on the velocity they were trying to hit. So really a mixed bag, I gave up that idea after messing with some unknown alloy I bought... Only going to go with what I know is good or what I mix myself. At least until the zombies approach and I can't find good pure lead, then whatever I can dig out of the ground like so many other people.

Thank you for the responses thus far. Using wheel weights I have cast and shot literally thousands of rounds through my .44 mag and .45 ACP with excellent results. Casting a quality bullet is largely dependent upon a good mold, technique and quality material. Wheel weights are perfect for hand gun bullets. While my interest in powder burners has waned I'm totally stoked about the airgun hobby/sport.

I've discovered just recently that JSB uses nearly pure lead and adds antimony and tin to manufacture pellets and slugs. They also manufacture pellets and slugs for FX.. After exhaustive research I have concluded there is no standard formula for wheel weights.I have some thousands of rounds of already cast and unswaged wheel weight bullets and another 100 pounds of decades old wheel weights that most certainly are mainly lead. I would be elated to discover my lead stash could be converted to pellets.

I have seen a hand operated press used to form slugs. Also seen a small 3 piece die used with a punch and hammer to form wasp waisted pellets. In both instances it appeared they were using lead wire of some sort.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used wheel weights to cast or swage pellets or slugs and what effect they have on your airgun. I'd be totally bummed if my wheel weight pellets ruined my brand new FX barrel!