• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Wheel Settings when swapping scope or gun

If you mean the parallax wheel range markings IE YARDS the answer is yes. The range markings are measured from the front optic of the scope.

"...The range markings are measured from the front optic of the scope."

I prefer to take my optical distance measurements from the erector tube gimbal location. The magnification adjuster ring in front of the ocular is usually close to the gimbal. That's where click angles and stadia angles begin, so all adjustments correlate to distance. That's also the location where the sight height stays constant regardless of elevation turret settings.

If you mean the parallax wheel range markings IE YARDS the answer is yes. The range markings are measured from the front optic of the scope.

"...The range markings are measured from the front optic of the scope."

I prefer to take my optical distance measurements from the erector tube gimbal location. The magnification adjuster ring in front of the ocular is usually close to the gimbal. That's where click angles and stadia angles begin, so all adjustments correlate to distance. That's also the location where the sight height stays constant regardless of elevation turret settings.

Scotchmo, I think I understand your post...basically the ranging distance starts from nearer the rear of the scope than the front? But...to the OPs question, if he just moves his scope to another gun and keeps everything the same such as reticle focus, scope height, and position on the gun, his original range markings would still be valid, shouldn’t they?

... But...to the OPs question, if he just moves his scope to another gun and keeps everything the same such as reticle focus, scope height, and position on the gun, his original range markings would still be valid, shouldn’t they?

For range markings, scope height does not need to be the same. Position on the gun will cause a small difference in range markings only if measurements were originally taken from the muzzle. And if measured from the muzzle, the clicks/holdover will be off a little from what you expect (especially noticeable at close range). If it's only range markings, and they were taken from the scope (not the muzzle), then yes, the original range markings would still be valid.