• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A What's your ultimate setup if you didn't have a budget or wife to kill you?

Honestly, and this is no lie. What I have already. For hunting in the woods. Crown compact in .22.
PSX_20201116_131452.jpg

Different horses for different courses, and as many of us, I find PCP Airguns like peanuts. Ever been satisfied eating just one? And since age and a disinclination to shoot anything since I was a kid in a green suit playing target, I don’t hunt. So my selections from by personal horde are all Target focused.

* Lightweight, short, handy, pick it up and step out back to pop off some targets? AGT Vixen.177; AirMaks Katran S/C .22.

* All rounder? Daystate Huntsmen Revere, .22; AGT Urgan 2 Prince, .22; Steyr Pro-X .22

* Reach out and touch some thing at 100+ Meters? If it is a calm day? American Air Arms Paradigm.22; A bit windy? RAW HM 1000X Chassis Rifle .25 or my Katran Long 700mm tube version in.25 ; When does kick it up a bit more? Bythe end of this week my “when are you going to stop buying those damn toys“ flock should be joined by an FX Crown Mk II .30 in a Saber Tactical chassis.

David

Last edited:
Wife has no problem with my interests, sold a few things so budget not really much of a hypothetical. Give that, with what I am interested in shooting and have opportunities to do so I am set with my AA Pro Sport and my FWB 603. Springer and SSP. Punch paper and spin/knock down metal things. The smaller the target the better.

Do have a better scope coming for the PS, but then I’m good for now. My fantasies are limited to finding premium pellets that are uniformly the size and weight stated on the tin. A Daystate Huntsman with the fully adjustable and gorgeous stock of a BSA R10 TH would be tempting. So would a Ghost with gray or forester laminate stock ala Alpha Wolf.

Wife has no problem with my interests, sold a few things so budget not really much of a hypothetical. Give that, with what I am interested in shooting and have opportunities to do so I am set with my AA Pro Sport and my FWB 603. Springer and SSP. Punch paper and spin/knock down metal things. The smaller the target the better.

Do have a better scope coming for the PS, but then I’m good for now. My fantasies are limited to finding premium pellets that are uniformly the size and weight stated on the tin. A Daystate Huntsman with the fully adjustable and gorgeous stock of a BSA R10 TH would be tempting. So would a Ghost with gray or forester laminate stock ala Alpha Wolf.
The Huntsman does come in what they call the “Safari”, with a laminate stock and adjustable cheek piece. I was not tempted after I saw the beautiful wood stock version. Very similar to my BSA Ultra CLK, and the newer generation of BSA is just great. The bolt action on the CLK is slick and smoothly effortless. The older iteration which you can get as the Gamo Urban 22 is rough as a cob by comparison.(Bought one for my grandson so I have done the comparison. Still the Urban is a great starter rifle and pretty good for not a lot of coin. The service was also good as they jumped right on some missing parts and sent them out quickly.)

David

I left one gun out of my earlier list since it’s mere mention seems to elicit a barrage of comments, criticisms, and usually from those who don’t own them or had them mishandled by someone who doesn’t understand them: Huben K1 in .25. Pops heavyweight chunks downrange WAY out there and as accurate as can be. Sure I don’t hunt but I do appreciate good engineering and design. And the ‘but the magazine isn’t removal’ crowd apparently never loaded an SA revolver. 😁

Last edited:
No wife so I have a lot of ultimate setups in my safe. A better question for me would be if I suddenly had a wife and she wanted Peter Pan to thin his herd, which one of my guns would I keep because it truly is the ultimate setup. I think I would get rid of all the mega guns with mega scopes and keep something practical, solid and simple. With a good scope also. So in my opinion, I don’t think you have to have $5k+ in a gun to have an ultimate setup. Ultimate headache? Maybe.

If my Huben K1 was just a little bit more accurate - and I don't mean by a lot, just enough to match my Daystate Air Ranger - I'd be good and done. That said, since I am after the accuracy, I'd probably try a Thomas set up. But after the ease and joy of the Huben, everything else seems to be lacking (and reloading the fixed mag is really no more difficult or slower than removable ones once you get the hang of it, especially with the aftermarket flip gate).

Reactions: john8
If my Huben K1 was just a little bit more accurate - and I don't mean by a lot, just enough to match my Daystate Air Ranger - I'd be good and done. That said, since I am after the accuracy, I'd probably try a Thomas set up. But after the ease and joy of the Huben, everything else seems to be lacking (and reloading the fixed mag is really no more difficult or slower than removable ones once you get the hang of it, especially with the aftermarket flip gate).
Aftermarket flip gate? Sounds interesting, can you provide a link?