Other what's your thoughts?

In keeping with the spirit of the post, I'll list mine by listing first the items that are LEAST important to me...

multishot
quiet

All airguns are quiet compared to traditionally used centerfires so that's just unneeded length to moderate a deer rifle in my opinion.
Multishot... I need one shot and a possible follow up. That's really it.

For me, I like something maneuverable and accurate within the given range I'll be likely to take a deer. My first two deer with an airgun was taken with a DAQ 50. Severely underpowered compared to todays offerings. This particular DAQ is a low serial number (56) that has been updated a bit by Dennis. Rather than the old style fill probe and the .490 bore that he used on his earlier guns, this one has a quick fill and the .495 bore. I did modify it slightly to put the power level right around 320fpe. I think stock it was closer to 280fpe.

The range that I like to hunt at, regardless of tool used, is under 75 yards. Ideally closer to 50 yards.
I happen to like the Texan Carbine for this. It's plenty accurate within that range and I dont feel like I'm carrying a broomstick around. It's loud and proud. I did modify an adapter to fit a moderator on it and have a DonnyFL for it, but just dont care for the added length for the minimal sound reduction that it offers. Even in carbine form, it still has plenty of power with a well placed shot.

Second to the Texan Carbine (mine is in .457), I like the old school DAQ's. Classy and fitting for a no frills hunting gun, even with their moderate power.

In keeping with the spirit of the post, I'll list mine by listing first the items that are LEAST important to me...

multishot
quiet

All airguns are quiet compared to traditionally used centerfires so that's just unneeded length to moderate a deer rifle in my opinion.
Multishot... I need one shot and a possible follow up. That's really it.

For me, I like something maneuverable and accurate within the given range I'll be likely to take a deer. My first two deer with an airgun was taken with a DAQ 50. Severely underpowered compared to todays offerings. This particular DAQ is a low serial number (56) that has been updated a bit by Dennis. Rather than the old style fill probe and the .490 bore that he used on his earlier guns, this one has a quick fill and the .495 bore. I did modify it slightly to put the power level right around 320fpe. I think stock it was closer to 280fpe.

The range that I like to hunt at, regardless of tool used, is under 75 yards. Ideally closer to 50 yards.
I happen to like the Texan Carbine for this. It's plenty accurate within that range and I dont feel like I'm carrying a broomstick around. It's loud and proud. I did modify an adapter to fit a moderator on it and have a DonnyFL for it, but just dont care for the added length for the minimal sound reduction that it offers. Even in carbine form, it still has plenty of power with a well placed shot.

Second to the Texan Carbine (mine is in .457), I like the old school DAQ's. Classy and fitting for a no frills hunting gun, even with their moderate power.
I agree with you on the DAQs as I have a 50 also that I bought from a fellow on GTA some years ago that he got from Dennis when he was still doing the Lottery. It's wearing a Anthony Story Moderator that helps tame the noise some.
20210310_133758.jpg

In no particular order, but they are all here:

• High pfe, without needing a heavy slug or having an overly arcing trajectory
• 910-980 FPS, fast enough to be in the sweet spot for less long range windage correction
• Consistent speed and low extreme spread for at least one magazine worth of shots
• Multi shot, magazine fed
• Long cycling probe, long magazine well for long slug capacity in the magazine
• Repeatable MOA accuracy out of the case
• Cold bore, first shot MOA accuracy at long ranges
• Durable, light and short enough for all day spot and stalk hunts afield
• Adjustable for comfortable and repeatable shouldering and eye placement
• Quality stainless steel barrel
• Appropriate barrel twist rate for the appropriate magazine fed ammo to produce good long range accuracy
• Not having to compromise any of the above listed qualities to gain accuracy (like having to shoot long, ultra heavy, or custom ammo in the single shot loading fashion to gain accuracy)

Are you getting a new AAA Slayer in 357 or 452? :cool:

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
whats your thoughts on the best deer rifle!!

i know everyone has thoughts on this so let me here it.. im going to be getting a gun and start making it into my idea of the ultimate deer hunting rifle.. I just won't to see how many people might have the same thoughts 🥸
Assuming an air gun?
Looking at most of the posts, air gun is noton too many folk’s mind.