What’s your setup for night hunting

Hey fellas here's my setup on my P15 22 Nite Site works great I'm using a Lite-R-Up 850 NM Illuminator I got from Tony Roman a couple of years ago it works great gives me alot more range over 100 yards. 
20200701_185837.1607867494.jpg
20200701_185824.1607867495.jpg

image6793.1608217386.jpg
The gun isn't that important. Whatever you like for daytime will work. My go to air rifle for day and night was up until recently a ghetto Nova Freedom 22. It's going to be a backup because the pump isn't 100% reliable any longer and needs to be rebuilt.

Like folks have said a red light will get you started. I started with a red light and it's great. I have been watching too much youtube lately and recently succumbed to the allure of digital night vision. Over the past few years quality has gone up and prices have come way way down.

The ATN 4k 3X14 I have is pretty good and I got a smoking deal on it somehow on ebay. (I was able to snipe an Optics Planet branded ATN 4k 3x14 "OPMOD" demo for $370...) For air gun ranges the IR light makes it very very bright through the viewer and clarity is great. The battery life is also amazing. I was playing with it and accidentally left it on overnight. Came back in the am and it was still going with quite a bit of charge left. 

You need a couple more items to make digital night hunting more comfortable.

1. a spotting device (not 100% required but scanning through the scope all night can be tiring). I have a cheap digital nv monocular and it's ok..... I'll probably pick up an AGM ASP 160 thermal as they are sub $500 bucks retail. I was with a guy that had one and it was the PERFECT spotting device. You could detect the heat source and then switch to the ATN for the shot. much easier on the eyes. 

2. airguns + night vision are heavy so a good shooting rest is a must. I have found that the older aluminum camera tripods with a pig saddle or other gun rest make a perfect gun rest. Seated and standing options and have a ton of stability. 

3. rubber boots, stocking cap, extra jacket (its muddy and cold out in the dark)

4. red colored headlamp for changing mags, recharging, reloading, & futzing around in the dark.

Reactions: JimNM
I Went with the ATN 4K 3x14 and never looked back. Sits on a 25 mrod. Got the 5x20 with ballistics laser for muh big bore to yeet hog, yotes, nutria, lol. One thing to note with IR is the wavelength. Mixing illuminators can have some odd effects on the scope. Hunting buddy was using an Amazon bought IR spot and had some wavy lines and focal disturbances that went away as soon as he turned it off. 

I Went with the ATN 4K 3x14 and never looked back. Sits on a 25 mrod. Got the 5x20 with ballistics laser for muh big bore to yeet hog, yotes, nutria, lol. One thing to note with IR is the wavelength. Mixing illuminators can have some odd effects on the scope. Hunting buddy was using an Amazon bought IR spot and had some wavy lines and focal disturbances that went away as soon as he turned it off.

I doubt if it was the difference in wavelength. The Amazon light was probably a pulse with modulated light. So it was flashing on and off at a frequency that was not compatible with the video. It's best to get non pwm lights.

I doubt if it was the difference in wavelength. The Amazon light was probably a pulse with modulated light. So it was flashing on and off at a frequency that was not compatible with the video. It's best to get non pwm lights.

Whats a "PWM" light?