What’s your setup for night hunting

Trouble lamp with red led bulb hung 5' above the bait station

aluminum foil wrapped around the light so I am not blinded

bait station is saucer size paper plates with peanut butter and chocolate chips microwave melted in to it

the white paper plate provides some contrast for the crosshairs

barbecue skewer driven through plate

Smart Home doorbell camera with motion detection set to send my phone an alert

I shoot from the breakfast bar so all the appliances in the house are blacked out, no lights whatsoever

low magnification on scope

I don't use the scopes illuminated reticle because there's enough light on the targets

Or get an ATN NV scope for $700

Buy one red varmint light and it’s game over. Nothing else to change on your daily shooter.
26E077F0-6566-4B23-BCE2-08CA73FC7874.1607719597.jpeg
524E519C-6F14-495A-9643-4D5518BCDFC6.1607719795.jpeg

If using green or red light just make sure to leave them on, all prey animals are more sensitive to motion so red light that moves with your rifle won’t work.

That is my experience as well. I used a remote controlled red LED spotlight mounted on a tripod. When an alarm goes off, I turn on the light. The light is programmed to ramp to full brightness over 30 secs. The animals don't seem to mind it at all since the light is stationary. The light is bright enough for humans to easily see it (if you look directly at it) on a sunny afternoon day at 30 yards. It brightness is programable up to 9 watts with a 6 degree beam spread.

If using green or red light just make sure to leave them on, all prey animals are more sensitive to motion so red light that moves with your rifle won’t work.

That is my experience as well. I used a remote controlled red LED spotlight mounted on a tripod. When an alarm goes off, I turn on the light. The light is programmed to ramp to full brightness over 30 secs. The animals don't seem to mind it at all since the light is stationary. The light is bright enough for humans to easily see it (if you look directly at it) on a sunny afternoon day at 30 yards. It brightness is programable up to 9 watts with a 6 degree beam spread.

I leave the red overhead light on all night cuz they definitely get startled by lights coming on. Sometimes startled works out OK for me but I'd rather not do it that way. I've seen motion in soft diffused porch light then hit them with 4000 lumen LED and one just stared for a little bit but it's unpredictable and you end up shooting a moving target.

Their hearing is ridiculously excellent so I am challenged to be quiet. Gotta know where all the furniture is and have all the clinky things put away.

I've been pretty fortunate. Some of then seem to "notice" the green light on my gun, but they either look at it and freeze, or ignore it. Others seem to not even notice it.

I sat outside a tunnel they created under my garage and would nail at least 4 per night. Took quite a few nights, but the adults stopped showing up, and got a few youngsters. Then no activity at all...filled the hole and issue done.

I also frequently use the light at night and spot a fewraccoons, opossum, etc. Could easily pick them off, but they haven't been a nuisance to date.

I love the idea of a flood light that they get acclimated to...just never did it and never had to.

I've been pretty fortunate. Some of then seem to "notice" the green light on my gun, but they either look at it and freeze, or ignore it. Others seem to not even notice it.

I sat outside a tunnel they created under my garage and would nail at least 4 per night. Took quite a few nights, but the adults stopped showing up, and got a few youngsters. Then no activity at all...filled the hole and issue done.

I also frequently use the light at night and spot a fewraccoons, opossum, etc. Could easily pick them off, but they haven't been a nuisance to date.

I love the idea of a flood light that they get acclimated to...just never did it and never had to.

Cool shooting and the nuisance is gone, congratulations. I LIKE the idea of having a flashlight on the gun but these rats are few and far between and I rely on the camera, guess I could dispense with constant light since the cam has infrared live stream? Hoping for another tonight.

Here's last nights victim, only 13 seconds and no stupid music:

https://youtu.be/Vz2HboQ-tU8

Cool shooting and the nuisance is gone, congratulations. I LIKE the idea of having a flashlight on the gun but these rats are few and far between and I rely on the camera, guess I could dispense with constant light since the cam has infrared live stream? Hoping for another tonight.

Here's last nights victim, only 13 seconds and no stupid music:

https://youtu.be/Vz2HboQ-tU8

Love the camera clarity. Fun to watch them get smacked away like that!

Keep up the good work!