• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's your magazine type preference and why?

Why is a single shot tray more accurate than a magazine? Not even sure why mag preference is a question. I like the one that works in my rifle. Does anybody not buy a rifle based on mag type?? I have used only single poop, Oppps, I mean shot, and rotary mag. I have 11 mags for my rifle, and when tethered to my tank, I can rip thru 110 shots, then have a snack or watch a game while I reload. Love The Mag !!!

I didn't buy an HM1000 back when Martin was building them because of the magazine. 

Personally, I feel that a cheap plastic spring loaded mag like an MRod uses in a $1700+ gun is a slap in the face. And then charging $75+ for said magazine is another.

Let's not get started on the FX stuff ...

When I was a young man I preferred Playboy while self indexing "my barrel" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Oh c'mon, SOMEONE had to be thinking along those lines or am I REALLY that demented?

Well, then, Gerry you were classified as a rich guy back then cause I used the old poor man’s playboy in the Victoria secret catalogs, lol.

Thought I was in heaven with those after advancing from the underwear section in the Sears catalogs!

As far as pcp “mags” go-

I prefer the skill saw blade tooth type rotary mags vs the spring loaded carousel mags for sure, so long as the rotary mags are wide enough to at least accept polymags w/o needing to clip the plastic tips on the polymags down. Also, rotary mags are great if the gun has a built in mag holder for them. The one downside I see with rotary manually indexed mags are the inner o rings within the mags to cause an interference fit on the Ammo. Those in time need replacing especially if you lube your pellets and the lube is not o ring friendly. Some of these mags the o rings are easy enough to change while others like the wildcat mags are not easy at all.

I have come to like the carousel spring loaded mags, especially the FX high capacity ones. So glad the aftermarket has been friendly in making fx style high capacity mags that improve over the factory models, along with the speed loaders that compliment these mag systems. 
The one negative I have witnessed in some testing with Ammo, barrel liners, accuracy tests is that when using these high capacity mags in the heavier 30 cal pellets, when the mag is 2/3 empty the last few remaining pellets have had a tendency to jam, or not cycle properly. The pellet next in line hangs up and I have to tap on the mag to jossle the pellet loose and then the spring tension now pushes the pellet onward. This has since been fixed with the Orion insert along with adding his high capacity version of these mags.

ive been fortunate to also recently try new 3D printed mags by Elis5173. Nice design, unique in its own, and just like Orion’s mags and center inserts the Elis version is just as smooth with no hang ups.

Real quick, so far the best rotary mag that’s manually indexed that I own are the ones on my Hatsan Hercules Bully. Never ever a hang up, and in 30 cal they easily hold predator polymags. Gun manufacturers that design new pcp’s moving forward should take a lesson in hatsan’s design with manually indexed mags, and incorporate an anti double load feature. I can re cock my bully 25 times after a pellets been pushed into the barrel and it will never load another behind it until that pellets been shot out. I don’t understand why more manufacturers don’t incorporate that feature.

Reactions: MrP
Don't have a preference as long as it's a well made magazine that works and works. The advantage to me from the self indexing is that I would only load 9 pellets in a 10 round mag. Then decock the bolt through an empty 10th hole into the breach. Akin to only loading five in old West Colt revolvers. I did this before going afield. Then when I spotted that first pest? Simply rack and shoot. My rotary mags don't allow this method.

Don't have a preference as long as it's a well made magazine that works and works. The advantage to me from the self indexing is that I would only load 9 pellets in a 10 round mag. Then decock the bolt through an empty 10th hole into the breach. Akin to only loading five in old West Colt revolvers. I did this before going afield. Then when I spotted that first pest? Simply rack and shoot. My rotary mags don't allow this method.

Yes, great point as that’s a big advantage of self indexing mags I failed to add on my post.

My favorite mags from experience are the Taipan and Weihrauch. They are both simple cylinders, with no springs or other parts. They are mechanically advanced, and, in effect are rotating single shot trays.

Agree. They are super easy to load, and paired with the anti-double feed mechanism in the gun they work reliably every time even when you forget if you loaded a pellet or not.

My favorite mags from experience are the Taipan and Weihrauch. They are both simple cylinders, with no springs or other parts. They are mechanically advanced, and, in effect are rotating single shot trays.

Agree. They are super easy to load, and paired with the anti-double feed mechanism in the gun they work reliably every time even when you forget if you loaded a pellet or not.

The anti double feed mechanism can fail. It does on mine. Usually it does work, but not always. The magasine itself, index just fine, so it is not a big problem, and I agree it is easy to load. Holds 10 rounds which is just fine.

The anti double feed mechanism can fail. It does on mine. Usually it does work, but not always. The magasine itself, index just fine, so it is not a big problem, and I agree it is easy to load. Holds 10 rounds which is just fine.

I've never had a failure on either the HW100 or Veteran magazine. The Taipan is a true anti-double load, as you can decock with a pellet in the chamber, then recock, and it won't feed another pellet. The Weihrauch won't double feed while cocked, but if decocked, then it's "fired", and the mag will index with the next lever pull. But, an easy work around for a hunting situation, just don't slide the button forward to engage the indexing gear. You can then decock and recock as many times as needed (squirrel moves, so you relocate). When you shoot, just pull the lever open and advance the mag with your finger, easy. 

In principle I prefer the simple rotary magazines over the spring loaded ones,...However,

In the spring loaded system the magazine does all the work with the cocking action being very simple and straight forward so really any failure will be in the replaceable magazines.

The rotary version needs the action to index them, making the action a bit more complicated and if something goes wrong will be in the gun.

In principle I prefer the simple rotary magazines over the spring loaded ones,...However,

In the spring loaded system the magazine does all the work with the cocking action being very simple and straight forward so really any failure will be in the replaceable magazines.

The rotary version needs the action to index them, making the action a bit more complicated and if something goes wrong will be in the gun.

True, it's a trade off in the design issues. While I've had no problem with either the Taipan or Weihrauch, I've read of a few instances of the Taipan giving trouble. In typical German fashion, the Weihrauch design uses a heavy duty gear to advance the mag. I haven't had it apart, but I assume there is something like a ratchet and pawl assembly that moves it. With the spring-loaded mag, repairs or replacements are easier, but I've had issues with precision loading from the mag, and most of my rifles using that system shoot better when using a single shot tray. But that doesn't have to be the case, as my Royale 400 shoots perfectly with the mag, no loss of accuracy at all.

True, it's a trade off in the design issues. While I've had no problem with either the Taipan or Weihrauch, I've read of a few instances of the Taipan giving trouble. In typical German fashion, the Weihrauch design uses a heavy duty gear to advance the mag. I haven't had it apart, but I assume there is something like a ratchet and pawl assembly that moves it. With the spring-loaded mag, repairs or replacements are easier, but I've had issues with precision loading from the mag, and most of my rifles using that system shoot better when using a single shot tray. But that doesn't have to be the case, as my Royale 400 shoots perfectly with the mag, no loss of accuracy at all.

Indeed, there's spring loaded mag and there's spring loaded mag,..manufacturer and type make a huge difference,

there's guns I would never buy just because of the type mag they use.

I like the magazines that rotate the best that dont use a spring to rotate. Something that I haven't read that I am sure applies to others.
I have arthritis in my right wrist thumb joint. Some days I wouldn't be able to load a .177 rifle between the scope and the small access to the bore. So a magazine is a must. I would prefer to shoot FT single shot but can't really. I sold a nice AA s410 single shot that I didnt shoot because of loading issues.

I didn't buy an HM1000 back when Martin was building them because of the magazine.

Personally, I feel that a cheap plastic spring loaded mag like an MRod uses in a $1700+ gun is a slap in the face. And then charging $75+ for said magazine is another.

Let's not get started on the FX stuff ...
This is an experience I had with my aea. Granted it’s cheap to start out with. The gun is solid, feels like more than a “toy” until you start messing with the magazine and it feels like something from toys r us (rip) like a bug buster or something.

As long as the magazines are toy like the whole thing feels a little bit like a toy. maybe it is planned obsolescence to make money selling more magazines. No point investing lots of time into a perfect magazine if what you have works well enough for a while and you can sell more.

Last edited:
Reactions: thumper
The "old style" Daystate magazines feel solid but still expensive at $99 a piece. For less money you can get a Rowan Single Shot Tray. Works very well in Daystates.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_