What's your magazine type preference and why?

Thought this might be an interesting topic of conversation for the night. I'm curious which brands you think have the best magazine and why. Obviously most will fall into the rotary or the self indexing. Let me know you preferences and why.

For me - my overall preference for airguns and pellets is the rotary magazine. I have several airguns that function off this model - Leshiy 2, Cricket 2 Tactical, Ataman AP16 pistol, Cricket Mini Carbine, Brocock S6 pistol, Evanix AR6 pistol. For me the rotary magazine has major benefits shooting pellets:

• It's very easy to load. Simply hold over the tin and dump pellets into the slots. 
  • There is no deformation to the pellets as each pellet is held in its own slot with a gentle o-ring.

The downside for rotary magazines is that they are horrible for slugs. No way to really hold them in place - except for the Leshiy 2 due to design.

Self-indexing magazines are generally pretty much the same thing across many brands in many varieties. The biggest issue with them, for me, is pellet skirt deformation. A perfect example is my AGT Uragan Compact .177. The last 3-4 pellets in every 15 round magazine shoot much worse than the first 11-12. Being the first loaded and the last shot I feel they incur extra pressure and stresses that the first rounds shot do not. Now if you are shooting slugs then self indexing magazines and the cats meow - I think the AGT magazines are very good quality there. Also the new Daystate flip opens, the AAA Evol magazines. Not a big fan of the FX mags - but being a lefty shooter gives me a bias.

What's your take on this? What's your favorite self-indexing mag?

Hm, I'm not a good candidate to answer this as all 8 of my airguns are either single shot or have single shot trays in them 😅

That said, I do like the self indexing for the simplicity. I know some guns experience issues and failure with indexing pawls. And I have declined to obtain guns for this specific issue. I actually have an older variant of one that is simply single shot.

Curious what the specific cause of your last 3 .177 rounds getting deformed would be, maybe inadequate spring tension causing misalignment in the mag?

I've had issues with side shot fx mags binding, but nothing a little fiddling didn't fix. I have hatsan mags that are basically fx knock offs (work in my crown) and some pp800 mags. No real issues to speak of, though I've heard others complain. 

@Long_Gun_Dallas - I think it might be due to too much spring tension, actually. The skirts of the .177s are a bit fragile and I think once the spring is wound to full tension those last few shots take a beating on the rear of the skirt. Keep in mind that I still feel my UC in .177 is the most accurate .177 I've owned except for a Daystate RedWolf I had for a few months. Those last shot turn hole on hole at 15 yards into a slightly ragged hole - so the complaint is really picky. I don't see this in the .22 mags or higher with AGT.

@Long_Gun_Dallas - I think it might be due to too much spring tension, actually. The skirts of the .177s are a bit fragile and I think once the spring is wound to full tension those last few shots take a beating on the rear of the skirt. Keep in mind that I still feel my UC in .177 is the most accurate .177 I've owned except for a Daystate RedWolf I had for a few months. Those last shot turn hole on hole at 15 yards into a slightly ragged hole - so the complaint is really picky. I don't see this in the .22 mags or higher with AGT.

Hm, I would think the first shots would be under the most tension... I've been wrong plenty of times, lol. 

I’m a rotary magazine guy. Not just for the ease of loading, and the lack of deforming the pellets, but I can leave a bunch loaded and ready to go without worrying about spring tension lessening over time. This makes for a quick grab and go gun when your nest cam pics up a visitor in your back yard trying to get in your chicken coop at 3am. 
what makes it even better is the anti double load feature I have recently come to love out of guns like the taipan. I can happily leave a magazine in the breech. Decock it for extra safety, and it’ll be ready to grab and cock when needed. No fumbling with mags in the dark!

FX high cap mags coupled with the Stud loader. I like the stud loader because you can inspect all the pellet skirts very rapidly then it loads the FX mags even faster. The FX mags work flawlessly, are easy to insert and remove. I like Cricket mags but HATE loading them into the gun. The RTI mags are very well made and work well. Probably the easiest ones to load and unload too. No levers or pins, just slide I and slide out.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
I personally like magasines which holds at least 10 shots, as I like to shoot 5 shot groups. The only thing which anoys me a litle on my wildcat mk2, is the 8 shot rotary mags. The mags, and indexing work very nice, but I have to reload after 3 shots on my seccond target, or do 4 shots instead. So if I buy a gun, I prefer it holds at least 10 shots in the mag. If it meet that "requirment" it is not that important to me if it is self indexing, or not. 

I agree rotary mags are easy to load and has less potential issues (as long as the indexing mechanism on the gun is reliable). But the benefit of self indexing mags, is that you often can get more shots in them, as the pellets are stacked closer to each other. They are also not locked, to the same ammount with differrent calibers. Like if a gun is made for .25 cal, and has 8 shots, you usually do not get more shots in a .177 version of the same gun. 

Why is a single shot tray more accurate than a magazine? Not even sure why mag preference is a question. I like the one that works in my rifle. Does anybody not buy a rifle based on mag type?? I have used only single poop, Oppps, I mean shot, and rotary mag. I have 11 mags for my rifle, and when tethered to my tank, I can rip thru 110 shots, then have a snack or watch a game while I reload. Love The Mag !!!