• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's your last airgun kill?

hadda

Jan 11, 2017
Got a funny story on mine:

There's like an army of possums that lives in my suburban neighborhood. The sun was out of the night's sky and we were about to have guests over when one of the said soldiers attacked my garbage can! I grabbed the Model 48 and put a Superpoint in, and shot it in the body. Not my best shot and had to put another one in it but it died literally underneath my fence in a hole lol. 

Fast forward an hour and a half, with the dinner party guests over. Another one comes and I repeated the same exact process, but without recovery. I don't think it survived though :D 

This was a few months ago, how have y'all's hunts been goin?

Topcat, I had a squirrel problem last year. I had my old Gamo back then as well in .177 (before they started with that ultra-light crappy synthetic stock garbage :p). Popped about 5 of them...4 head shots and 1 bad shot, so had to shoot it twice more. 

I agree that headshots are the way to go! However, the very first possum I killed with the RWS 48 was a behind-the-shoulder shot and she died on the spot. 

My latest kill is usually posted here, but here's a list I maintain, with the newest at the bottom of the list in the first post.

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=116449.0

Pointed pellets out of a Diana 48 is probably a bad decision, unless it's within about 10 yards on a big target. They just don't do well at high velocities, in my experience. But they DO give good penetration, if you can hit the target. Opossums are on the big side, so I can see why you wanted the penetration.

I drilled 3 'possums in my back yard last year. The first one with my .177 Compatto. Full power, 19 FPE. I had the wrong pellets in it though, Crow Magnums. Got him while he was walking quartering toward me behind the shoulder. I heard the pellet hit with a WHOCK. He turned around and fled a LOT faster than he came. I found him jammed under the fence, passed out and with labored breathing. I think he would have died within a half hour from a punctured lung, but I gave him a couple more in the head. The first one didn't turn his lights out; must've bounced off a hard angular part. Threw him in the back corner of the yard, where the bugs ate him up over the next week or so.

The second one, I had the right ammo, Air Arms Heavies in the Compatto, and a good shot through the neck at 15 yards. He went down and bled out. That one, I cleaned and cooked up. Woo, do they stink! Not knowing about their scent glands (thought they were just more fat) I left them in and put him on the grill. Smelled terrible the whole time, but the taste was good! It's only a matter of whether a person has the stomach to prepare and eat them.

The third one was a head shot and he went down right away, kind of slow dancing and pooping. I put him out to rot too. Can't have them and the raccoons eating all the bird feed and crapping in my lawn.

Last few kills were squirrels. I've got a nice group of native birds since I started dropping the hammer on them.