Whats your go to/tried and true pcp?

"Marksman3006"Lots of great info here guys. Thanks. Zebra I will have to give the mutant shorty a look. It would definitely be different and woukdnt tread on my wolverines role in the slightest. Sam63......that cricket rifle is probably the one rifle that I really really want to shoot. Ive known about them for awhile....but nobody ever talks about em.
To all the Airwolf owners......I know for a fact those are awesome rifles with multiple power settings. I owned a pulsar in .22 and it was the quietest rifle I have ever heard....on high power too.
Zebra......what is your personal favorite. The one you have the most confidence in.
It's a hard one for me to answer because, in all honesty, I could probably do equally well with any high quality and well tuned air rifle, once I have taken the time to learn how to use it. 

If someone said "pick any of your guns and I'll give you $1000 if you can hit this target", I would reach for my Cricket. My Shorty is just as accurate (maybe slightly more accurate) but I have more trigger time with the Cricket and the 25 cal pellet does better in the wind. The weight of the Cricket and the stock design makes it easier to shoot too.

If I was choosing a 22 cal, I would go with a Mutant over a Cricket and then pony up for a custom stock to replace the garbage it comes in. The Mutant has a number of features that increase that dependability. Specifically, they have additional screws to lock down all the things that could move and throw off your zero. It's less delicate and better made than the Cricket overall. 

E.g. To move the shroud on the Mutant, or adjust the hst, you have to losen the screws that lock them down so they never move unless you want them to.. It's smart and I like smart. 

On a day to day basis, I use the Mutant the most. I find it to be the most enjoyable and relaxing to use. Even now, I am still amazed at how they made a gun with such a short barrel and air cylinder so quiet, accurate and efficient. The air cylinder is tiny and I still get 48 shots per fill. That's more than some supposedely high end guns get with double the air.

When I broke a part on my Mutant, I was told by the store that it's the first time it has ever happened for any of the Mutants they have sold. When I needed a replacement Cricket part, it was a common issue. You'll find threads on common issues with most air guns but not the Mutant.

So how do you choose?

The answer (luckily for us) is that you don't. You buy multiple guns and keep on buying more until your wife is signing you up for that tv show "Hoarders". 

If I was only allowed one gun, I would buy a Mutant standard. If I was allowed only two, I would buy the Cricket 25 and Mutant Shorty that I have now. I could live without my other 6 PCP rifles. 

IlThanks zebra. Im going to research the mutant shorty tonight in .177. As well as the cricket. To be honest.....I really dont care how well finished the stock etc are. I care about accuracy, quiet, and robust build with no poi shifting, no leaking. Im still in the research stage....I like this stage. I have the money right now. But I really enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and research. I never get in a hurry when researching a gun purchase.
This is why I wanted to ask everyone what theyre baby was, what they had the most confidence in. I couldnt care less about having the latest and greatest.....give me time tested and proven. I am fully capable of tinkering with my guns......but I much prefer to just shoot.....alot.....all the time.

@mubhaur My Royale 400 is stock except for a Huggett. It's got the same barrel it originally came with. It's great. 

@Marksman3006 - I also have great results with my Independence. I don't shoot it very often because of the low shot count between fills. I recall being very impressed with it out to 75yds. Royale vs. Independence? It depends on what you want, a pumper or a bottle. The Independence is, understandably, a little heavier too. 
Tom

"Marksman3006"IlThanks zebra. Im going to research the mutant shorty tonight in .177. As well as the cricket. To be honest.....I really dont care how well finished the stock etc are. I care about accuracy, quiet, and robust build with no poi shifting, no leaking. Im still in the research stage....I like this stage. I have the money right now. But I really enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and research. I never get in a hurry when researching a gun purchase.
This is why I wanted to ask everyone what theyre baby was, what they had the most confidence in. I couldnt care less about having the latest and greatest.....give me time tested and proven. I am fully capable of tinkering with my guns......but I much prefer to just shoot.....alot.....all the time.
I'm not talking about the quality of the finishing. I'm talking about the quality of the inletting and general robustness. These are things that play a part in accuracy.

There is a good powder burner blog I like to read where each year he gives you the lowdown on what the top 50 long range target shooters in America are using. There is a section on each component e.g. One on barrels, one on actions, one of stocks etc. One thing you notice straight away is that none of the top 50 are using the factory wood or plastic stocks because it directly effects their ability to shoot well. They all use high end hand made composite stocks or aluminum chassis systems.

For the best accuracy, you want a stock that is rigid, has inletting that fits precisely, has nothing to stress the action (which it can even in free float rifles), has proper balance and comfort for the shooter.

A flimsy flexible stock will cause poi shifts and make the gun extra hold sensative. I've done a lot of testing on this lately....

The Cricket synthetic stock is actually quite good. It's as rigid as plastic gets and very stable. It could use some aluminum pillars but you can add those yourself. The Cricket and Mutant wood stocks are not as good as they should be imo. The inletting on the Mutant stock needs work. 

Don't get me wrong, the Mutant is accurate as it comes. It's just that I have seen a meaningful improvement when I switched out the stock for a rigid carbon fiber version with glassbedding and aluminum pillars. It certainly made it easier to shoot as I frequently forget to relax when taking hunting shots so I grip too hard...

The appearance is a different issue. I haven't seen nice wood on a factory Cricket, Mutant, Vulcan or Wildcat. To get that you need a custom job. The price of a Mutant plus a very nice custom Walnut stock is still competitive with the other PCP bullpups though. The Michal Osyda ones were around $300 (depending on the style and wood choice). 

Btw, I don't think the Mutant is available in 177. I saw a 177 Mutant for sale in the classifieds a while ago but they had converted themselves or sent it to Ernest. Ernest posted pics of a 30 cal Mutant Shorty he did for someone so I am sure he could do a 177 for you.

I am not even sure if the 177 Cricket is still available. They used to sell a 177 Shorty Cricket that was very nice. You can probably find one used. 

Personally, I would leave the Mutant Shorty as a 22. It's so quiet and accurate that there would be no benefit to making it 177 unless you planned to enter FT or BR matches (in which case you would want a different gun anyway). With the HST adjuster, you can take the power down pretty close to 177 levels with no further mods if you like. 

"zebra"
"Marksman3006"IlThanks zebra. Im going to research the mutant shorty tonight in .177. As well as the cricket. To be honest.....I really dont care how well finished the stock etc are. I care about accuracy, quiet, and robust build with no poi shifting, no leaking. Im still in the research stage....I like this stage. I have the money right now. But I really enjoy the pursuit of knowledge and research. I never get in a hurry when researching a gun purchase.
I'm not talking about the quality of the finishing. I'm talking about the quality of the inletting and general robustness. These are things that play a part in accuracy.

There is a good powder burner blog I like to read where each year he gives you the lowdown on what the top 50 long range target shooters in America are using. There is a section on each component e.g. One on barrels, one on actions, one of stocks etc. One thing you notice straight away is that none of the top 50 are using the factory wood or plastic stocks because it directly effects their ability to shoot well. They all use high end hand made composite stocks or aluminum chassis systems.

For the best accuracy, you want a stock that is rigid, has inletting that fits precisely, has nothing to stress the action (which it can even in free float rifles), has proper balance and comfort for the shooter.

A flimsy flexible stock will cause poi shifts and make the gun extra hold sensative. I've done a lot of testing on this lately....

Just had this conversation with my brother yesterday who did a "aluminum bedding" on his powder burner. He also talked about having a custom grip so the trigger pull is the same every time. He believes a custom stock even for pcp's would improve the harmonics and therefore the accuracy.
NM

My go to gun is a custom barreled HW100 built by Alan Zasadny. It has a stainless barrel in 177 that is machined to fit MY HW action. He also tuned it and made a moderator that makes it super quiet. I've killed many a rat in a very crowded , urban environment. 

It wears a Leupold 6.5 to 20x EFR with a TMR reticle installed. Great set up, 1/2 in groups at 50 are expected with the occasional 3/8. 

If you can do it, I highly recommend ALAN ZASADNY, 319-334-7216. I can't say enough good about his work or his character. Just after sending him my gun, I had a serious health issue. He was patient and worked with me in paying my bill for the work he had already done. Good man, GREAT work.

Jamie

Mine has to be the pcp I have owned the longest. My S510 carbine and thats why I still own it. I have had it a couple years and its been flawless. My second would be my R10 MK2 but I have not had it long enough to say its tried and true but it has been spot on so far for about 7 months. I just bought a BSA Scorpion that will probably have to be added after I have it for a couple years as its been extremely accurate with no issues. So in a couple years we will see how the R10 MK2 and the scorpion pan out but I dont think I will have any complaints.