What's your favorite squirrel shot?

Head shots. I dont walk and stalk thru the woods tho without a bipod or tripod and a range finder. I setup every shot and can take the time to range and use the bipod or tripod. Tree squirrels in my state dont run and hide at the site of humans. In MT there is no small game season and the majority of people are not interested in hunting and eating squirrels so they dont have any fear. Makes setting up shots easy once you find a squirrel.

Reactions: Spartan
I prefer head shots myself, but has been said, sometimes you have to take the shot that's given. In my experience, if headshot, not nearly as messy when dressing out a squirrel, and imho less blood/trauma in the body cavity improves the taste.

Definitely agree on that. Much cleaner skinning and quartering when it is headshots.

Reactions: SteveV
This is by far my favorite shot in the pic below. Squirrel vertical on the face of the tree. It's all upside for me.

1. Provides the biggest kill zone.
  2. Most forgiving in the vertical if my range estimate is off if woods walking. Just aim for between the shoulders. Could be 10 yds or 50 yds, pellet is in the kill zone.
  3. Instant anchor due to spine damage.
  4. Not possible for the pellet to damage the hind legs or backstrap meat.
  5. Tree provides guaranteed back stop.
  6. Anchored. Every time.

What's yours? I know a lot of people like the head-on shots.

View attachment 443966
Dome

I definitely prefer to take headshots. I find the easiest for me are from a side profile, less chance of the projectile entering the body. If a head shot seems improbable I will take a chest shot, preferably just behind the shoulders so that it gets the heart and lungs for an instant kill just like a brain shot. If the pellet (or bullet or slug) goes a bit high it will shatter the spine, again an instant kill although a little messier. Like stated already, head shots make for much easier cleaning, no bloodshot meat and no chance of gut fluid leakage in the meat.

In my youth living in this area, there was primarily nothing but big red squirrels. Easy to stalk and once you found one they were
very obliging and would freeze on a branch or trunk and allow you time to take that head\spine shot.
Great fun!!
Fast forward 45 years, when I returned to retire here, I found the reds had been all but replaced by the eastern greys.

Now these are little crack head demons, that do not sit still. They pause,,,,,,,just long enough for you to think you can line up on
their little craniums. Then off to the races again.

That being said, I will take whatever kill shot I can get on the little buggers.

good hunting
Doc