What's your fascination with airguns and why airguns?

What's your fascination of airguns and why airguns? Does it have something to do with our childhood and things that we were not allowed to have or could not afford? I asked this questions years ago on the Yellow Forum and yet it still give me something to think about. Is it only a "male thing" and does it always have anything to do with hunting or taking the life of a thing, pesky or otherwise? Whether CO2, spring piston, pneumatic (single or multi-stroke) pcp or gas-ram, what's the fascination with airguns is my honest question?

I look back on the money that I've spent on my hobby/obsession and I'm like, wow I can't count the times when only one is a temporary cure to my hobby/addiction. It's not always about the thrill of the kill of a pesky varmint but just a little down time behind the trigger and brain rest after having to deal with so much during the coarse of a day. Regardless of whether or not you started with a Daisy/Crosman, CO2, springer or sling- shot, how did you manage to get where you are and in some cases, it's out of control. That sounds like, yours truly because I've said many times that only one more is a temporary fix and I know better. When is something new or different better than what you've already accumulated throughout the years of your adventures in airguns? Ole school is something that we should forget because there's always something to learn from if you're willing to listen. Every now and then, I'll pick up a springer just to see how it feels to shoot and experience what a real airgun is about. I've owned and shot quite a few very nice springers but pcps makes things less complicated as I've began to "ripen" or age. With that process, springers/gas rams seem to take its toll on this old frame so I took a deeper diver into the "dark side" and that has brought up another problem. One has to have a reliable source in order to charge their puffer and that can run into a stock pile of Benjamins that we can spend somewhere else but "why airguns"?

As of March 25, 2020, I've been out of work because of surgery of my "Parotid gland" and I'm in the process of retiring as of June 1st which is just a few days away. There's so much that I would love to learn about my addiction of airguns and what makes them work, all that I want is gather is a greater appreciation of what I've grown to love and respect as a hobby.

This is the place to do just that and I appreciate your experiences, trials and eras in what's drawn us together as airgun enthusiast/hobbyist.

Simplyhooked, aka...Fleming

+1 On the Script font, not easy to read at all. 

Even though I did have a BB gun when I was 12-15, and maybe another between 20-25, that was not a hobby that took a hold on me like others that come here with all those nostalgic stories of their youth. 

I started late in life (46?) because I needed to get rid of pests and got a Multi Pump BB gun. Things escalated from there and I wanted something that would serve me fir a long time and had great accuracy. So I bought a Gamo under lever that turned out to be a turd. But....

It was too late, I got hooked, I came to AGN via AEAC that I had discovered after hours of searching for the perfect airgun. 

As for why? Because it’s illegal to shoot my .22 LR in my backyard just to kill mice and squirrels. 

I wear reading glasses to see anything on my computer screen or up close for that matter and had no problem reading his post.

As for his post, I needed to remove a racoon wandering the yard during the day and living in town, couldn't use the Savage 64F .22LR my father owns and bought my first rifle, a Hatsan Model 95 .25 cal which took care of the problem and got me hooked. That was 5 years and a lot of guns ago and I now own at least one of everything: PCP, break barrels low to high end, a CO2 pistol and a 73 Silver Streak.

My fascination started about 5 years ago when one couldn't buy a .22 shell anywhere. I live in the country and we had an explosion in the ground squirrel population. I shot every .22 shell I had and couldn't get anymore but noticed there were plenty of pellets to buy. I happened to notice an AoA add on another website I frequent and wondered what that was all about. That led me to Youtube and like others here, found this guy shooting pests at amazing distances, with a pellet rifle (Ted). I was hooked at that point, bought my first springer and haven't shot the .22 rimfire since. Thousands of ground squirrels have died since then and my obsession continues to grow. I have a new Taipan coming next week which will add to my collection, which is an AA S510, HW97K and Diana 470TH.

Oh, as a kid I had a Daisy pump gun that was death on anything that moved in the woods! So I guess this obsession has been latent for many years but has come back with a vengence!

What's your fascination of airguns and why airguns? Does it have something to do with our childhood and things that we were not allowed to have or could not afford? I asked this questions years ago on the Yellow Forum and yet it still give me something to think about. Is it only a "male thing" and does it always have anything to do with hunting or taking the life of a thing, pesky or otherwise? Whether CO2, spring piston, pneumatic (single or multi-stroke) pcp or gas-ram, what's the fascination with airguns is my honest question?

I look back on the money that I've spent on my hobby/obsession and I'm like, wow I can't count the times when only one is a temporary cure to my hobby/addiction. It's not always about the thrill of the kill of a pesky varmint but just a little down time behind the trigger and brain rest after having to deal with so much during the coarse of a day. Regardless of whether or not you started with a Daisy/Crosman, CO2, springer or sling- shot, how did you manage to get where you are and in some cases, it's out of control. That sounds like, yours truly because I've said many times that only one more is a temporary fix and I know better. When is something new or different better than what you've already accumulated throughout the years of your adventures in airguns? Ole school is something that we should forget because there's always something to learn from if you're willing to listen. Every now and then, I'll pick up a springer just to see how it feels to shoot and experience what a real airgun is about. I've owned and shot quite a few very nice springers but pcps makes things less complicated as I've began to "ripen" or age. With that process, springers/gas rams seem to take its toll on this old frame so I took a deeper diver into the "dark side" and that has brought up another problem. One has to have a reliable source in order to charge their puffer and that can run into a stock pile of Benjamins that we can spend somewhere else but "why airguns"?

As of March 25, 2020, I've been out of work because of surgery of my "Parotid gland" and I'm in the process of retiring as of June 1st which is just a few days away. There's so much that I would love to learn about my addiction of airguns and what makes them work, all that I want is gather is a greater appreciation of what I've grown to love and respect as a hobby.

This is the place to do just that and I appreciate your experiences, trials and eras in what's drawn us together as airgun enthusiast/hobbyist.

Simplyhooked, aka...Fleming

What is most fascinating about Airguns is posts that use non-legible script.

Here is a copy and paste for those untrained eyes. 🤪

Simplyhooked, aka…Fleming

Airguns were what started my passion for guns and shooting in my youth so they represent many fond memories. 

I got completely out of AG's for a decade or so in my late teens and didn't have another until my late 20's. I bought a few and sold them because something was missing, they weren't powerful enough.

Once I discovered PCP's in my mid 30's that ignited the fire and my need was met. Accurate, powerful, no pumping, no weird springy shot impulse. I discovered that competing in FT honed my rifle fundamentals and sensitivity to wind which translated over into tactical 22rf and centerfire match shooting, I had a window in my late 40's when I was AZ's top steel shooter for a couple years in both types of rifle disciplines and I can thank airguns for that.

Convenience. I can shoot anytime I want right out in my backyard and still be available to my family. Married, 8 kids, single income, older home (1930) and 2 acres leaves very little “free time” so anything I can do at home is preferred. If I didn’t have the convenience of shooting at home I would shoot very little. If I had to travel to shoot even air rifles, I would shoot my powder guns instead and I would have probably never ventured into air power at least not as serious as I am into it now. Now I probably couldn’t pull myself away from air power I enjoy it so much. It can be a money pit but it sure is fun!

Here is a copy and paste for those untrained eyes.
1f92a.svg

Simplyhooked, aka…Fleming

Haha...well my iPhone 5 prevents my eyes more than the script. But just for fun we should just start using it for some aesthetics in your forum :)

My fascination started with my grandpa's ancient daisy buck and many an hour spent mastering it. I sent probably twenty big containers of bb's through that airgun and then I got a daisy grizzly and my older brother would go into the local store and buy me a box of pellets in the cartons on my birthday and Christmas and I would shoot through them before the next Christmas. I spent every moment I could behind the trigger shooting targets mainly. My favorite is my 2240 I have had ever since I broke my hand years ago I had can friend setup a plethora of spinners and I shot out to distances a 2240 was never designed for and would routinely hit 10 in a row one handed from what I later learned was 20 yards

I have enlarged the size for those offended by their old eyes.

I have absolutely no trouble reading the gentleman's script. It strikes me as easy on the eyes. I don't understand what makes anyone feel like they have a right to force another user to post in one script or another. Probably just me though ... I go commando so ... no panties to bunch. It is a joke, just a joke. 😉

Why did I get into Airguns? I like to shoot. They can be accurate. I can shoot them in my yard and don't have issues with neighbors. They are sufficiently deadly to be used as a hunting tool as well as a training tool.

Convenience. I can shoot anytime I want right out in my backyard and still be available to my family. Married, 8 kids, single income, older home (1930) and 2 acres leaves very little “free time” so anything I can do at home is preferred. If I didn’t have the convenience of shooting at home I would shoot very little. If I had to travel to shoot even air rifles, I would shoot my powder guns instead and I would have probably never ventured into air power at least not as serious as I am into it now. Now I probably couldn’t pull myself away from air power I enjoy it so much. It can be a money pit but it sure is fun!

Your post is nearly exactly spot on to my current life, if you remove 4 kids. 2 acres as well in a rural area. I used shoot powder burners out here but my range was replaced with a home for my wife's grandmother. My neighbors are few and far between but 4 hours of rattling an M4 or an SKS and eventually it can irk foks. I like inexpensive pellets, a good LDC, and no need for hearing protection. I was hunting a bolt action 22 short and my .22 PCP fills the niche perfectly.

Sounds like you and I are living very similar lives and enjoy this hobby for very similar reasons.

Absolutely. The best part of it all is my two older daughters who are 12 and 14 have their very own PCP shared rifle between them and mine as well. My father comes out and we have a nice family gathering while my younger ones enjoy family and the older ones enjoy plinking. It's nice to be able to pass a skill on to your children so I smile ear to ear everytime my daughters out shoot me. It warms the heart too when they look over, grinning, and boast. The whole LDC apsect of the hobby and the fact I don't have to worry about a misplaced shot skipping 2 miles is what makes it fun. No need to lift an ear muff off and ask "Can you say that again?". Just natural conversation the entire time we're plinking.

6,000 CPD 14.3gr pellets are ~$80 or so. I could probably buy a PCP for the price of that in .22 short or LR.

Plus, honestly, I like the whole concept of it. I've reloaded powder burners and did casting for years but there's just something about bending air to your will instead of fire that appeals to me. No puff of smoke, no smell, no report, just a whizz and *dink* and watching the spinning target kinectly react. Even better is when the sun is just right and between blinks you can see the pellet in movement and think "Oooh, that one is going to land nicely right on target!"

It's an expensive hobby but as they say, time is money, and the time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time :)

Reactions: Saltlake58