• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's your dream Big Bore?

Thanks for the tip, but if I just wanted a muzzle loader, changing a breech would be pretty easy. Not aimed at you, but in support of the idea.

A heavy modern style gun in a laminate stock isn't what I am looking for.

I want a light gun. The lighter the better as long as we are talking real wood.

I dont want to ram a bullet down a barrel that has any possible way of going off while I am doing so, which any gun with remaining air could do. The dump valve does not have enough air in it to push the valve open, even if you held the trigger down. 

I want a 36 inch barrel in a format that makes it look right, which the longrifle does easily.

I want real iron sights or a peep rear with a hooded post/bead on the front. The long barrel lets even my old eyes use the sights that way.

With the dump valve, things are simple. Pressure, volume and porting. No springs except the one that pushes the stem back into the vale aftr

I don't want a hammer driven by a heavy spring to be bouncing around for the shot. The simple dump valve with the sliding sear plate works well, produces good power, and the set triggers defeat the only real weakness. The simple dump valve operates like a pulsed electric solenoid and leaves you able to port the air into the barrel at a favorable angle if that is your wish, while being easily concealed inside many of the fat wristed longrifle stocks.

I want to be able to cradle a real long rifle that barks when it speaks, looks as good as it shoots, and makes maximum power for the platform, since I am a hunter. I am a 60 year old hunter.

In our world today, if Traditional Muzzleloading is going to continue, I believe this is the only way it will be able to do so.

XP-58
1564307509_17341573335d3d7035b79ad1.38836078_IMG_4568.JPG

By Far my fav is the XP-58 . I also have a XP ranger .452 but nothing destroys boar like the 58. I get 6 shots, 4 high power 850-960FPS, and 2 low around 750 using 433 and 460gr hollow points. Make sure you get a big suppressor for your big bore. mine is 15" and takes the gun from 130dB to 117dB. FYI in the pic above i dug that slug out of the big male on the left

Mod3 Edit: Dead Hog Picture inappropriate for this section ... removed!

As much as I like shooting I just cannot bring myself to buy a big bore for range only, I have owned the Bulldog, and four Texans and currently have the .45 LSS and the 308 Carbine 

My .308 is my all around range and hunting gun, its short and not as air hungry as the .45 both produce enough power and KPE to be legal in Texas Game hunting and both will take just about any game available to me in Texas. 

My first thought when I saw the .308 being made available is that it was nothing but a gimmick to bring powder shooters into the air gun world but I need to eat some crow, I love the gun it is a flat shooter and with some tuning and TLC a hole in hole gun, once you learn the power curve and shoot with the curve

I can buy some 79 grain and hunt tree varmints or 150 gr and put some venison or porkchops on the table 

I will admit I would love to see Airforce design the Texan format with a better stock system and with picatinny rails I mean really!!! its almost impossible to find rings and light packages for a 11mm rail 

But I digress 

Well I may have almost owned what might of been my dream BB. Girl at RAW didn’t tell me the .357 is now interchangeable. I figured if I didn’t like 81 grain BC I was stuck. Turns out I could easily have gone to .177-.30 or put a custom 28-36” .243 or .257 on it. Yeah, AF’s Cameron decided one mono block to rule them all. The .357. Site still says .357 not interchangeable with any other caliber. Well, without extensive customization but they made it simple now.

So I learned I really love EDguns bolt. Great hammer system like on a Mini 14, AK, hard hitting 180* swing hammer. I look at Thomas BR barrel to receiver build. Nice. 
I think my dream BB would be a great Varmint round more than power based. Though 205 fpe isn’t weak. I don’t mind tethered shooting. I’d want it for a big bore. I sold my 3 Quackenbush pistols because of shot count & didn’t feel like having custom carbine stocks made. 
As of right now AAA or Scandalous. Otherwise a RAW .30 or .357.

A customized fully milled thick receiver with a full 1” 36” or maybe 1.25” @ 32” based off Air Force Texan but not factory. 
Ok, since I said RAW/factory, AAA/ semi custom or Doug Noble type Texan. I might as well wish for a 20-25lb Chip Smith Sumo electronic solenoid vale & trigger sporting a 36” Bartlein, PAC-NOR, Kreiger, or Hart would be nice hand lapped for NSA or VK Corbin die slugs in high BC RBT 65 grain. .193+ 1:13 so I could also send 92-95’s .212BC. 
Heavy, lefty, long. Tethered if not a massive Sumo 2-3”OD titanium tube as long as fully shrouded barrel. 
Yeah just give Chip, Bowman, AZ, or Noble a blank check & say stun me. That would be my pipe dream big bore

1579878092_8240771105e2b06ccea97c1.38310488_B300FCB3-28DD-4FD3-AEA9-476C106893A5.png
There’s 10 shots with 1fill at 75 yards The first shot I pulled The high one, And haven’t shot my slayer probably for five months so I’m a little rusty. I get the same hole accuracy at 50 yards half-inch at 100 with NSA 142 and a clean barrel when The conditions are right.

That is pretty good shooting right there. I get the same accuracy with my Slayer, and using NSA 142's as well. A couple weeks ago I put the first three shots inside an inch at 235 yards. Have you polished the bore or tried lubing the slugs to keep it clean? I did that and also roll the slugs in a tin with foam soaked in silicone oil and my bore stays spotless and accurate.

1579878092_8240771105e2b06ccea97c1.38310488_B300FCB3-28DD-4FD3-AEA9-476C106893A5.png
There’s 10 shots with 1fill at 75 yards The first shot I pulled The high one, And haven’t shot my slayer probably for five months so I’m a little rusty. I get the same hole accuracy at 50 yards half-inch at 100 with NSA 142 and a clean barrel when The conditions are right.

Spill the beans!
What rifle, what caliber?