What’s your daily job?

Professional tree monkey (AKA an arborist and forester) for 25 years now. Getting a little long in the tooth for climbing now, but I’d never do anything else. I actually got into air-gunning about 5 years ago as a practical way to eliminate tree-damaging/destroying vermin.
I did that right after highschool I got a job with Asplundh tree work with them for 4 years until they lost the contract with the power co-op.

Reactions: darylm
I did that right after highschool I got a job with Asplundh tree work with them for 4 years until they lost the contract with the power co-op.
Sure beats office work!

IMG_6445.jpeg

I'm a retired gunsmith. Worked around 10 years for other people, and around 15 running my own shop. Before that I was in the Army. I was a driver and then gunner on an M1A1 Abrams.
I was a tank Commander and a Platoon Sergeant. Been on all M60 series tanks thru M1A1. 10 yrs in the states and the rest of the time in Germany long before the draw down and after. Since I retired the 1st time after 20 yrs active duty in 1999, I missed the transition to the A2's with CITV. No telling how far in tech it has gotten since I left. It's always evolving and newer tech becoming available. I was missing it for a long time but finally got it out of my system. I retired again last July after 22 yrs with the Feds. 42 yrs total Federal time. Now I just play with all of the toys I have and ones I didn't have before if that makes sense.

I shoot a lot and enjoy plinking, target practice challenges, and occasionally eradication of "critters" coons, possums, armadillos, foxes and a sick ugly stray dog or cats wandering looking to feast on my flock! I live in the country so there always will be critter invasions. Nothing my 25 cal Avenge X can't drop.

Yeah seen a lot of interesting equipment working with them. Since I was the float guy I got to work with all the crews including the transmission guys. Seen a zip line pulley system got set up now thats interesting. Every year a new bucket truck was coming out. Which I always had the chance to operate. Then the transmission guys got a new timberjack with the new elevator lift system. MAN!!! 93 ft working height there wasn't a tree we couldn't reach...lol 😆. I seen a few trucks in our area working few months ago they have those new elevator lifts. They have a working height of 80ft which in Urban areas that will reach everything. Those guys got it made today!!! It's very rare they have to climb anything. Missed that work... To old now and my health not that great.

Reactions: darylm
I was a tank Commander and a Platoon Sergeant. Been on all M60 series tanks thru M1A1. 10 yrs in the states and the rest of the time in Germany long before the draw down and after. Since I retired the 1st time after 20 yrs active duty in 1999, I missed the transition to the A2's with CITV. No telling how far in tech it has gotten since I left. It's always evolving and newer tech becoming available. I was missing it for a long time but finally got it out of my system. I retired again last July after 22 yrs with the Feds. 42 yrs total Federal time. Now I just play with all of the toys I have and ones I didn't have before if that makes sense.

I shoot a lot and enjoy plinking, target practice challenges, and occasionally eradication of "critters" coons, possums, armadillos, foxes and a sick ugly stray dog or cats wandering looking to feast on my flock! I live in the country so there always will be critter invasions. Nothing my 25 cal Avenge X can't drop.
I served 4 years back in the 1990's. My first tank was an M1IP, and then we got the M1A1. I got to do a brief 1 day familiarization course with the then new M1A2. The CITV and all those touch-screens were really something.

I made some lifelong friends, and boy did we have a good time. I'll never forget the first day of actual in the field driver training at Ft. Knox. Yelling clear to the rear, holding the starter button down, and listening to that turbine wind up was an awesome experience.

Reactions: CurtisNelson

Awesome! I was a 19k in 1990-92. Was stationed in Friedberg, GE. 2/67 Armor, 3rd Armored Division. Went to DS immediately after arrival, all the units equipment was already on boats headed to Saudi. We had M1 and M1A1s in OSUT at Knox. I'll never forget the sound of the 105mm shell casings bouncing on the floor when we were doing the range training. 120mm was much simpler! What a great machine!

Reactions: Northwoods22
Awesome! I was a 19k in 1990-92. Was stationed in Friedberg, GE. 2/67 Armor, 3rd Armored Division. Went to DS immediately after arrival, all the units equipment was already on boats headed to Saudi. We had M1 and M1A1s in OSUT at Knox. I'll never forget the sound of the 105mm shell casings bouncing on the floor when we were doing the range training. 120mm was much simpler! What a great machine!
Those hot 105mm empty casings piled up awfully fast on the turret floor. The 120mm was such a vast improvement.

I take it the 120 is caseless and uses bag propellant like the big guns on ships?
It's an electrically primed self contained combustible case round.

The gun is a smoothbore, and the HEAT and sabot rounds are fin stabilized. Everything but the rim/aft cap where the extractors engage is consumed. With the sabot round, the sabot petals strip away when the round leaves the bore. What pops out of the breech is about the size of a large ashtray with a small perforated tube attached. Works well, but the combustible case is more prone to damage compared to the metal case of the older 105mm, so it's handle with care.

The gray and black colored base and the perforated internal tube is all that's left after firing. The lighter silver colored casing is consumed with the burning propellant. Sure beats having a bunch of hot 105mm empties clanging around. The 120mm has better ballistics as well.

M865-768x1457.png

Last edited:
Yeah seen a lot of interesting equipment working with them. Since I was the float guy I got to work with all the crews including the transmission guys. Seen a zip line pulley system got set up now thats interesting. Every year a new bucket truck was coming out. Which I always had the chance to operate. Then the transmission guys got a new timberjack with the new elevator lift system. MAN!!! 93 ft working height there wasn't a tree we couldn't reach...lol 😆. I seen a few trucks in our area working few months ago they have those new elevator lifts. They have a working height of 80ft which in Urban areas that will reach everything. Those guys got it made today!!! It's very rare they have to climb anything. Missed that work... To old now and my health not that great.
Yeah, the spider lifts are awesome. 50-100’ working heights and fit through a 36” in gate! Now if could only convince my boss to shell out $150K for one 😂

IMG_6446.jpeg

Reactions: Northwoods22
After a 32 year long engineering career with the Dept. of Defense I am seriously retired...just doin' what needs doin', fixin' what needs fixin' and bein' the best husband I can be to keep a smile on my wife's face, the love of my life (and she keeps a smile on mine!)
Sooo… that explains your moniker — you’re not a guy who loves the r1, you’re a lover who happens to own an r1.

Reactions: r1lover
Retired now from 32 years in the pawnshop industry.
Back in another life I was a 45 Bravo small arms repair (also carried the MOS’s of 15 Delta 10 and 63 Charlie 10) worked on everything from 1911A1’s to 8 inch self-propelled howitzers. Last century involved with changing out all the long barrels on the 8 inch self-propelled howitzers to the short barrels at Graffenver Germany late 70s. From 1980 through 88 worked on a lot of M 60 tanks, self propelled 155’s 4.2 mortars M2 fifty caliber’s and anything in between down at Fort Hood Texas with the Texas National Guard.
tim

IMG_0646.jpeg

After a period of transition, I've decided this retirement thing is a pretty good gig. An average day usually involves one or more of the following: shooting in the yard, playing tennis, going to the gun club, taking the car for a drive in the country, taking the dog for a run, visiting grand kids, or doing nothing. The problem with doing nothing of course, is finding a good stopping point! Then around 5:00 the dog reminds me it's time to open the bar, since she gets a snack (no not bourbon). But I'm blessed with good health (since having both shoulders repaired), and a great family. If you have that, all else is just extra stuff.
Took me a bit to transition to retirement also, and my day mirrors yours; shooting/one of the ranges or in yard, swimming, dog run, grand kids, a NAP, and hell ya "happy hour". My wife works 3 days per work which I enjoy and not because of the money 🤣 So I shop and fix dinner to keep her happy working.😍