• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What’s your best hunting pellet?

JSB 18s is what I've used in the .22 HW100. Best accuracy from this rifle and a consistent head cracker on squirrels. I tested the H&N Baracuda Hunter hollowpoints, poor accuracy; they would be usable up to thirty yards max. Don't know how the Polymags would perform from this rifle or if they would even fitted magazine, might be too long. I need to test the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extremes.

I also have a .177 Beeman R1; fair accuracy with the H&N Hunter Extremes but best with the Crosman Premier hollowpoints. Not killed any game critters with it yet. With my poor springer shooting I'd be limited to around 15-20 yards.

Reactions: MEC17670
JSB 18s is what I've used in the .22 HW100. Best accuracy from this rifle and a consistent head cracker on squirrels. I tested the H&N Baracuda Hunter hollowpoints, poor accuracy; they would be usable up to thirty yards max. Don't know how the Polymags would perform from this rifle or if they would even fitted magazine, might be too long. I need to test the H&N Baracuda Hunter Extremes.

I also have a .177 Beeman R1; fair accuracy with the H&N Hunter Extremes but best with the Crosman Premier hollowpoints. Not killed any game critters with it yet. With my poor springer shooting I'd be limited to around 15-20 yards.
I agree the BH were terrible after about 30yds. The polymags come in shorts now in .22 I highly recommend trying some out. They are accurate at many speeds I found. In the springer try the crow mags see if those do better. I never tried a 177 my fat fingers struggle with the 22😂

Depends how far I’m shooting. But priority is accuracy. I like polymags also but they have to be seriously accurate out of that gun or I won’t use them. Since you apologized to slug guys you might like this. I’m not a Hades advocate. They aren’t a magically expanding pellet or explode. But they work. I had back to back squirrel hunts. First day was using a .25 slug gun shooting fast. Second hunt was with a .25 Hades gun shooting around 900fps. All shots were 50 and under with both guns. Pellets were the clear winner for things falling dead with no run offs. I was shocked. Since then my slug guns still go to the woods for squirrel, but 90% of the time I’m using one of my pellet shooters.

Depends how far I’m shooting. But priority is accuracy. I like polymags also but they have to be seriously accurate out of that gun or I won’t use them. Since you apologized to slug guys you might like this. I’m not a Hades advocate. They aren’t a magically expanding pellet or explode. But they work. I had back to back squirrel hunts. First day was using a .25 slug gun shooting fast. Second hunt was with a .25 Hades gun shooting around 900fps. All shots were 50 and under with both guns. Pellets were the clear winner for things falling dead with no run offs. I was shocked. Since then my slug guns still go to the woods for squirrel, but 90% of the time I’m using one of my pellet shooters.

Agree 100%

Pellets around 30 fpe will anchor a prairie dog much quicker than a slug of the same caliber in similar fpe. The slug seems to just ice pick them. The pellet even makes a louder "pop" "plunk" sort of sound than the sound made when the slugs hit them. A friend calls the pellet thump "schwack."

Slug makes less noise on impact, seemingly piercing and continuing on its way, zipping right through.

Agree 100%

Pellets around 30 fpe will anchor a prairie dog much quicker than a slug of the same caliber in similar fpe. The slug seems to just ice pick them. The pellet even makes a louder "pop" "plunk" sort of sound than the sound made when the slugs hit them. A friend calls the pellet thump "schwack."

Slug makes less noise on impact, seemingly piercing and continuing on its way, zipping right through.
Ever hear a polymag detonate a sparrow?

Last edited:
My slugs do massive damage, so that’s why after the fourth or fifth squirrel fell like a stone I just kinda sat there with probably a strange look on my face. My .25 slugger is a nasty gun, but I’ve perfectly accepted that it’s no more effective on squirrel in the forest than a good pellet gun with a good pellet. And yes, a 32gr slug at 1,048fps has nothing on a 900fps Polymag when it comes to the sound of the impact. If that’s your thing, a Poly is a serious popper. I think what makes a Hades have a slight advantage over a dome is they took just enough of the dome off to help with cavitation. It’s not wadcutter flat but they found the in between that gives you a little more range than a wadcutter. It has nothing to do with expansion. It’s about resistance through tissue.

My favorite hunting pellet is the most accurate one it will shoot.. I have never tried Hades so i don't know what I'm missing if anything. Polymags...I have a couple of 22's that shoot them good. Thump squirrels pretty hard, devastating on starlings. I like em. JSB or FX 18gr domes always work good....Right now I'm on a 177 slug kick for squirrel season this year.. so far those little 177 zan slugs are flat bad to the bone as far as a 177 goes. Expansion is perfect. I like them a lot..

So many fine pellets/slugs are available today. However I have had good succes with .25cal H&N Wadcutter match pellet(shortrange). There is something when a flat headed pellet smacks the chest of a pigion. That goes for wadcutter pellet in .177cal too. For longer ranges the H&N .25cal Baracuda was my favorit when I had a Theoben Rapid Mk 2.

Reactions: Crabbypatties
So many fine pellets/slugs are available today. However I have had good succes with .25cal H&N Wadcutter match pellet(shortrange). There is something when a flat headed pellet smacks the chest of a pigion. That goes for wadcutter pellet in .177cal too. For longer ranges the H&N .25cal Baracuda was my favorit when I had a Theoben Rapid Mk 2.
I'm curious to hear some reviews on the JTS semi domed pellets for hunting.

4 of my 5 pcps prefer H&Ns. My P35-25 and my Prod get Field Trophy Target and drop squirrels just fine. The 25 drops them with authority and almost always exits. The P35-22 and P35-177 prefer Baracuda Match pellets. The 22 seems to drop them a little quicker but I haven't lost any with the 177 nor have I had any run. My 25 caliber Avenger hates every H&N I've tried in it so it gets FX 25 grain. Again it works great.

It's already been said but a simple domed pellet kills squirrels very, very, well as long as you put it into a vital area. If you put an expanding pellet into a non-vital area it isn't going to work very well.

Reactions: Crabbypatties
I'm lucky that my BRK .22 shoots 14.3gr CPHPs accurately out to 50 yards! Saves a bunch of money. Like @dens228, I've always had good results with the 34gr Redesigns in .25 as well as the H&N Baracuda which @rigbymauser likes. I have some slug guns and use them, but it is normally for longer range and in windier conditions. I always take more than one gun to change out depending on the hunting conditions! That's why I tell the wife I always need "one more"!