What's with the Slug Speed fetish lately?

Nobody has talked about air usage. I am a high volume ground squirrel shooter. 500-750 shots a day. 3 days in a row. I bring two Great White Bottles with me. Last year I was shooting both my Impact and Panthera 22 cal at 1025fps, 31.2 NSA slugs. Now if I go down to 950 fps I double my shot count at 975 75% higher shot count. Now yes, I do loose about 50 yards with the lower speed. That really is not an issue though. Having more air though is huge. And no, I am not getting a gas powered compressor.
Oh, I have shot them out to 275 yards. No at 275 they do not lift or spray guts like a closer shot. They just roll over.

• Love
Reactions: JungleShooter
Nobody has talked about air usage. I am a high volume ground squirrel shooter. 500-750 shots a day. 3 days in a row. I bring two Great White Bottles with me. Last year I was shooting both my Impact and Panthera 22 cal at 1025fps, 31.2 NSA slugs. Now if I go down to 950 fps I double my shot count at 975 75% higher shot count. Now yes, I do loose about 50 yards with the lower speed. That really is not an issue though. Having more air though is huge. And no, I am not getting a gas powered compressor.
Oh, I have shot them out to 275 yards. No at 275 they do not lift or spray guts like a closer shot. They just roll over.
Yup .. same here in the spring months pounding away at the beldings !!! 3 day trips have exceeded 2000 shots taken on several occasions.

Where can I sign up for the 500 shots a day at ground squirrels? That would be awesome! Not sure what you mean by "I do loose about 50 yards with the lower speed"?

Reactions: Revoman
The reality is, Beldons do not give you time to dial. Almost all hold over. They may sit steady for 5 second, then they are on the move. They only time they sit steady is if it is windy and they are hunkered down, or you shoot one and they go to have fresh meat to snack on. On a warmer sunny day, they just are always on the move.

When out in these Alfalfa fields there are generally deep wheel ruts from the irrigation pivots. IIRC standard distance wheel to wheel is 100 feet.
If you spend the time to range each wheel rut out in front of you, one can have a far better idea when quickly obtaining a fresh target @ how far out it is and range correct accordingly with Air Guns especially !!! Fortunate enough to go out with a .17HMR not so much :love:

Elevation really helps on the longer shots. You can see the distance. And my alternate rigs are 17hmr and 17wsm.
IMG_2994.jpeg