• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's with the Slug Speed fetish lately?

I've hit small birds with my .177 slugger inside 50y with NSA 15's that left muzzle at @ 1060 fps .... PUFF !!!! Parts and wings kinda go everywhere o_O

Yupp, I've come accross vids of HOSPS and starlings with PFE hits (parts flying everywhere).
You've done well to achieve that with the small caliber, Motorhead. 👍🏼

However, I'm wondering about pigeons and PFE hits — the big fat blue ones, or the smaller gray rats with wings.... 🤔

Matthias

I've hit small birds with my .177 slugger inside 50y with NSA 15's that left muzzle at @ 1060 fps .... PUFF !!!! Parts and wings kinda go everywhere o_O
Exactly. Speed gives me better expansion and limits pass through. I don't have any pigeons around here but sure works on chippers and squirrels. .177 slugs are the most fun I've had with airguns in years.

I just got a new Wildcat MK3 VP in 25 caliber. It shoots great with 25.4 gr (940 fps) and 33.4 gr (898 fps) pellets, but 26 gr FX Hybrid slugs at 920fps? Terrible, but I'm not disappointed. that's what I usually expect from slugs.

View attachment 415886

I have FX Maverick VP .25 (so very close to your wildcat) and shoot same projectiles. IMO 940fps seems little too hot for 25.4gr pellets (start to spiral). 900fps is good for 33.4gr. I shoot them aswell between 880-900fps. FX hybrids need about 965fps.

I have tuned my Maverick so that powerlevel 7 it will shoot 34.4gr JSB about 900fps. Hybrids go same setting about that 960-965fps. 25.4gr JSB I use either powerlevel 4 (-915fps) or 3 (-880fps).

I understand staying subsonic for the noise reduction but my question is why stop at 1050fps slugs are spin stabilized and I don't care about the noise I'd like to see an air rifle match 22-250 speed 45gr @ 4000fps just curious if it can be done
We stay subsonic for the same reason match 22lr does. Our speeds will never be fast enough to keep from breaking the sound barrier and then dropping back below it at range. This will destabilize any projectile.

4000fps is not possible with room temperature air.
Why? I'm curious . I'm also newish to pcp world I just figured with enough pressure anything could happen lol I also understand that you can only hold so much pressure what can one get as far as fps 1200.1700.2500 faster equals more fpe as a hunter more fpe and speed mean longer range with enough power to ethically put down game accuracy is also part of it my thinking and I could be wrong is slugs being spin stabilized you should be able to push them just like bullets from a powder burner there is always a limit for example using a muzzleloader at some point the powder charge is either dangerous or wasted flies out the muzzle without being used

We stay subsonic for the same reason match 22lr does. Our speeds will never be fast enough to keep from breaking the sound barrier and then dropping back below it at range. This will destabilize any projectile.
I figured that to but IF you could push a 40gr slug at 2000fps it would sure extend the range and deliver more energy on target I am just corious where the top is what is the fastest anyone has/can push them

Why? I'm curious . I'm also newish to pcp world I just figured with enough pressure anything could happen lol I also understand that you can only hold so much pressure what can one get as far as fps 1200.1700.2500 faster equals more fpe as a hunter more fpe and speed mean longer range with enough power to ethically put down game accuracy is also part of it my thinking and I could be wrong is slugs being spin stabilized you should be able to push them just like bullets from a powder burner there is always a limit for example using a muzzleloader at some point the powder charge is either dangerous or wasted flies out the muzzle without being used
One of the entertaining parts of using a muzzle loader for hunting was finding that perfect load/slug combo. Maybe that's why I am now enjoying the airgun hobby so much. I'm easily bored and need to tinker.

Reactions: fisherhunt3
I understand staying subsonic for the noise reduction but my question is why stop at 1050fps slugs are spin stabilized and I don't care about the noise I'd like to see an air rifle match 22-250 speed 45gr @ 4000fps just curious if it can be done
You would need to put 57,000psi behind a slug to match that speed. So even though you would like to see it, you won’t. But you can simply enjoy Airguns and firearms each in their own lane.

I figured that to but IF you could push a 40gr slug at 2000fps it would sure extend the range and deliver more energy on target I am just corious where the top is what is the fastest anyone has/can push them
From what I understand, the maximum velocity of air is not far over 1200 fps. That comes from reading people that are a lot smarter than me.

I think there are some running helium that have surpassed that.

Last edited:
From what I understand, the maximum velocity of air is not far over 1200 fps. That comes from reading people that are a lot smarter than me.

I think there are some running helium that have surpassed that.
The mass flow rate peaks at Mach 1. So close to 1200fps maximum flow rate. But once you get that column of air flowing, there is expansion happening on top of that at the flow front. That expansion front also peaks at close to Mach 1 (relative to the flow stream). So a good estimate of maximum possible velocity is about Mach 2 of the original air charge.

Doesn’t matter how much pressure you apply, you won’t exceed that. Once you get much past 12000psi, air is closer to the density of water.

Helium has the same limits. About Mach 2 of the propelling gas. Helium has a higher Mach number than air, so a higher maximum velocity potential. But the main advantage with helium in practical use, is its lower density.

Reactions: EdinGa
You would need to put 57,000psi behind a slug to match that speed. So even though you would like to see it, you won’t. But you can simply enjoy Airguns and firearms each in their own lane.
Wow didn't realize it would take that much pressure I was thinking more about sabot slugs like 30cal sabot slug in a 457 texan again I personally don't have the means to test just corious I've seen 22cal sabot put into the 30-06 and produced blistering speed with decent accuracy they also used to paper patch bullets same idea muzzleloader got the idea going in my head as I use a 45sabot bullet to hunt with and thought why not in an air rifle

Last edited:
Oh I do enjoy both as I said many times I'm just corious and don't have anyone around me with the knowledge and interest that we have most of my friends are firearm owner and would/will tell you just shoot 22subsonic or any other fast cartridges out there

The mass flow rate peaks at Mach 1. So close to 1200fps maximum flow rate. But once you get that column of air flowing, there is expansion happening on top of that at the flow front. That expansion front also peaks at close to Mach 1 (relative to the flow stream). So a good estimate of maximum possible velocity is about Mach 2 of the original air charge.

Doesn’t matter how much pressure you apply, you won’t exceed that. Once you get much past 12000psi, air is closer to the density of water.

Helium has the same limits. About Mach 2 of the propelling gas. Helium has a higher Mach number than air, so a higher maximum velocity potential. But the main advantage with helium in practical use, is its lower density.
This explains a lot with firearm one can easily obtain 65kpsl chamber pressure I just didn't know what the limit with air was