• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's with the Slug Speed fetish lately?

Some people have a "bigger/more powerful is better" mindset that they just can't let go of. Manufacturers know this and play right into it with how they advertise a lot of their products.
I agree and will add that many people want an airgun to be a pb as far as power. I like the airgun platform in that, it's quiet, cheaper to shoot, and for me, A more relaxing experience. But I also like sporter style and wood over the tacticool black gun style. As far as shooting slugs I think that it is an option but not the solution and is over hyped.

Yes, true statement. And with my .25 Panthera at 200 yards and Altaros 49.5 grain Smooth, it’s a 68 inch drop with 50 yard zero. If I bump the speed to 1000 fps, it’s 52 inch drop. So a 16 inch difference. Are either of these flat?
Here’s the rub.

At 200 yards and 1000 fps, if you mis-range by only 5 yards you miss a ground squirrel.
-3 and +4 inches -/+ 5 yards

At 200 yards and 885 fps, you also miss by about the same amount if you mis-range by 5 yards
-4 and + 4 inches -/+ 5 yards.

Hmmmm, is there really any benefit to that extra speed? No Pros and numerous Cons that I can think of.

Yeah "flat shooting" is pretty subjective. I'm curious to know how many people are actually hunting at 200yds vs just looking for a more explosive effect on squirrels inside 75yds in their own back yards. As a pellets only user, a zippy little slug and only 3.5" of hold at that kind of range does seem fairly flat to me for an airgun
And therein lies the beauty of the airgun. Select a gun, projectile, tune, that meets your needs and desires. The amount of options within the options is enough to keep most of us happy. I love being able to take an M3 that some use for 200+ yards and perfect it for 75 and under using whatever speed, projectile, tune, that works for ME. Now isn't that just plain crazy............lol

Reactions: Sqwirl57
And therein lies the beauty of the airgun. Select a gun, projectile, tune, that meets your needs and desires. The amount of options within the options is enough to keep most of us happy. I love being able to take an M3 that some use for 200+ yards and perfect it for 75 and under using whatever speed, projectile, tune, that works for ME. Now isn't that just plain crazy............lol
I agree 100% and willing to bet most people here would. Shoot, I convinced myself I needed a gun dedicated to barn pigeons. I don’t even own a barn or have any friends who do. I'm ready to go if if the opportunity arises though lol

Some people have a "bigger/more powerful is better" mindset that they just can't let go of. Manufacturers know this and play right into it with how they advertise a lot of their products.
That's the American way. Why do people drive around in the biggest, baddest, blackest, noisiest, smelliest pickup trucks? They say "Off Road" on the side, but never go there.

• Haha
Reactions: Motorhead
Yeah "flat shooting" is pretty subjective. I'm curious to know how many people are actually hunting at 200yds vs just looking for a more explosive effect on squirrels inside 75yds in their own back yards. As a pellets only user, a zippy little slug and only 3.5" of hold at that kind of range does seem fairly flat to me for an airgun
I had a first shot GS at 286 yards this Summer, so yes, definitely more than 75 yards. When I only shoot to 100Y I use my .22 Cricket mini with 18.1 JSB at 880 fps.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Hey Centercut,

What velocity would you estimate my 25 cal V3 would push those NSA 29 grainers? It's going 916fps for the 49.5's and 862 for the 60's so 92 or 99 fpe.

Thanks for any help.
I’d estimate you’d break the sound barrier and get about 1190 fps with the 29 NSA

I had a first shot GS at 286 yards this Summer, so yes, definitely more than 75 yards. When I only shoot to 100Y I use my .22 Cricket mini with 18.1 JSB at 880 fps.
That's a great shot but really doesn't follow my question there. I know some people do stretch their airguns out that far but I'm curious as to what percentage of airgunners actually do. My point was that I get the feeling that a lot of the guys who are looking for "flat shooting" aren't talking about 200-300yds. They're talking about 0-50 or 75. It kind of goes without saying that there isn't really an airgun out there that is particularly flat much past 100. FLATTER absolutely but not flat.

Reactions: Centercut
Yes, true statement. And with my .25 Panthera at 200 yards and Altaros 49.5 grain Smooth, it’s a 68 inch drop with 50 yard zero. If I bump the speed to 1000 fps, it’s 52 inch drop. So a 16 inch difference. Are either of these flat?
Here’s the rub.

At 200 yards and 1000 fps, if you mis-range by only 5 yards you miss a ground squirrel.
-3 and +4 inches -/+ 5 yards

At 200 yards and 885 fps, you also miss by about the same amount if you mis-range by 5 yards
-4 and + 4 inches -/+ 5 yards.

Hmmmm, is there really any benefit to that extra speed? No Pros and numerous Cons that I can think of.
I would say the only real advantage of high speed is better slug expansion.

Marketing/Novice Shooters,
We are routinely bombarded by videos of people shooting the FX Impact using slugs in excess of 950 fps. It's almost the norm.
It's already been shown (over & over) that pellets and slugs shoot best between 850 and maybe 925 fps.

Wow thanks for the articles that was a good and very informative read now I think.ive got some tuning to do lol

I would say the only real advantage of high speed is better slug expansion.
The advantages of lower vs higher velocity is situational. Besides potential for more expansion, higher velocity also carries more energy. Energy delivery and expansion is a consideration in hunting and some target shooting.

There’s more. For my 7mm slug gun:

At 885fps, I can click out to 381yds with the current setup.

At 1052fps, I can click out to 489yds

I can shoot a little farther in each case, but I have to add in reticle holdover.

At 300yds, 1052fps gives about 10% less wind drift than 885fps.

So there’s also that.

Balance the trade offs to get the optimal velocity for your situation.

I’d estimate you’d break the sound barrier and get about 1190 fps with the 29 NSA

Pretty close Mike.
1058 fps average but 1067 was the highest velocity.
They didn't shoot well in my V3 though, at least not at that speed, only two hits on the 250Y steel coyote/fox sized out of 15 or so shots, vs almost every time using the 60gr Queens.

Just a FYI for the fun of it. I also shot my 22 short rimfire High Standard pistol over the chrono with 5" barrel and the velocity was 720 fps for a 30gr bullet.

I just got a new Wildcat MK3 VP in 25 caliber. It shoots great with 25.4 gr (940 fps) and 33.4 gr (898 fps) pellets, but 26 gr FX Hybrid slugs at 920fps? Terrible, but I'm not disappointed. that's what I usually expect from slugs.

Scan_20231214 (3).jpg

I just got a new Wildcat MK3 VP in 25 caliber. It shoots great with 25.4 gr (940 fps) and 33.4 gr (898 fps) pellets, but 26 gr FX Hybrid slugs at 920fps? Terrible, but I'm not disappointed. that's what I usually expect from slugs.

View attachment 415886
I need to shoot my Hybrid clones faster than my pellets for good accuracy.