What’s with all the negativity on AGN lately?

CC- Sometimes trying different types of lubes improve 100 yard accuracy. A lot are too shy to post that it worked.

Some are really night and day diffetences.

Try all lubes till you find the one that gives you the best accuracy.

Thanks Yo, I appreciate the advice... A few things:

I really want to support NSA, since Nick has done such a great job of making slugs affordable to us pellet guys...

NSA slugs already come lubed. He's gone through a few type of lube to come up with the current method, and it works well.

I honestly don't have the time or will to line up various lubes, acetone clean the slugs, lube them, shoot them. It takes enough time to properly tune a gun to shoot slugs accurately at 100+ yards. This gun was bought to be my long term ground squirrel Death Dealer out to 250+ yards. Longest kill so far is only 116 yards, but I haven't seen one farther than that in a while... Arken 6-24x50 EP-4 MOA scope rounds out the package. 

FYI, if any of you remember, I was told by quite a few people on AGN that .25 caliber slugs for the Impact was a loser's proposition, that they didn't work and I should consider a .30 or a .22 setup. And that went on for a few weeks... But I couldn't technically see a reason that .25 wouldn't work, and once I set my mind to something... Plus during it all, I saw Ted's video where he says the .25 King Heavy has knocked his .30 caliber Boobie Bottle Impact off the Throne. And he was nice enough to say .25 Slug A liner with JSB King Heavy (Mk1) at 900 FPS - my exact setup. So my gun on MAX shoots the 43.5 NSAs at 900 FPS, and on power level 3 shoots the King Heavies at 905 FPS. Both of them are MOA at 100 yards...

If I start lubing my secret batch, now I'm stuck. Every time I want to go shoot those slugs I'm now a slave to the process. No thanks. If I can find out of the box slugs that work well I'm golden. Like the NSA 43.5 in the Impact. Took me a while, but I found what works. All I have to do is order more slugs and open the box. Easy...

Oddly enough, for all the time it took to tune and find what works in the .25 Impact, it was conversely insanely easy with the .22 Bleu Wolf HP. The first slugs I tried were the .217 JSB KOs. First at 955 FPS, then from level 8 to level 9 on the Heli Board to 990 FPS and BINGO! MOA at 100 yards consistently. Actually even more accurate than the .25 Impact. And it took me all of a hour or two including the testing to confirm. Sometimes you just get lucky...

Sorry for hijacking the thread Stoti… :(

That might partly be my doing about saying the .22 and .30 being better than the .25 (with slugs) from my experience. It's my experience in a year and a half experimenting. Your results may vary but just thought I'd save you some frustration.

I stand by it, in the slug liners the .22 and .30 are truly "superior" to the .25. Just my opinion.

I’ve noticed a lot of members that joined when this forum was in its infancy hardly reply or post any more. And can you blame them!

The FT section is where most of these early members seem to reside. I feel more respect is given there, as should be, they are a very knowledgeable group of members!

That’s exactly what I’m talking about...People that used to contribute all the time, many still lurk in the background often. However, you never see them contribute anymore. That’s why I tried to make it as clear as I could that this isn’t about me and my feelings.The post is about just about being nice, respectful and friendly with each other, with everyone, it’s not that hard! Of course we’re not all going to agree with each other and don’t have to like each other, that’s life, it’s okay. I was just hoping that moving forward we could all work on being more civil with each other. It really is too bad when longtime members who are a wealth of knowledge and great people don’t contribute anymore but instead choose to lurk in the background.

Stoti

CC- Sometimes trying different types of lubes improve 100 yard accuracy. A lot are too shy to post that it worked.

Some are really night and day diffetences.

Try all lubes till you find the one that gives you the best accuracy.

Thanks Yo, I appreciate the advice... A few things:

I really want to support NSA, since Nick has done such a great job of making slugs affordable to us pellet guys...

NSA slugs already come lubed. He's gone through a few type of lube to come up with the current method, and it works well.

I honestly don't have the time or will to line up various lubes, acetone clean the slugs, lube them, shoot them. It takes enough time to properly tune a gun to shoot slugs accurately at 100+ yards. This gun was bought to be my long term ground squirrel Death Dealer out to 250+ yards. Longest kill so far is only 116 yards, but I haven't seen one farther than that in a while... Arken 6-24x50 EP-4 MOA scope rounds out the package. 

FYI, if any of you remember, I was told by quite a few people on AGN that .25 caliber slugs for the Impact was a loser's proposition, that they didn't work and I should consider a .30 or a .22 setup. And that went on for a few weeks... But I couldn't technically see a reason that .25 wouldn't work, and once I set my mind to something... Plus during it all, I saw Ted's video where he says the .25 King Heavy has knocked his .30 caliber Boobie Bottle Impact off the Throne. And he was nice enough to say .25 Slug A liner with JSB King Heavy (Mk1) at 900 FPS - my exact setup. So my gun on MAX shoots the 43.5 NSAs at 900 FPS, and on power level 3 shoots the King Heavies at 905 FPS. Both of them are MOA at 100 yards...

If I start lubing my secret batch, now I'm stuck. Every time I want to go shoot those slugs I'm now a slave to the process. No thanks. If I can find out of the box slugs that work well I'm golden. Like the NSA 43.5 in the Impact. Took me a while, but I found what works. All I have to do is order more slugs and open the box. Easy...

Oddly enough, for all the time it took to tune and find what works in the .25 Impact, it was conversely insanely easy with the .22 Bleu Wolf HP. The first slugs I tried were the .217 JSB KOs. First at 955 FPS, then from level 8 to level 9 on the Heli Board to 990 FPS and BINGO! MOA at 100 yards consistently. Actually even more accurate than the .25 Impact. And it took me all of a hour or two including the testing to confirm. Sometimes you just get lucky...

Sorry for hijacking the thread Stoti… :(

That might partly be my doing about saying the .22 and .30 being better than the .25 (with slugs) from my experience. It's my experience in a year and a half experimenting. Your results may vary but just thought I'd save you some frustration.

I stand by it, in the slug liners the .22 and .30 are truly "superior" to the .25. Just my opinion.

Glem, I got that directly from Matt D. when I got my first slug liner for the Impact. He told me straight out that they had done much more R&D for the. .22 than they did for the .25. At that point the .30 slug liners weren’t even available yet but those too had much more R&D when they started developing them. I agree that both did shoot better in the beginning but now, in the last 3-4 months, all of the liners and projectiles have advanced so much that it’s hard to say anymore.

I kind of took a break from slugs because I got burnt out and have been shooting a lot more pellets lately. I was anxiously waiting for the KO in .25 and also the H&N in .25 because I’ve heard great things. I have chosen to stick with the slug A liner because it shoots my chosen slug and also the JSB MKII so well but when I tested my first Superior liner with the FX Hybrids, it was crazy accurate. With little to no tuning, it was shooting the FX Hybrids like no slug I had tested previously.

It was kind of funny, I try each slug I test sized to .2485”, .249” and .2495”, I also try each of them both dry and lubed. I tested the Hybrids but forgot to lube any of them. The results were far from spectacular. A few days later I was reading somewhere that the Hybrids shoot great, blah, blah, blah. The guy said that If they don’t shoot. lube them and they will. I didn’t think much of it but it reminded me that I hadn’t shot any of them that were lubed. It can make a slight difference but in most cases, not much other than keeping the barrel cleaner, longer. In this case though, the difference was night and day, like I had never seen before. I was shooting 5 shot, one inch groups, over and over again and even a few groups that were close to half inch at 100yds. I was shooting groups that were flat out awesome and hadn’t even really tuned the gun for them, other than turning down the power wheel. These groups were the kind that when other people talk about, I usually don’t believe. LOL As spectacular as the groups were, the liner didn’t shoot the pellets as well as the slug A liner and I still want to shoot both pellets and slugs. I sold the Superior liner and still use the slug A in my Impact. I am pretty excited to test the Hybrids in my sons Maverick though. If it shoots them like the first Superior liner did, we’re just going to shoot the Hybrids out of the Maverick. 

I know I’m getting long winded again but the point is that the slugs and liners are advancing so fast that groups that were super hard to achieve just 6 months ago are becoming pretty common and it’s a lot easier to tune our guns to a particular slug. I’m really excited to see what the future holds for those of us that like to shoot slugs.

Stoti

Sometimes I am guilty. But I do my best to be impartial. And If you hear me complaining, it's because someone really needs to step their game up. I think reputation is everything. So, I like to share the good and the bad that I experience without a filter. That way the next guy will get an idea of what they might be getting into. As for the rest.... I don't have time for it. I'm not a child anymore.

It seems to be the members that have been around a while and start to feel comfortable that are being very negative lately....Making threats, arguing with other members, trying to intimidate buyers or sellers, bashing a certain brand of gun or optic, berating a particular retailer, talking smack about the customer service dept. at a particular manufacturer, complaining about shippers who are completely overwhelmed right now or even being overly sarcastic with members. WHY? What’s the point? It’s just toxic and kind of a bummer.

I had a big laugh,the guy did not know what he was talking about,then people got confused because they did not know what he was talking about ,then he admits he didn't know what he was talking about,still people were talking about what they thought he was talking about even after he admitted he did not know what he was talking about."You know what I'm talkin bout"Eddy Money,"Can't Go Back".

I can't be serious as I look like a duck.

All that happens in time because birds of a feather tend to flock together=they relate to each other,have more in common and get to know each other better,many become good friends and most tend to be very helpful.

Shooting helps some people relieve tension and stress,sometimes it can cause stress and tension....Never get so stressed you get mad,reason one to Always bring a couple more "play things"....just put down that stressful situation,grap a good one and have fun....play now fix later.

A reason I have too many play things and not enough time.

I

Not sure if I qualify as an older member, but I do miss the posts by some of the regulars that seem to not post anymore, conversely there are more than a few ex yellow members posting here now so I feel that there is still loads of value on AGN, trolls included!

I remember my first 2000 dollar airgun, and the disbelief, joy, regret and eventual nirvana! I am that RTFM guy, I follow instructions well so when the instruction run out the forums are all that is left. Respect to all the teachers on the forum...

I am no expert, but there are a few on this forum...

Vendors pay the bills here. This is the rule we do not mention. Make no mistake though, they do.

That said it looks, in this case, like the op was getting a load of cr49 from a couple of clowns and asked Mike to lock it.

Sometimes the "fanboys" are worse than any vendor ever was.

That's not how I read that situation at all. 

In the end, if the malfunction is due to an owner not understanding what he has in his hands and messing it up on Day 1 of ownership, it shouldn't be implied that it's a defect of the product and reflect badly on the manufacturer.

Well one reads things one way. The next man reads them another way.

Regarding a rifle that costs $1700 and is so fragile that a man with a screw driver can "ruin" it by adjusting screws ... ???

!!! Who should it reflect upon?

Vendors pay the bills here. This is the rule we do not mention. Make no mistake though, they do.

That said it looks, in this case, like the op was getting a load of cr49 from a couple of clowns and asked Mike to lock it.

Sometimes the "fanboys" are worse than any vendor ever was.

That's not how I read that situation at all. 

In the end, if the malfunction is due to an owner not understanding what he has in his hands and messing it up on Day 1 of ownership, it shouldn't be implied that it's a defect of the product and reflect badly on the manufacturer.

Well one reads things one way. The next man reads them another way.

Regarding a rifle that costs $1700 and is so fragile that a man with a screw driver can "ruin" it by adjusting screws ... ???

!!! Who should it reflect upon?

So here is a perfect example of where I'm going to exercise some extra patience and understanding to try to logically point out the flaw in your reasoning because I see that you're from Greece and English is likely not your native language. 

If you go back and carefully re-read that entire thread, you'll see that the owner does not understand what the two gauges on his rifle were for and what they measured. He thought that both gauges were to measure the pressure of the two regulators and stated that there was no gauge to actually read the air pressure in his air tank, which is clearly wrong. No modern day manufacturer would see a high-end AIR rifle without an air gauge to tell you how much air you have left in your tank.

Several people provided links to videos that clearly explained which gauge measured what and its the gauge by the tank that measures the bottle pressure; the rear gauge on the left side of the gun measures the pressure for BOTH gauges and there's.a very specific procedure you have to follow to set those two reg pressures. Yet the owner keeps thinking that there is no air pressure gauge and thinks that the two gauges are giving him the pressures of the two regs. If he's confused like that, how do you think he's going to be able to properly tune the rifle? And its this confusion and unfamiliarity with his new rifle that likely caused him to create the malfunction that he did.

He's not the first owner to do this and he won't be the last. But it doesn't matter if its a $300 or $3000 rifle, it doesn't take much to mess up any rifle if you don't know what you're doing. And if its human error that caused the problem, is it fair to try to blame the manufacturer and give them a bad name? 

And chances are, he did not "ruin" the rifle, he just unknowingly messed up the settings and Ken or any other capable tuner will be able to restore the rifle to proper working condition in no time at all. But again, this does not appear to be a fault of the rifle and more likely a new owner unfamiliar with a new model and messed it up by tinkering with it without the proper know-how. I'm not sure how else you could read the situation?

I am about as new as a member can be. I recently got an interest in air guns after reading some magazines that came with an on line subscription service. I’ve already posted several queries, I’m sure asking for info that has been talked about many times before. I have been impressed by the amount of knowledge members have and their willingness to share it. People on this site seem to be passionate about their interest in airguns and appear to be very forthcoming in helping a newby get started on the right step. 

As is to to be expected there is some brand rivalry but any sniping I see is very minimal compared to what I’ve seen on the chainsaw siteswhen the loggers get to debating. 

Very glad I found this site and thankful for the wealth of info available.

Buy an unregulated gun! Like a Benjamin Maximus or Discovery or Crosman Challenger or Benjamin unregulated Marauder or P-Rod 1720T or 1701P or Akela or Cayden or Kratos or Hatsan Flash or Vectis or Kral Puncher Breaker or Puncher Mega or Seneca Sumatra or AA CZ S200 or non regulated Brocock Bantam HiLite in 177 or 22 or Compatto 177 or 22 or unregulated Daystate Huntsman Regal or Daystate Renegade any caliber or AA S400 or HFT500 or unregulated S510 or Daystate electronic guns if you don't remove the barrel and or shroud they don't get all screwed up if you tinker with these even by user error they still shoot and don't leak. OH the HW 100 and 110 can be tinkered with reliably. They should include power screws that change the screws act as air flow jets or one screw as a TP restrictor that's all plus power jets just change screws no disassembly start selling at max power straight out of the box.

I miss those days when there was a respectful public conversation\debate about airgun theories, best practices with people like Yrrah, etc. To some degree the forum grew up, but also became a lot more commercialized. Any snippet of negative or positive comment by reputable members can move markets and focus to\/away from products.

Some of the gripes are from people (rightly or wrongly) use this forum and the focused industry/hobby-wide attention as a way to publicly coerce manufacturers/distributors to fix a problem with their individual newly purchased airgun. In some cases this is warranted (broader safety issue, manufacturer or design defect), in some cases it's plain whining, hoping to "shame" the manufacturer into attending to their individual problem. 

After a while it becomes apparent who knows what they are talking about and who is talking out of their ass. The longer members probably learned not to get drawn into a pissing contest with some of the new whipper-snapper members who may feel a need to prove to the world their "snippet of expertise" by making every debate into a do or die situation.

Everytime I read and interact on this forum I realize that there are people out there with much more knowledge and experience, which makes you humble.

Also,one must realize that because of the robust worldwide interest and dramatically commercialized nature of this forum those are a mixed blessing. It takes away from some of the deep-down individual tinkering aspect of the hobby that we were used to on the Yellow and GTA, etc. While being more commercialized, the conversation also heavily focuses on a few star-products, arguably often from the FX product line. I gather it's not easy manage this forum and trying to find a middle path with such geographic diversity and vastly varying interests and experiences.

But yes, I also miss those days of more civil and productive debates and conversations vs the "cancel culture" some are bringing with them from the outside.

Reactions: yenniedn
I miss those days when there was a respectful public conversation\debate about airgun theories, best practices with people like Yrrah, etc. To some degree the forum grew up, but also became a lot more commercialized. Any snippet of negative or positive comment by reputable members can move markets and focus to\/away from products.

Some of the gripes are from people (rightly or wrongly) use this forum and the focused industry/hobby-wide attention as a way to publicly coerce manufacturers/distributors to fix a problem with their individual newly purchased airgun. In some cases this is warranted (broader safety issue, manufacturer or design defect), in some cases it's plain whining, hoping to "shame" the manufacturer into attending to their individual problem. 

After a while it becomes apparent who knows what they are talking about and who is talking out of their ass. The longer members probably learned not to get drawn into a pissing contest with some of the new whipper-snapper members who may feel a need to prove to the world their "snippet of expertise" by making every debate into a do or die situation.

Everytime I read and interact on this forum I realize that there are people out there with much more knowledge and experience, which makes you humble.

Also,one must realize that because of the robust worldwide interest and dramatically commercialized nature of this forum those are a mixed blessing. It takes away from some of the deep-down individual tinkering aspect of the hobby that we were used to on the Yellow and GTA, etc. While being more commercialized, the conversation also heavily focuses on a few star-products, arguably often from the FX product line. I gather it's not easy manage this forum and trying to find a middle path with such geographic diversity and vastly varying interests and experiences.

But yes, I also miss those days of more civil and productive debates and conversations vs the "cancel culture" some are bringing with them from the outside.

Well said...green dot for you!

Kevin is 100% correct about keeping the forums suitable for young readers. 
Nothing more fun then a good debate . It’s difficult to accept contrary opinions especially about things we have strong feelings about. I’m glad that off topic forum has been moderated. Kevins a very nice fellow and he’s very close to his boys. 

We should all be so lucky.

The worst way to be is both critical and overly sensitive. I tend to be that. You? 

There were some sarky comments made in the "7 hour" post , responses that did nothing to help, and they where not meant to help they where put in to vent and ridicule, this is "negativity" at its worst, the OP was a mistake WE all make them.

I assumed he got the message and dropped out, so I did the same.

That said Hanging a man for making a "sarky" comment is no better (indeed worse) than the crime of making the comment in the first place.

good luck all.

Part of commenting or replying on an open forum, the way I see it, is if you can’t make that comment back to a person face to face, don’t do it. Too many times we get chest puffing, cocktail swigging keyboard “tough guys” that I guarantee, would not say half the garbage that comes out of their mouth when confronted in person, unless they like getting their butts handed to them. I see that stuff all the time on other forums. 

These yahoos that say “is this not an open forum, in which I can say what I please” well, you go on with that 6th grade mentality, and don’t be surprised if in time your started threads inquiring for assistance remains unanswered. 

When I first joined here back in 2017, there were the experts that flooded this forum with information rich in knowledge. I, too, have noticed they don’t pop in too much. I also see some folks giving bogus advice, and if I can help, I just send a pm to the OP/Newbie to avoid all the riff raff. I have a feeling these very knowledgeable gurus from the past are working undercover thru pm’s For the same reasons.

Theres a difference between venting, standing on your own soap box, and attacking someone on these forums. 

I really haven’t noticed a lot of negative, at least above the normal background buzz input. Some people are quite opinionated and I take those in stride. 
When I get on AGN I’m looking for very specific information for problems I’m having. I don’t have time to read trash talk so when I recognize it then I skip it. 

Now out of frustration with a certain airgun, I have mentioned that I have another I go to when I just want to shoot. I love them both but I do get tired of adjusting and readjusting and just want to enjoy trouble-free shooting sometimes. I suppose this is negative but I’m only human.... I think. 

Anyway people spend a lot of money for this sport and they tend to get a bit grumpy when things don’t go right and I think in many cases the grumbling is justified. You spend $2-3K and you want something for the money. That goes for malfunctioning guns to slow shipping to whatever. I recently got 180 bucks worth of pellets that were mislabeled. Took forever to get them replaced but I kept my cool on AGN and with the vendor but I was really getting uptight about it all. It was resolved. Now attacking one another and name calling should earn warnings from the Moderators. 
Just my opinion.