• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What’s with all the negativity on AGN lately?

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well and getting by in these tough and trying times. I have something that’s been bothering me for a while and although I usually try and stay positive, this has been bothering me enough that I wanted to point it out and politely ask those doing it to stop. My boys, ages 10 and 13 frequent this site along with other kids, women and people that don’t care to see all the negativity. 

I love AGN and try to frequent it at least once a day if I have time, sometimes more, often a lot more. I always try to keep my comments nice, respectful and be as friendly as can be. If I can offer some advise or help someone with their question, I do. I have made a ton of very good friends that I talk with often, either on the phone or via e-mail. There are even more that I don’t talk with or e-mail but do private message through AGN. I get a lot of people that private message questions about the Impact, slug testing, checking on my boys or whatever. Often, theses quick little messages asking for help turn into great friendships.

Lately on AGN there seems to be a huge influx of new members which is phenomenal. That is the point isn’t it? AGN is here to grow our sport, this web site, help the retailers and manufacturers survive, to learn about the products we use and hopefully make some friends. I’m not bashing these new members at all, for the most part, new members are a little reserved at first and totally respectful. It seems to be the members that have been around a while and start to feel comfortable that are being very negative lately....Making threats, arguing with other members, trying to intimidate buyers or sellers, bashing a certain brand of gun or optic, berating a particular retailer, talking smack about the customer service dept. at a particular manufacturer, complaining about shippers who are completely overwhelmed right now or even being overly sarcastic with members. WHY? What’s the point? It’s just toxic and kind of a bummer. Don’t we already have enough negativity and things to worry about in 2020? Yes we do, it’s been a stressful year. 

I come to AGN to interact with people that I enjoy, learn something from the people with a wealth of knowledge, help somebody if I can, sharing the exploits of my boys, to meet new people and basically unwind from a stressful day. I am not directing this message at any one person or any particular group of people. It is however, a very small percentage of members that seem to always be bashing, complaining, intimidating, threatening, or hating on a manufacturer or products. If you have information about a product, retailer or manufacturer that will save somebody a headache in the future or you bought a product that is defective or inferior, sure, share that with everybody. If you’re just bashing a company, a product, trying to intimidate someone or be malicious...save it, especially if you don’t even own the product and it’s just “what you heard”. We are not all going to get along, we aren’t all going to like and use the same products, we are going to disagree on things and share differing opinions. Some of us might love FX air guns and others have a thing for Daystate. you might like to do business with Airguns of Arizona while I prefer Utah Airguns, you like shooting a .22 and I prefer a .30, I like DonnyFl moderators and you prefer 0dB, you don’t touch your guns and I like to tinker, I pay top dollar for quality scopes and you prefer to use less expensive models, I really like O’doyle and think he’s got a lot of great information while you think he’s a big turd(sorry O’Doyle, couldn’t resist. I just crack myself up. The point is, we’re all different. We can all be different and still act like big boys...Be nice, pleasant, respectful and friendly with your peers. If you have a problem with a particular company or product like an Impact, tell us the problem and what FX has done to remedy the problem. Don’t just say, “FX sucks, their customer service sucks, everyone knows it, you’re a dumb jerk for buying one, you get what you deserve“. That’s just childish.

I know some of you aren’t going to like this post and some are going to bash me for it. I’m fine with that because the people who are doing what I’m speaking about here and think I’m being ridiculous are the ones I’m talking about. Normally I would just disregard the negative messages but part of the reason this bothers me is because my boys, 10 and 13 years, other young children, women, religious people, sensitive people and many with different values, frequent this site. I’m just asking politely that we keep it friendly, respectful and positive. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Stoti

(BASH)...(!!!)

I really dislike Hatsan's CRAPPY MACHINE WORK!!!

Have another Flash and Vectis inbound though...(grin)...(...)

I really think Athlons are too overpriced!!!

I got 2 different model Athlons inbound right now...

Why do FiX-ers constantly want to put HUMA regulators in their guns? Why FiX something that ain't broke?

I got a HUMA and Plenum inbound for a WC2 compact...

Q- Is anything to NOT grumble about?

A- Check my Avatar?

I'm not trying to bash your post, Kevin . . . but that last paragraph was giganto and tough to get all the way through but I persevered because it was you and figured it would be worth reading ;)

I totally agree - I've been put off by a lot of the bickering lately. Maybe everybody's in a generally foul mood because of COVID or maybe it's something else altogether but I've noticed the increase in animosity as well. I try to keep things pretty even keeled and objective - but when I tried to provide non-biased feedback on a recently released rifle, there were several fanbois that seemed to get all bent out of shape about it. I come to these forums to learn new things and get different perspectives and AGN is generally a great place for that. If all of us adopted a mob mentality and blindly regurgitated the same things, it'd wouldn't be that helpful for anyone trying to research anything.

In any event, I try to remind myself that you're dealing with all sorts of people from all walks of life so I try to build in a little more buffer for understanding why/what people say but, man, sometimes it's tough not to stoop to other people's levels and start in with the abrasiveness, name calling, etc.

But as usual, it's the small minority that ruin it for the rest of us. Most folks on here are great to interact with; the wealth of experience and knowledge is amazing.

From my personal experience, it's not just happening at AGN, but at most forums, social media(twitter) and entertainment platforms. The last few years have seen historical role models that we used to look up upon and respect, instead, use these platforms to attack, bully and denigrate others with differing viewpoints. It has happened so much in the last few years that it has almost normalized. The behavior you are seeing and describing above is just a flow down behavior that started from the top and is normalizing its way down stream...

Well this is a public forum and each are entitled to their own opinions rather it is right or wrong. I would say its very easy to bypass any negative comments or people. It's your fault if you sit there and read negative comments/ posts IMO. That's what's great about it is the freedom to express your feelings and not be dictated! Here's a good example...what others eat don't make you poop!! To me these type of post are just as bad as what your talking about stirring up the pot.

I'm not trying to bash your post, Kevin . . . but that last paragraph was giganto and tough to get all the way through but I persevered because it was you and figured it would be worth reading ;)

I totally agree - I've been put off by a lot of the bickering lately. Maybe everybody's in a generally foul mood because of COVID or maybe it's something else altogether but I've noticed the increase in animosity as well. I try to keep things pretty even keeled and objective - but when I tried to provide non-biased feedback on a recently released rifle, there were several fanbois that seemed to get all bent out of shape about it. I come to these forums to learn new things and get different perspectives and AGN is generally a great place for that. If all of us adopted a mob mentality and blindly regurgitated the same things, it'd wouldn't be that helpful for anyone trying to research anything.

In any event, I try to remind myself that you're dealing with all sorts of people from all walks of life so I try to build in a little more buffer for understanding why/what people say but, man, sometimes it's tough not to stoop to other people's levels and start in with the abrasiveness, name calling, etc.

But as usual, it's the small minority that ruin it for the rest of us. Most folks on here are great to interact with; the wealth of experience and knowledge is amazing.

I tried to dumb it down for you Yen (LOL), when I got finished, I realized it was still way too long but I am too lazy to go back and rewrite it and had faith you could make it to the end! 

I realize these are tough times and some have it good while others are downright suffering. I was not directing this at any one person because it’s not just one person doing it. I realize there are a lot of people in a tough spot right now, they have a legitimate reason to be in a foul mood and make rude or angry posts. I get it, I really do! I was trying to make this post as more of a reminder than anything else. To let everyone know that this forum is frequented by young children, old women and everything between. Just because something doesn’t offend us doesn’t mean it won’t offend someone else. Like I said, many, like myself, come to AGN to relax and unwind. I have a hard time unwinding if everyone is being disrespectful with each other, arguing, bashing, threatening, complaining and just being rude. It really isn’t that hard to be nice and upbeat if you make a conscious effort.

Have a great evening.

Stoti

(BASH)...(!!!)

I really dislike Hatsan's CRAPPY MACHINE WORK!!!

Have another Flash and Vectis inbound though...(grin)...(...)

I really think Athlons are too overpriced!!!

I got 2 different model Athlons inbound right now...

Why do FiX-ers constantly want to put HUMA regulators in their guns? Why FiX something that ain't broke?

I got a HUMA and Plenum inbound for a WC2 compact...

Q- Is anything to NOT grumble about?

A- Check my Avatar?

ODoyle, I think it would probably be easier And quicker to tell us what guns that you don’t own than to tell us what guns you do own.And have every one in all the calibers available.You’re gonna need a bigger safe. LoL!

Stoti, we have this thing called "paragraphs"... ;) How's that for negative and sarcastic? LOL...

Hahaha, that’s funny. I started off with a couple of paragraphs and then got on a roll. You know I’m OCD so I’m dying to go back and fix it, But...then your post and Yen’s wouldn’t make sense. I’ll let it go for as long as I can. 

Okay, time’s up, the OCD kicked in, I had to fix it(1:27pm) I made it a few minutes!

Have a good one CC. Oh, I’m going to test the “A” today with heavier slugs, all I have is 39gr and 40gr though. I’ll let you know.

Stoti

I am actually a Brit ....so a bit of an Alien on your site. I left Brit forums for the very reason you state but also quite an anti Pistol, overly PC correct brigade which attacked my posts relating to tuning of air pistols....They take a dim view of it.

However, I have not had any such negativity on here and much happier sharing my tuning experiences with my American cousins on here.

Ask your boys to check out my posts in the pistols section and if they need any advice on such, i am happy to help.

Well this is a public forum and each are entitled to their own opinions rather it is right or wrong. I would say its very easy to bypass any negative comments or people. It's your fault if you sit there and read negative comments/ posts IMO. That's what's great about it is the freedom to express your feelings and not be dictated! Here's a good example...what others eat don't make you poop!! To me these type of post are just as bad as what your talking about stirring up the pot.

Yes, you are right, It is a public forum and we’re all entitled to our opinion, I wanted to make people aware, as nicely as I could, so hopefully it wouldn’t happen as often. If the people that are doing it want to continue, that is certainly their right. I am not trying to stir up the pot at all, I’m asking, as sincerely as I can, that the people doing it try to refrain a bit. I’ve got a thick skin but there are others that don’t and I know for a fact, some of them don’t want to see it all the time. Just expressing my feelings, if you don’t want to read it, just bypass it.

Have a good one. Stoti

Reactions: Loren
Baby bottles suck too,wonder if there is a correlation.Just kidding,my way of agreeing with you.

Negative ,an opinion,it can be informative when done right;Bashing something is different,like a grudge.

One thing I have noticed ,there are some that bash something then find out it is their fault because they did not read the instructions or did something wrong,some eat crow and admit it....

I agree, too much "bashing".

Better not shout,better not pout,It is that time of year.

@Stoti: well said

@Rodeo: my mom said the same thing, and I am sure it has value: “If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything…"

Btw, this forum has accuracy points, feel free to award as appropriate, thats why thay are there (I mean, give a negative if you feel a person deserves it) I am sure they (I will) contemplate you giving it snd the reason why.