• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's with all the .25 cal guns for sale?

I've never owned a .25, but I'll offer my take on it. There is huge selection of .22 pellets and guns available, and there is simply not a lot of difference in the effectiveness of the .25 on game. If more killing power is needed, then a .30 might make more sense, and I think the same can be said for long range BR or other target work. To borrow an old phrase, the .25 seems to be "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem". But shooters are fickle. Look at the vast range of centerfire cartridges available, when 2 or 3 are probably all anyone needs for all target and hunting use in the U.S.

Could just be coincidence? But as many find shooting PCPs is quite enjoyable, which means lots of tins down range per month. Plinking and target shooting is way less expensive shooting a .22. If I felt that I wanted to go after bigger critters (raccoons) with my .22 I would try slugs. But like elh0102, if going up in caliber I would bypass straight to the .30 but strictly for hunting. Couldn’t see myself plinking with a .30

I've never owned a .25, but I'll offer my take on it. There is huge selection of .22 pellets and guns available, and there is simply not a lot of difference in the effectiveness of the .25 on game. If more killing power is needed, then a .30 might make more sense, and I think the same can be said for long range BR or other target work. To borrow an old phrase, the .25 seems to be "the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem". But shooters are fickle. Look at the vast range of centerfire cartridges available, when 2 or 3 are probably all anyone needs for all target and hunting use in the U.S.

Gotta disagree. I hunt with both .22 and .25, and the .25 is significantly more effective in many ways. All things being equal, the FPE is generally significantly higher (roughly 25-35FPE for .22 vs. 50-60FPE for .25) but of course this depends on your setup. .25 also tends to add quite a bit to effective range.

I hunt a lot of small game, and the .22 is certainly adequate for that, but the .25 gives me the opportunity to also reliably take larger animals (Raccoons, foxes, etc.) especially during those 50+yd opportunities.

For me, it's just a better setup to have in the woods for all-around hunting opportunities. Rats to Foxes (and arguably even coyotes) it can handle them all quite well.

I've noticed a lot of .25 cal guns for sale both here and at Airgun warriors. What's filling the void? .22? .30? slugs? Just wondering whats trending.

Jerry L.

Correct me if I’m wrong. But I think more specifically what your asking is. “ why are there so many USED .22 cal air guns for sale?”

I too have noticed that. I recently inquired about what air rifle to purchase next. Even stating I wish to stick to .22 cal. I got lots of replies telling me to go with the .25 cal. 
I don’t doubt it’s a great little round but for where I shoot. Like my back yard. There is no safe way for me to shoot that. And when I do have the space. Honestly I’ll just shoot my 22 LR. 
So, I think it’s people jumping on the band wagon. They soon find out that it is too much gun. Or it could go the other way also and they are so impressed with it they step up to a .30. 
That’s my thoughts. 

As a newbie, and one without a whole lot of money, I did a lot of research for my first air rifle. My requirements:

1. Affordable

2. Quiet! Very Quiet because it will be used in my backyard for targets and varmints

3. Able to take down everything from a chipmunk to a racoon, coyote

4. Modable

5. Aftermarket parts are available at reasonable prices.

6. Not single shot

After lurking on this site and others, viewing lots of hours of video on YouTube and researching other sites online I came up with this setup:

Benjamin Marauder in .25

DonnyFL Sumo moderator

ATN X-Sight 4K 5-20 (refurbished) with ABL1000 and remote control (refurbished) (they threw the remote in for free) and ATN Supernova IR Light

Tim Hill Depinger

Tim Hill Front Strap with rail

Tim Hill Rifle Premium Matched Parts kit

To me, this made the most sense until I get totally used to using air rifles and see if I would be interested in getting more involved. I can pass this on to my grandson and get a better setup, if necessary, in the years ahead.

I've noticed a lot of .25 cal guns for sale both here and at Airgun warriors. What's filling the void? .22? .30? slugs? Just wondering whats trending.

Jerry L.

Correct me if I’m wrong. But I think more specifically what your asking is. “ why are there so many USED .22 cal air guns for sale?”

I too have noticed that. I recently inquired about what air rifle to purchase next. Even stating I wish to stick to .22 cal. I got lots of replies telling me to go with the .25 cal. 
I don’t doubt it’s a great little round but for where I shoot. Like my back yard. There is no safe way for me to shoot that. And when I do have the space. Honestly I’ll just shoot my 22 LR. 
So, I think it’s people jumping on the band wagon. They soon find out that it is too much gun. Or it could go the other way also and they are so impressed with it they step up to a .30. 
That’s my thoughts.

I don’t think .25 and .30 airguns can be considered “backyard friendly” unless you have a huge property. I can shoot out to 100 yards from the house. And even further out back, but I wouldn’t hunt with a .25 or .30 I do have neighbors and all the considerations applied to rimfires would apply to the .25 and .30.

Jerry L.

That’s my thoughts.

I don’t think .25 and .30 airguns can be considered “backyard friendly” unless you have a huge property. I can shoot out to 100 yards from the house. And even further out back, but I wouldn’t hunt with a .25 or .30 I do have neighbors and all the considerations applied to rimfires would apply to the .25 and .30.

But if you tune the gun down for lower velocity, wouldn't that make a difference?

Thank @L.Leon, I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but for people like me who are just starting, and want to run from little to fairly large varminting, my thought was that I could mod to a tunable rifle and make it safe for backyard and more powerful for regular, woods hunting.

As long as it makes sense for you and you’re shooting safely, you’re good to go.