• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What’s up with the Skout Epoch 🤨

Ive been to to every EBR since 2016 and every RMAC. Prone shooting is one difference between the two, but Open is a bench competition limited to .35 caliber and 22lb rifles.

This is a good basic overview:

So EBR has a prone competition/class or one can choose prone vs bench? Personally I prefer prone position.

Generally at events like EBR, bipods are what are seen most often used at the bench. I believe the same is true for RMAC. Isn't F-class only prone? What's the difference between Open F-class and standard F-class, also known as 'belly Benchrest' by some?
True. A good majority of the Benchrest shooters use a front bipod and rear bag rest at EBR and RMAC.

The SKOUT II will have Bluetooth connectivity and a “bottle biocam”. Which doesn’t allow a shot if it senses any biological creature in front of muzzle. You leave the gun on the bench set up. Go watch the footfall game. When conditions are “perfect” you get a signal of sorts. Bullseyes! Perfect, one hole groups while sitting on the potty even!🙀😀🙈

P.S. I kid, of course.
Even Dana's FUX gun won't do that!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
The EPOCH is around 10 lbs without any attachments. 300 yds is as far as I've seen in airgun competition.
I've seen two shots 3" center to center at 2021 EBR at 394 yards made by the REAPER with the Bushbuck 45. Incredible two shots at the bonus target. I like the 100 yard Benchrest personally, but a lot of smaller events are trying to go long range now. 200, 300, and 400 yards etc. Mostly they miss and don't have any reliability when it comes to accuracy. Now when I get invited to long distance shoots, I typically don't bring my camera.

Reactions: JoePolanco
I'm interested in buying and reviewing the Epoch but it's out of my budget at the moment, I need another €1500 to be able to afford it.

I have seen a few videos on the rifle and the shooting video from the Skout Airguns youtube channel felt pretty meh.

The impression I get is that it's a pretty standard rifle with some expensive features thrown in. I'm not impressed but then again I haven't used or know anyone who has the rifle. The thing I'm most interested in are future products, I really like how the transfer port works. I believe the tech in the Epoch could/should be used in another rifle that's purpose built for long range precision. I think it could also work quite well for an airbow.

I'm very interested in the technology in the rifle and wondering how it could be used to make a semi/full auto airgun. It's probably years away but I'm curious if they have any plans to make a high precision type rifle or if they will just make a Epoch 2.0 that sorts out whatever kinks will be found during the coming months.

I don't know if it's possible but if there was one feature I would love it would be the option to swap the voice/sound files to custom ones. This way you could add custom translations, sound effects or whatever weeaboo things people might like :unsure:

Reactions: JoePolanco
Our testing of our .30cal Skout Epoch is just starting, (the cold, wind, rain and snow just keeps coming hear out west), but we are very impressed with the build quality, low pressure tune performance, with NO REG CREEP, and super fast response time from the reg.

Here is a little video we made of the regulator gauge while shooting. This is the fastest to get back to the set position I have ever seen!!! And that is very important for speed shooting events... and if you want to get a lot of shots off in bench rest while the wind conditions are good..

BTW I saw a video review of the FX Panthra and the regulator was filling the power plenum at about 25% as fast as the Epoch.. or the Epoch was 3 times faster to fully recover for the next shot... from my observations anyway.

We also made a video of speed shooting it at 100 yards testing the lighting fast sidelever. That was a full mag of 22 shots in 44 seconds. The group was about 1 1/4" high by 3" wide in a 2 - 11 mph wind... but 12 of the 22 were in one hole. Again speed shooting, and not holding for the wind.

I'll post that video when we get done editing.

Wayne

Last edited:
The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. Check out these chrony numbers from the other day:

1680666055658.png

I also recently did a video where I tore the thing down to the valve. It's a super simple and elegant design. Maintenance is a breeze. Here is that video:

As a 25 year old airgun lunatic.

You cannot compare Skout air rifles to FX, there is just no way that is fair. First of all FX started in 1999, thats 24 years ago!

This company launched their first rifle in 2023, there are going to be some qc issues, no gun is perfect and no brand is perfect, every brand has its flaws or weaknesses.

FX has problems also, just look at the panthera video's of leaking guns and quality control issues. I remember when the first model of Impact's were launched, there were massive problems, but they fixed it just like how a normal company would.

Personally i don't really like the design of the Epoch, it's looks like a beefed up version of the Kral Shadow puncher, and it's very heavy, 10 lbs without any attachments. but hey, each airgunner has its own taste.

Also few words about FX.

They are extremely skilled in their marketing skills, just look at the popular air rifle channels. Matt Dubber, Ted, Airgungearshow, they are all heavily sponsored by FX, because they know more media = more sales. They completely taken over the popular air rifles channels by storm, and i must admit the Impact looks amazing, with a DonnyFL a nice big scope on it, it makes you want it, that is wat marketing is about.

Also if any new airgunners are reading this. You really don't need a Impact M3, with a Kahles scope, Athlas Bi-Pod, and newest gear, to pop coke cans at 50 yards. A Secondhand Kral breaker bullpup can do the same, or taking a pigeon at 30 yards, heck even my 18 year old Gamo breakbarrel can do that.

I think people are spending way too much money, on the things they do. You really don't need to spend 5K dollars to have some fun. Don't get me wrong, im not hating on FX by any means, they make fantastic guns, just shared the marketing tactic they use.

I got a chance to shoot the Epoch 30 cal with the -1 barrel and the 44.74 and 50 gr JSB pellets. The wind was swirling and varied from 4-9mph in the canyon at my home 100 yard range. I held in the same spot on the 1" grid target, and let the wind do what it does to see the how well the pellets and barrel can do on their own. I shot 5- five shot groups.

The lower two targets were when the wind was at it's highest. The canyon tends to cause some up and downs as well as the wind switches in direction, but I like that all 25 shots stayed within 1" vertically. When we shot at the level gun range in switching winds the vertical range stayed within 1/2" at 100 yards..
The upper left bull was shot with rapid fire as fast as I could shoot.

That seems to happen often that my best groups are when shooting faster with this gun. I'm sure part of it is the wind has less time to change on me, but I would not be able to take advantage of that, if the gun was jumping all around after each shot and bouncing me off target, and if the guns regulator, firing system and valving systems didn't preform and recover so quickly. The low pressure the gun will operate on, (these groups were shot with the high reg on 1,350psi and the valve operating reg at 120.) allows all the power needed without all the barrel flip normally that comes with it.

I'm really happy with this Air Rifles performance.

Wayne
and here are the results:

IMG_2313.JPG

Well, I agree with you here. The Epoch is light-years ahead of any of the current FX guns in quality and technology.

While I agree that they are completely different especially on the technology applied but I would not say it's light-years ahead. It is NOT a new technology, the quality side I would agree to a degree. Their design principles are completely different so how they manufacture things are quite different, FX primarily aiming for light weight vs Skout isn't so design choices are different, both have very tight tolerances. In some point of view the Skout is much better designed and made, but it comes in at a penalty like weight. While I get why people marvel the shiny and build like tank quality but it isn't great for every application. Skout has great potential and if they can make some changes they can be great.

AND at the end of the day let the targets do the talking……..may the best marksman win with the gun of he/she competes with.

Last edited:
While I agree that they are completely different especially on the technology applied but I would not say it's light-years ahead. It is NOT a new technology, the quality side I would agree to a degree. Their design principles are completely different so how they manufacture things are quite different, FX primarily aiming for light weight vs Skout isn't so design choices are different, both have very tight tolerances. In some point of view the Skout is much better designed and made, but it comes in at a penalty like weight. While I get why people marvel the shiny and build like tank quality but it isn't great for every application. Skout has great potential and if they can make some changes they can be great.

AND at the end of the day let the targets do the talking……..may the best marksman win with the gun of he/she competes with.
I think your assessment is right on. Having had a chance to just hold one from another forum member here the Epoch's are very nice better in some ways than an FX not as good in others. It really depends on what you need a rifle to do and how much you are willing to pay for that. I do think it may cause FX to up their game in competition rifles especially if guys get on the podiums with them this year. Competition is a good thing so it will be interesting to watch how it all unfolds.

There are a bunch of them being shot at NAC this weekend from what I gather, I have held one and it is one of the most unwieldy rifles in airguns. Should be bolted right to the bench. With that said I am curious to see if it out performs rifles 2/3 or even half the cost at this event.

I am of the idea that FX rifles and the Skout are designed with a very different objective:

Skout is designed to work well and easily.

FX are designed to be sold in mass and focused to sell to users A LOT of gadgets in order to sell the sensation that they achieved perfection.

Very different purpose.

In the business of the Barbie doll, the cheapest article was the doll.

I am of the idea that FX rifles and the Skout are designed with a very different objective:

Skout is designed to work well and easily.

FX are designed to be sold in mass and focused to sell to users A LOT of gadgets in order to sell the sensation that they achieved perfection.

Very different purpose.

In the business of the Barbie doll, the cheapest article was the doll.

Most guns are designed with ability for attachments or upgrades, just look at ARs, or a platform. If one of the Skout’s design goal is to be at 6lbs I’m sure it won’t be as “built like a tank”.

Pretty sure SKOUT did not get into the maket to sell to only select few, as 2 completely separate businesses I am fairly certain they share a common goal of selling as many guns to the masses as possible.

Reactions: kayaker