• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What’s up with the Skout Epoch 🤨

..... your only post is here in a skout thread? That group is IMO is not the group of a phenomenal piece of machinery.. just because it cost a lot doesn't mean its great.

Ive also handled a skout and its so massive and awkward it belongs bolted down to a bench in my opinion.

Heres a 50 yard 11 shot group with a .25 Airacuda Max for $420.00

View attachment 343842
My $300-$500 krals give me very similar groups as well. Can't believe the money some people drop on these new "wonder guns".

..... your only post is here in a skout thread? That group is IMO is not the group of a phenomenal piece of machinery.. just because it cost a lot doesn't mean its great.

Ive also handled a skout and its so massive and awkward it belongs bolted down to a bench in my opinion.

Heres a 50 yard 11 shot group with a .25 Airacuda Max for $420.00

View attachment 343842

Skout Epoch .25 cal preproduction gun.
Blue diamond = 1/2 M.O.A. @ 100yds.

Screenshot_20230401_013621_Gallery.jpg

OMG, the trolls are out in force here. FYI GoG Paintball, Skouts owners, have been in business since 1989 !....lol
You saying they still have “smart parts paintball “ ? Because we used them exclusively in tournament paintball, years ago and they went under ( closed shop). Couldn’t buy parts or anything for them after that. Threw away 1000 s of dollars of high priced markers we did , because of it. They Left us in a very bad situation, I personally will never buy anything from them again.

I love a good shot count man , I know @L.Leon gets good shot counts out of his tube rifles tuned how they are, my huben k1 .22 is 130+ shots per fill not even filled to the max making 25 fpe and it too is a tube. Also a small handy rifle. I think you're 100% right with the last statement.
Yeah good shot count has its place. I think for hunting if I can get. 30-40 shots, that is all I need. Usually 9/10 times I don't even take a shot. The other 1/10 of the time I might have 1-7 shots depending on if there are a few squirrels out or whatever I'm going after. So for hunting I don't really need the shot count.

However, for backyard plinking shot count is nice. Sidewinder in .22 at 12fpe gets like 300 shots, insane. New BRK Pathfinder in the 12fpe model gets around 200 shots, insane. I think the shot count though is not a end all be all, but should be balanced against the activity that your doing. If it's punching paper, then high shot count definitely helps in trigger time. For other applications I guess the shot count isn't a priority for me. Do you guys feel the same? Especially for hunting?

Reactions: qball and L.Leon
Yeah good shot count has its place. I think for hunting if I can get. 30-40 shots, that is all I need. Usually 9/10 times I don't even take a shot. The other 1/10 of the time I might have 1-7 shots depending on if there are a few squirrels out or whatever I'm going after. So for hunting I don't really need the shot count.

However, for backyard plinking shot count is nice. Sidewinder in .22 at 12fpe gets like 300 shots, insane. New BRK Pathfinder in the 12fpe model gets around 200 shots, insane. I think the shot count though is not a end all be all, but should be balanced against the activity that your doing. If it's punching paper, then high shot count definitely helps in trigger time. For other applications I guess the shot count isn't a priority for me. Do you guys feel the same? Especially for hunting?
It is for me for ratting but really that's about it. My huben .22 I can rat all night and not need to fill. I have shot as many as 50 rats a night and combined closed to 80 or 90 with a second pester.

You saying they still have “smart parts paintball “ ? Because we used them exclusively in tournament paintball, years ago and they went under ( closed shop). Couldn’t buy parts or anything for them after that. Threw away 1000 s of dollars of high priced markers we did , because of it. They Left us in a very bad situation, I personally will never buy anything from them again.
Of course you won’t be, they’re closed.

Smart Parts, didn't take the money and run, they became insolvant and filed for liquidation in order to satisfy their creditors. Their assets were picked up by Kee Action Sports. It was Kee's decision to not support the line. Once Smart Parts was acquired they were out of the loop and had no say as to what became of the lines, the products or the distribution chain.

Last edited:
Man, this thread makes me want to buy a SKOUT to see what all the anxiety is about. 😁

I M O, "the anxiety" is virtually all conjecture based on either sour grapes experiences from the past with other products or simply envy over that which for many will be seen as unattainable. You don't see any owners whining about the gun and that's not an accident. SKOUT has deliberately chosen to delay much of the line (only the .30 is currently available) because as yet, the rest of the line has not lived up to expectation. For those who pre-ordered other calibers, monetary consessions and even full refunds have been proffered. All the whining I've seen is much to do about nothing. For those in the market for a .30 caliber competion gun, the EPOCH is there and ready to meet that challenge head on. Everybody else, will simply have to wait.

Reactions: whyzee

The reality is that the EPOCH has been primarily purpose built (for better or worse) for the competitive Open F-Class bench shooter. Yes it can fill virtually any niche, but those choosing to use it for plinking or stalk hunting may find it not the best choice for those activities. The gun is heavy (by design) and lets face it, it's expensive. There are those that are going to say that it's not a bench gun either due to lack of a bottom rail. However, I'd venture to say that those folks are benchrest hobbyists. A top of the heap bench gun will generally be shot from a top of the heap front rest not a bi-pod. F-Class open shooters can use bi-pods if they so choose, but most will use a purpose built front rest and a rear bag.

You don't need a jack hammer to occasionally drive a few nails. By the same token, the EPOCH is overkill in the extreme for plinking and pesting although if you can afford it for that, it can certainly get the job done just as a Bently can be used as a pizza delivery vehicle. Possibly not the best choice, but memorable none the less...lol

The reality is that the EPOCH has been primarily purpose built (for better or worse) for the competitive Open F-Class bench shooter. Yes it can fill virtually any niche, but those choosing to use it for plinking or stalk hunting may find it not the best choice for those activities. The gun is heavy (by design) and lets face it, it's expensive. There are those that are going to say that it's not a bench gun either due to lack of a bottom rail. However, I'd venture to say that those folks are benchrest hobbyists. A top of the heap bench gun will generally be shot from a top of the heap front rest not a bi-pod. F-Class open shooters can use bi-pods if they so choose, but most will use a purpose built front rest and a rear bag.

You don't need a jack hammer to occasionally drive a few nails. By the same token, the EPOCH is overkill in the extreme for plinking and pesting although if you can afford it for that, it can certainly get the job done just as a Bently can be used as a pizza delivery vehicle. Possibly not the best choice, but memorable none the less...lol
Generally at events like EBR, bipods are what are seen most often used at the bench. I believe the same is true for RMAC. Isn't F-class only prone? What's the difference between Open F-class and standard F-class, also known as 'belly Benchrest' by some?

What's the difference between Open F-class and standard F-class, also known as 'belly Benchrest' by some?
Ive been to to every EBR since 2016 and every RMAC. Prone shooting is one difference between the two, but Open is a bench competition limited to .35 caliber and 22lb rifles.

This is a good basic overview:

Ive been to to every EBR since 2016 and every RMAC. Prone shooting is one difference between the two, but Open is a bench competition limited to .35 caliber and 22lb rifles.

This is a good basic overview:

Also, how heavy is the Skout? Per the F-Class rules it says 22lbs...? Are you trying to hit 600 yards? Or is there an airgun class for belly bench?