• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Whats The Quietest PCP You Have Shot?

So I have had a bunch of pcps now some low middle and now high end ones. I have shifted my needs and kind of want the quietest I can get. I have been doing some pest stuff and want it as quiet as can be. I may just be spoiled with my 10fpe dreamtac that I can shoot at anytime because it's that quiet. I have a dreamtac, crown, impact, veteran, and a L2. Even moderated is fine just looking to see what others have found.
20221001_225917.jpg
20220815_011214.jpg
20220731_000616.jpg
20220714_011744.jpg
20220712_230327.jpg

Nice set of artillery there, Matt. You sure got some handsome guns that’s for sure! 👍👌😃

I have to agree with ELH0102, in that power level dictates the rapport volume, unless you throw some behemoth moderator on a 90 ft lb 30 cal to make it sound like a PRod pushing 15-22 ft lbs. Me, personally, I detest the whole “mouse fart quiet” when describing sound levels of a pcp as I’ve never heard one that quiet. Closest I’ve heard to really quiet is a sharp PFFFFTTT out of my marauder 25 doing 40 ft lbs.

Neil Clague was right when he told me the best test to a moderator is to be outside, away from walls, fences or anything that could contain the rapport or bounce off of. I told myself my rapport from my hugget snipe on all my fx guns are a “it is what it is” till I went to RMAC and finally shot outdoors, then realized my gun was just as quiet as the rest of the shooters. I always felt my guns were a bit loud for the power levels i shoot at, but I always shoot from the inside of my garage out to my 75 yard front lawn target set ups. Big difference when shooting outside vs inside.

The one gun that caught my attention with how quiet it was, was Ernest Rowe’s highly tuned impact 30 pushing the 44.75’s at 877 FPS. That thing was so stinking quiet, but still not a “mouse fart quiet”.

The true test is my dogs. If I fire the gun and I don’t wake them up and get them barking, then that’s ok, lol

Last edited:
My dreamline would be my current quietest, but it’s also my lowest power. Running 20fpe in .22.
I believe my crown is going to be fairly quiet once I get the right moderator for it. With the fat boy and extension chamber, it was pretty quiet, but I know the fat boy isn’t known for being the most quiet option. My crown is pushing 18g .22 at 960, so I’d say if that is this quiet, I’m impressed.
like Augie and others have said, it’s more about power levels than anything. Getting a high power gun really quiet is very hard.

Marauder pistol with Donny FL Sumo. All I can hear is the clunk of the action and the pellet impact. Tuned for JSB 18gr @ 700 fps.
Vewwwy vewwwy kwiet huhuhuhuhuhuhhh <Elmer Fudd laugh>
I think the combination of expansion volume from both the shroud and the moderator make the most difference.

Marks PROD w DonnyFL Sumo Suppressor 20171202.jpg

Last edited: