• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's the most bang for the buck in a 6-24 FFP with really clear glass ?

If you have good vision the Midas TAC 4-16 is a decent choice because you will be able to see the thin reticle easier. The reticle doesn't work for me having older eyes. It washes out unless I'm looking into a lighter color background and more especially the lower the magnifications like below 12x or so. I sold mine within a few months.

Nowadays I definitely prefer thicker reticles in FFP scopes in the 3-15 and 4-16 magnification range.

If you have good vision the Midas TAC 4-16 is a decent choice because you will be able to see the thin reticle easier. The reticle doesn't work for me having older eyes. It washes out unless I'm looking into a lighter color background and more especially the lower the magnifications like below 12x or so. I sold mine within a few months.

Nowadays I definitely prefer thicker reticles in FFP scopes in the 3-15 and 4-16 magnification range.
Steve, I copy. Do you mind giving an example or two of these thicker reticles/scopes? Thank you. S7

I just picked up another 4-16x44 FFP Vector Veyron in like new condition for $150 here in the classifieds. Short, light, clear at 16X I don't think any other scope comes close to the value. $260 new https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/vector-optics/item/tac-vector-veyron-4-16x44/

VV4.16 - Copy.png

Steve, I copy. Do you mind giving an example or two of these thicker reticles/scopes? Thank you. S7
A thicker reticle I've seen is the Primary Arms 4-14×44.

Another is the Athlon Argos G2 6-24×50 in moa. The PA is thicker i believe.

A really good one is the Athlon Helos G2 2-12. It's a great ffp scope for hunting with an air rifle. I greatly prefer the mil reticle version.

Reactions: PumaCarl
A thicker reticle I've seen is the Primary Arms 4-14×44.

Another is the Athlon Argos G2 6-24×50 in moa. The PA is thicker i believe.

A really good one is the Athlon Helos G2 2-12. It's a great ffp scope for hunting with an air rifle. I greatly prefer the mil reticle version.
I will check these out, especially the Athlon line. Thank you.

Reactions: steve123
Like the title says... What's the most bang for the buck in a 6-24 FFP with really clear glass ? I prefer light and compact but it must have clear glass at 24x.
I say the Vortex AMG 6-24 FFP @ 28.8oz. Clarity to weight ratio is as good as it gets and solid out to 24x. Love mine.

Patrick

Reactions: Sanctify7
Thanks for the information, H-I. I keep hearing about the Midas TAC on AGN. For me, 24 ounces is decent, and while the Midas Tac is two more, it is close and right around the Helix. I am hoping for something around 18 to 20 ounces with the same profile as the Midas or Helix, but that scope may not exist. Also, I presently do not shoot at long, or even mid ranges, so a lower magnification scope with a 40 or 44mm objective lens would probably suit me. Nevertheless, I seem stuck in liking the 6-24x50 scopes. After I told him my concerns, a Pyramyd Air tech recently mentioned the Hawk 3-12x40 Airmax to me. It at least has a 30mm tube. But it does not come too cheaply at $439.99, and it isn’t a feather at 1.26 pounds (about 20 to 21 ounces). Does anyone have any thoughts about Hawke quality, or anything relevant to my little dilemma? By the way, I have a Hawke Advantage 4-16x44 on a Benjamin Marauder. It seems nice, but I don’t know anything different. Here’s another question, while we are here: Compared to the Hawke Vantage, how much better is the glass on the Airmax, Helix, or Midas TAC? And are any Hawkes comparable to the Midas TAC, and so on. I put out lots of questions, I know. Thanks.
I enjoy the luxury of owning both of the hawke airmax and the athlon Midas Tac scopes and the Midas Tac is in a different class from the hawke airmax. Don’t get me wrong I like both for different reasons but they are not the same.

I enjoy the luxury of owning both of the hawke airmax and the athlon Midas Tac scopes and the Midas Tac is in a different class from the hawke airmax. Don’t get me wrong I like both for different reasons but they are not the same.
Greetings.
At this point, I now own three scopes: the Hawke Vantage 3-12x44 (SFP), the Hawke Sidewinder 6.5-20x44 (SFP), and the Element Helix 4-16x44 (FFP). I have yet had the time to do good comparisons. The Helix is mounted on a Crown MK II, which I need to zero in. The comments about the Airmax and the Midas TAC were helpful. Thank you. S7

Reactions: MikeAndrews