• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

What's the most bang for the buck in a 6-24 FFP with really clear glass ?

For the buck I would say the Arken SH4. It is big and heavy though.
I would actually put the SH4 in second place behind the EP5. I have had an SH4 and just picked up the EP5. The glass is MUCH better, not that the SH4 was terrible. My EP5 is very good and competes well against some of my upper tier scopes. Arken is currently doing a 25% discount on their scopes, you also might want to check with @douger to see what he can get you one for. I was going to order one from him but ended up getting one here on a trade. The scopes are very heavy, but also well built. They have a 25 yard minimum parallax, so keep this in mind if you are shooting close in. I’m thinking about trying to adjust mine down to 10 yards but need to look at it more first to see if that can be done.

Reactions: jps2486
Like the title says... What's the most bang for the buck in a 6-24 FFP with really clear glass ? I prefer light and compact but it must have clear glass at 24x.
H-I, What do you consider light? 1.5 lbs. or so? I am interested in the very same thing you are. Some well-meaning folks on this thread are not addressing the weight directly or at all (no offense, guys). I like to hear the ounces. That gets me specifics.
Thanks to all.

Reactions: Mr.H
H-I, What do you consider light? 1.5 lbs. or so? I am interested in the very same thing you are. Some well-meaning folks on this thread are not addressing the weight directly or at all (no offense, guys). I like to hear the ounces. That gets me specifics.
Thanks to all.
24oz or so and the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 is probably best all around at 26oz and costing about $540.

I have a Vector Veyron 6-24x44 FFP on my .22 Avenger that is 11.7 inches long and weighs 20.5oz and costs around $280 for the ir model that lights only the center dot. I think the non ir can be had around $50 cheaper. The glass is clear to the edge at 24x but I'm sure it doesn't gather as much light as the larger more expensive scopes and it's a little more picky on eye relief to maintain a full sight but overall a great scope. I would love to own the Athlon but I'm retired and need to make the most of my money so the Vector Veyron 6-24x44 FFP will probably be my go to being the most bang for the buck.

Reactions: Mr.H
24oz or so and the Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 is probably best all around at 26oz and costing about $540.

I have a Vector Veyron 6-24x44 FFP on my .22 Avenger that is 11.7 inches long and weighs 20.5oz and costs around $280 for the ir model that lights only the center dot. I think the non ir can be had around $50 cheaper. The glass is clear to the edge at 24x but I'm sure it doesn't gather as much light as the larger more expensive scopes and it's a little more picky on eye relief to maintain a full sight but overall a great scope. I would love to own the Athlon but I'm retired and need to make the most of my money so the Vector Veyron 6-24x44 FFP will probably be my go to being the most bang for the buck.
Thanks for the information, H-I. I keep hearing about the Midas TAC on AGN. For me, 24 ounces is decent, and while the Midas Tac is two more, it is close and right around the Helix. I am hoping for something around 18 to 20 ounces with the same profile as the Midas or Helix, but that scope may not exist. Also, I presently do not shoot at long, or even mid ranges, so a lower magnification scope with a 40 or 44mm objective lens would probably suit me. Nevertheless, I seem stuck in liking the 6-24x50 scopes. After I told him my concerns, a Pyramyd Air tech recently mentioned the Hawk 3-12x40 Airmax to me. It at least has a 30mm tube. But it does not come too cheaply at $439.99, and it isn’t a feather at 1.26 pounds (about 20 to 21 ounces). Does anyone have any thoughts about Hawke quality, or anything relevant to my little dilemma? By the way, I have a Hawke Advantage 4-16x44 on a Benjamin Marauder. It seems nice, but I don’t know anything different. Here’s another question, while we are here: Compared to the Hawke Vantage, how much better is the glass on the Airmax, Helix, or Midas TAC? And are any Hawkes comparable to the Midas TAC, and so on. I put out lots of questions, I know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, H-I. I keep hearing about the Midas TAC on AGN. For me, 24 ounces is decent, and while the Midas Tac is two more, it is close and right around the Helix. I am hoping for something around 18 to 20 ounces with the same profile as the Midas or Helix, but that scope may not exist. Also, I presently do not shoot at long, or even mid ranges, so a lower magnification scope with a 40 or 44mm objective lens would probably suit me. Nevertheless, I seem stuck in liking the 6-24x50 scopes. After I told him my concerns, a Pyramyd Air tech recently mentioned the Hawk 3-12x40 Airmax to me. It at least has a 30mm tube. But it does not come too cheaply at $439.99, and it isn’t a feather at 1.26 pounds (about 20 to 21 ounces). Does anyone have any thoughts about Hawke quality, or anything relevant to my little dilemma? By the way, I have a Hawke Advantage 4-16x44 on a Benjamin Marauder. It seems nice, but I don’t know anything different. Here’s another question, while we are here: Compared to the Hawke Advantage, how much better is the glass on the Airmax, Helix, or Midas TAC? And are any Hawkes comparable to the Midas TAC, and so on. I put out lots of questions, I know. Thanks.
Look at the other compact Vector Veyron scopes 3-12 and 4x16. They're even shorter and lighter, have 30mm tubes and I've never had a problem with them. I own the Veyrons in 3x12, 4x16 and 6x24ir. I also own a 6-24 Vector Taurus. All of them are the best I've seen in their price range.
edgunwest.com/store/optics/vector-optics

Last edited:
I'm pretty impressed with the optical quality of my Cabella's Covenant 4 and 5. Although I understand that Cabella's buy out by Bass Pro shops means that warranty is now suddenly a huge issue, so i can't actually recommend them, but when they go on sale, the bang for buck was really pretty amazing.

I just returned two Sightron Stac (3-16 and 4-20) as to my eyes the optical quality did not come close to my favorite Meopta's. The Optica 5 can be had for close to the price of the sightron in comparable magnification, so no point in not getting them (neither are FFP though) You'd need to jump up to Optika6 for FFP and that gets up to $600.00+ price range.

When the time comes that you are again looking for the next scope consider the athlon Midas Tac. You will find it an excellent value for the money.
I’m running the 4x16 on a wildcat mklll and am very impressed. You might also look at the Bushnell Match Pro 6x24x50 I’m running on another PCP.
Most Importantly enjoy the journey.
Mike

When the time comes that you are again looking for the next scope consider the athlon Midas Tac. You will find it an excellent value for the money.
I’m running the 4x16 on a wildcat mklll and am very impressed. You might also look at the Bushnell Match Pro 6x24x50 I’m running on another PCP.
Most Importantly enjoy the journey.
Mike

From here, MA, I am indeed thinking about the 4-16x Midas TAC. I wish I presently had it and the Helix to do a comparison. It is fun to do the legwork, as you mention. I have a question, please: Have you had a Helix to compare to the Midas Tac? My own eyes have not peered through many scopes at all to be able to speak to most issues. I don’t even have the Helix on my rifle yet, as I am waiting for the rings to come in. All I really know is the Hawke Vantage 3-12x44 which sits on my Benjamin Marauder. Thanks, and take care. S7