What's the high end pcp market look like, and where do we go from here?

Hello, and thanks for giving this a quick read. I'm new to this magical and scientific world of airgunning, and recently decided to pick up on this hobby because, let's be honest, this s*** is amazing! I've been lurking on here for a few days since I've discovered this treasure trove, but wanted to create my first post by asking and understanding what the high end pcp market looks like now, and what might it look like in the near future. 

I understand that at the pinnacle we have companies such as Daystate, FX, etc. but moreover, I'm curious of what innovations these companies are trying to create at this moment in the current pcp market? I know that during these past few years, the pcp innovation has certainly picked up with examples such as regulating guns, bullpup designs/compact tactical designs, semi/full auto, slug liner barrels and interchangeable barrels, big bore advancements, flexibility in adjusting power levels, are all very much trends that are occurring now, but was curious upon hearing what others whom are much more ingrained in this sport than I am of what's going on this day and age in the pcp world? This leads to me also ask what's in store for the future; do companies just keep innovating until we're all using semi/auto airguns in whatever stock/config we prefer? (assuming we're even going to be allowed to get there. I saw a video of a guy converting his 9mm semi [think it was a KG Cricket] from bullpup to pistol). Please enlighten me!

I'd also like to hear more about Daystate as I do not own one of their guns, but they seem to be on the innovative side with their electronics gauges built into their guns (not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing to me; I'm a less is more person). Or any other companies and/or gun models that are on people's radar. (like the Benjamin Maurader semi, Edgun Leshiy 2, etc. Any chance they make the P-rod a semi?? lol). I am all ears. 

Cheers! 

...I just bought another Air Force rifle...

...I do admire all of the new tech but would not touch it with a ten foot pole...just sayin'...

Ditto except for established rifles such as Kaliber, Daystate, etc.

Other than a big bore Texan, my next rifle would probably be a Cricket or Edgun. I like spending good money for good stuff, but it has to be robust and proven. There is nothing wrong with the less flashy proven tool like the Weihrauch, especially when the flashy model stops shooting. Flashy guns that come to mind that I I could imagine being CS nightmares would be the Hatsan Blitz. 

A lot of the time you have to deduce the quality of an item based on the premarket reviews (deduce like Columbo, no?). This deduction process for preorders reminds me of movie commercials you see in cinemas. You know the feeling. You see the advertisement and you get really excited and say to yourself, “that looks blank.” For these premarket reviews that we get as consumers it is murky water in trying to decipher whether or not a product is going to live up to its advertisement. I usually base my expectations on their track record. So going back to the idea of what is next in Airguns, I think we are going to see a lot more hammerless systems for semi and select fire. I think medium calibers will become more popular, and I think that new hybrid slugs will be taking footholds. But I think these progressions (which are only just beginning to mushroom in the market) will get the most traction in dependable tools like the Edguns of the world. 

I love Airforce Airguns, but they do need to put some big girl pants on and do some newer semi auto platforms. 

I would like to see more done with hammerless actions. And more than innovation, I would like to see more emphasis on reliability. Perhaps a paradigm shift away from o-rings, but alas, it seems that we’re light years away from ditching the rubber (that’s what she said
1f92a.svg
).

Haha you beat me to it since I was posting such a long reply. Yeah reliability and hammerless. Next time I will beat you!

Thanks for the replies all. With regards to Airforce developing semi's; perhaps someone upstairs wont approve of that because of the wormhole it might create! (There would be a lot of division amongst the airgun community for sure). For this reason alone, I believe they hadn't even considered or released a repeater yet (that I am aware of), due to the potential ramifications this can create. But yes, one can dream haha! 

I would like to see more done with hammerless actions. And more than innovation, I would like to see more emphasis on reliability. Perhaps a paradigm shift away from o-rings, but alas, it seems that we’re light years away from ditching the rubber (that’s what she said
1f92a.svg
).

Haha you beat me to it since I was posting such a long reply. Yeah reliability and hammerless. Next time I will beat you!

Glad we have the same mindset! Now if we can get all those on this forum and the others to start the hammerless/o-ringless revolution perhaps the companies will follow. Looks like Huben and Edgun are on board.

1f92a.svg
).

Glad we have the same mindset! Now if we can get all those on this forum and the others to start the hammerless/o-ringless revolution perhaps the companies will follow. Looks like Huben and Edgun are on board.

May I ask is, do Huben's make quality or even decent guns? I'm seeing mixed reviews about them, with some proclaiming they are the future, and other's completely ditching them. Not naming any website names, but I talked to a person affiliated and they said they completely stopped stocking up on Huben and now sell the LCS since it's more reliable and American made with an American factory onshore. Appreciate any insight you or anyone may provide. 

1f92a.svg
).

May I ask is, do Huben's make quality or even decent guns? I'm seeing mixed reviews about them, with some proclaiming they are the future, and other's completely ditching them. Not naming any website names, but I talked to a person affiliated and they said they completely stopped stocking up on Huben and now sell the LCS since it's more reliable and American made with an American factory onshore. Appreciate any insight you or anyone may provide.

I have my biases, so it’ll be hard for me to remove them for a neutral answer. I don’t know much about Huben or LCS (the newcomer on the scene). I recall the Huben having a non removable mag, I’m on the fence regarding this feature. I believe it’s Chinese made, but then again, I don’t know.

If you want reliability, I will suggest Edgun, RAW, and Taipan. The later only from reading. Sure there are others, but those are the three which first come to mind.

If you are looking for both reliability and innovation, my best suggestion is to spend the money on the newly redesigned Edgun Leshiy. It’s hammerless and the only pistol which has my interest (airgun or powder burner).

* my post here needs an edit. It’s hard to proclaim reliability on the new Leshiy, but if they are half as good as the other models than they will pass the piss test (excuse my vulgarity, I’ve been cooped up in the house for too long now)

1f92a.svg
).

I have my biases, so it’ll be hard for me to remove them for a neutral answer. I don’t know much about Huben or LCS (the newcomer on the scene). I recall the Huben having a non removable mag, I’m on the fence regarding this feature. I believe it’s Chinese made, but then again, I don’t know.

If you want reliability, I will suggest Edgun, RAW, and Taipan. The later only from reading. Sure there are others, but those are the three which first come to mind.

If you are looking for both reliability and innovation, my best suggestion is to spend the money on the newly redesigned Edgun Leshiy. It’s hammerless and the only pistol which has my interest (airgun or powder burner).

* my post here needs an edit. It’s hard to proclaim reliability on the new Leshiy, but if they are half as good as the other models than they will pass the piss test (excuse my vulgarity, I’ve been cooped up in the house for too long now)

Good stuff, TOP. I actually have a .30 Leshiy 2 350mm on preorder as we speak. Just saw the new configs that came out on the website which excites me even more. Due to a change in my location, the quiet aspect these pcp guns provide is such a thriller to me now, whereas I perhaps would have chuckled at the notion of a $2k airgun a few years ago. 

I am still, however, looking for a .22 bullpup/compact type/TDR gun that's ideally less than 26 - 28 inches (or folded/dissembled) that fits into a medium backpack (around 35 - 50L), and was definitely looking at the cricket or taipan. But with the Edgun on order, it may just make sense to buy the .22 barrel. Never hurts to try new guns though so... decisions, decisions... 

I love Airforce Airguns, but they do need to put some big girl pants on and do some newer semi auto platforms.

If you are going to use a bottle for your buttstock, it should not take 20 years to shape it like a buttstock... Maybe if we did not have carbon fiber I could see the problem ... We do have carbon fiber and there isn't any reason that AF can't offer a stock shaped more or less LIKE a stock.

If you are going to use a bottle for your buttstock, it should not take 20 years to shape it like a buttstock... Maybe if we did not have carbon fiber I could see the problem ... We do have carbon fiber and there isn't any reason that AF can't offer a stock shaped more or less LIKE a stock.

LOL, I don't own a Texan, but now looking at them more closely, it can't be unseen! 

1596860590_2528513835f2e28ae210351.12840304.jpeg
1596860591_16569075255f2e28af2bab96.19768366.jpeg
1596860592_5126097305f2e28b0207a06.84323464.jpeg
1596860593_982640035f2e28b1847b00.95282317.jpeg
1596860594_20484618615f2e28b2619d96.03827919.jpeg
1596860595_395524865f2e28b36280f6.11624162.jpeg

Hello, and thanks for giving this a quick read. I'm new to this magical and scientific world of airgunning, and recently decided to pick up on this hobby because, let's be honest, this s*** is amazing! I've been lurking on here for a few days since I've discovered this treasure trove, but wanted to create my first post by asking and understanding what the high end pcp market looks like now, and what might it look like in the near future. 

I understand that at the pinnacle we have companies such as Daystate, FX, etc. but moreover, I'm curious of what innovations these companies are trying to create at this moment in the current pcp market? I know that during these past few years, the pcp innovation has certainly picked up with examples such as regulating guns, bullpup designs/compact tactical designs, semi/full auto, slug liner barrels and interchangeable barrels, big bore advancements, flexibility in adjusting power levels, are all very much trends that are occurring now, but was curious upon hearing what others whom are much more ingrained in this sport than I am of what's going on this day and age in the pcp world? This leads to me also ask what's in store for the future; do companies just keep innovating until we're all using semi/auto airguns in whatever stock/config we prefer? (assuming we're even going to be allowed to get there. I saw a video of a guy converting his 9mm semi [think it was a KG Cricket] from bullpup to pistol). Please enlighten me!

I'd also like to hear more about Daystate as I do not own one of their guns, but they seem to be on the innovative side with their electronics gauges built into their guns (not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing to me; I'm a less is more person). Or any other companies and/or gun models that are on people's radar. (like the Benjamin Maurader semi, Edgun Leshiy 2, etc. Any chance they make the P-rod a semi?? lol). I am all ears. 

Cheers! 

Bobby -

Per your note above in bold. The Daystate electronics is MUCH more than the gauge(s).

In the Renegade, the trigger is all electronic, and the Pulsar both the trigger and the firing is all electronic. The rest of the Daystate line is also electronic in the action more than just the pressure gauge.

Mike

Cheers! 

Bobby -

Per your note above in bold. The Daystate electronics is MUCH more than the gauge(s).

In the Renegade, the trigger is all electronic, and the Pulsar both the trigger and the firing is all electronic. The rest of the Daystate line is also electronic in the action more than just the pressure gauge.

Mike

Thanks for the insight Mike! I did see some videos explaining how to adjust the settings on the gun (which I think is pretty cool), but I guess I am trying to decipher if all these luxuries might come with incidental costs further down the road. On a side note, the fully waterproof/fully submerged aspect of the gun is pretty cool. 

If you really like high end guns, and can forgoe the magazine, a Thomas is your answer. Nothing super innovative. Adjustable hammer spring and transfer port from the outside. Adjustable reg inside. Only 6 or 7 orings, and 6 moving parts. The most reliable gun I've owned. In over a year of shooting it I've adjusted nothing on it. I simply pull it from the bag when it's time and shoot. I'm so confident in the gun I've skipped sight in at matches.

So yes, all the new cool toy's and tech are cool af. You can't beat the simplicity, ease of use and reliability of a Thomas though.

1596880753_10216491185f2e777109cfd3.03705028.jpg