What's The Difference Between a HW 77 and the HW 97 ?

You answered your own question there: The powerplants are the same, and the velocities will be the same (in a perfect world, each gun is different, and pellet fit will have a big effect here). The marginal difference in barrel length won't have any noticeable effect on power. I've had and tuned both and noticed no difference that I could conclusively say was due to barrel length. 

If you mean the HW77 (the long one, not the "K") it will be a noticeably heavier feeling and more unwieldy beast. Its definitely a more muzzle heavy gun. Personally, I didn't care for the one I had. The ONLY reason I could see getting one is if lower cocking effort was your main objective. The longer underlever will help with that. Otherwise, the HW77K is better in every way I can think of. 

The 77K and 97 handle fairly similarly. I prefer the HW77K over the 97 for the ability to run open sights, and I like the balance a little better. Another little perk is it's easier to clean without having to fish the pull through or rod through the brake on the end of the 97. 

As for caliber, it's an unpopular opinion, but I have never had a great shooting Weihrauch in .22, out of several I've tried. A lot of guys disagree here, and maybe they got lucky. But even most of those guys will admit that theirs are pellet picky at the least. 

I've had multiples of 77, 77K, and 97 over the years. As well a whole bunch of other spring guns of all types. And I can say without a doubt that a 77K or 97 are my favorite and best shooting guns I've ever had. If you can handle the weight, I think you will be very pleased. Their weight is the only con I can think of, and on the other hand, it's one of their biggest pluses when it comes to accuracy.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
One other little tip or note:

I've learned to never go by the specs posted at retailers. Quite often they are wrong or outdated. Just go straight to the source, and try the manufacturer. Here's Weihrauch's site direct: https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles/hw-77-hw-77-k?lang=en

Notice that their specs also conclude my thoughts on the velocity between the 77 and 77K being identical to the 97K. Despite each one of those models (all 3) having a different barrel length: https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles/hw-97-k?lang=en

The 77 have open sights and older ones have a lower comb where as the 97 are scope only guns with higher comb stock.

The front ends are different too.

77 has a simpler under lever looking catch that the spring loaded ball bearing is peened into the lower half of the front sight housing which can go flying out one day. It is easier to cock don't need to push the button up front to release the under lever like you have to do on the 97.

The 97 has a non functional barrel end cap that looks like a silencer as an integral part of the latch mechanism that has a button up front to release the cocking handle.

Later model 77 and 97 may come with the same stock from the factory.

Need open sights no brainer get the 77.

The 97 is for scope only use.

Both are dove tailed with multiple scope stop holes to accept scopes to accommodate rear mount with stop pin sticking down.

77 has a simpler under lever looking catch that the spring loaded ball bearing is peened into the lower half of the front sight housing which can go flying out one day. It is easier to cock don't need to push the button up front to release the under lever like you have to do on the 97.

The 97 has a non functional barrel end cap that looks like a silencer as an integral part of the latch mechanism that has a button up front to release the cocking handle.

All of this is incorrect. 

Current production 77/77K and 97K all have the same push button solid locking underlever catch. There hasn't been one with a ball bearing of any kind since about 1985...

77/77K share the same stock. The 97K has always had its own stock. This has been the case since the 97 came out, many moons ago. 

Well alright! Thx thumper. mmmm,I'm looking hard at that HW 77 limited edition,lol

They are a touch heavier due to the laminate stock, but are real sharp guns. I've "almost" owned one a few times over the years. :)

Don't forget to check Krale if you order one. They are usually cheaper, and almost always faster than AoA or Pyramyd Air. I get a gun from Krale in 3 days. 

I have a 97 purchased used this past fall with a standard stock, It is fantastic. For my next rifle I considered a new 77 with the laminate stock just for the looks but due to eye sight I need to use the scope so I ordered a 97 blue laminate just because of higher comb and I could get one on A of A waiting list. The only difference between them is comb hight or on certain 77 models is the barrel having a shroud or slightly longer barrel while keeping the overall length the same. You will be happy with any of the models or versions of either one I believe it comes down to which you think looks best. The only thing I would avoid is the synthetic stock based on other rifles I own ( not Weihrauch) if you have to remove the stock more than two times you tend to deform the plastic around the screws. The standard wood stocks are high quality and the laminates look cool to me.

The 77 have open sights and older ones have a lower comb where as the 97 are scope only guns with higher comb stock.

The front ends are different too.

Need open sights no brainer get the 77.

The 97 is for scope only use.

Both are dove tailed with multiple scope stop holes to accept scopes to accommodate rear mount with stop pin sticking down.

The barrel end cap isn’t non functional. It comes off to expose a hollow cavity that can be filled with baffles or hair curlers. I got a Tinbum baffle kit for mine. It doesn’t do a lot, but it does make it slightly quieter.
There are also moderator adapters that will thread on.